Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

Help, I edited general10.fx and corrupted my DX10 installation

Hi guys,

I am in desperate need of some help with this one.  So last night I made the stupid mistake of editing a shader file called general10.fx in \FSX\ShadersHLSL\General.  I did this because I stumbled across a post by Steve on his blog which suggested this tweak to fix z buffer issues or texture flickering in DX10.  I have this issue with my UK2000 scenery (Manchester and Heathrow), it's the only issue I've not been able to overcome in DX10 thus far.  I made a copy of the original file before I started.  I edited the .FX file in notepad and inserted the code as per the instructions.  When I launched FSX at Manchester there was no scenery apart from a weird looking green texture on the ground and the sky looked all corrupted.  Oh dear what have I done!  I thought no worries I'll just copy the original general10.fx file back and the problem will go away but this didn't work  So I'm really confused now.  I have found a link to a file library here on AVSIM where I can download the stock ShadersHLSL folder.  I have done this and copied it across but I still have the exact same problem.

So what options do I have now?  I don't understand how I can have the same problem when I have only edited one file, made a backup before hand and copied the original back across?  Is there a Cache folder somewhere I need to clear?  Is the ultimate solution to uninstall the fixer and reinstall?

I would appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Cheers

Sid

Thomas Derbyshire

Close down FSX and your PC and then try - unless you've already tried

Have you deleted the shaders10 folder after making changes? "C:\Users\[you]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders10" - delete and start FSX.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Thanks for the replies guys. 

I have closed/opened FSX obviously but didn't try a PC reboot.  I also haven't deleted the shaders10 folder in AppData either.  I assume this is recreated automatically next time I launch FSX?

Thanks, currently at work but will give this a go later.

Cheers

Sid

Thomas Derbyshire

Yes, if you edit files here:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ShadersHLSL",
delete the folder "C:\Users\[you]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders10",

and a new one is created next time you run the sim.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Thanks guys worked a treat, awesome help!

Thomas Derbyshire