Sign in to follow this  
Demious

Update or reinstall?

What would be the best way to upgrade to Windows 10? Can I update from Windows 7 and does everything work properly, or do I need to do a complete reinstall with Windows 10?

Cheers!

Maarten

You can do an upgrade, or a clean install.

To do the upgrade, download this tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

If you want to clean install, download that same tool and upgrade first. After you're in Windows 10, download the tool again and create an installation disc or USB drive. THEN, finally, reinstall Windows 10 just like you would any other version of Windows.

Thanks Diego. I'm familliar with the procedures, but I was wondering if just updating could maybe cause some issues and if it might be the better choice to do a clean reinstall.

Cheers!

Maarten

Thanks Diego. I'm familliar with the procedures, but I was wondering if just updating could maybe cause some issues and if it might be the better choice to do a clean reinstall.

Some are reporting that everything works fine after the upgrade, some are saying not everything works.

Only one way to find out!

Indeed. I recently upgraded my motherboard, so I did a complete reinstall, so I'm hoping updating works fine. But we'll see what happens, worst case it takes me 2 days to get things going again.

Thanks!

Cheers!

Maarten

If you want to reinstall most things on your system do a clean install.

If you don't then try the update method first.

Update worked well for me.  A few things needed "adjusting," but, in general, it was quite smooth.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

Just as another data point for everyone......I have not moved my flight sim computer to Win 10 yet but I have tried upgrading one other desk top from 7 to 10 and it was a mess. Lots of update errors ect. I ended up just doing a clean install and it now seems to work good now.

I also upgraded a lap top from 8.1 to 10 and that was just a total mess. Hard drive beating it's self to death. Endless loops with Cortana and start button problem. Just kind of trashed it for sure. LOL I will just do a clean install on it today and should fix that up. LOL

So I am Zero for Two in the upgrade side and so I strongly recommend that you consider a Clean install.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

I had quite a few minor issues after updating and decided to do a complete reinstall. It seems that for some it works fine to update, while other are having problems, so I'd say better safe than sorry and reinstall.

Cheers!

Maarten

I Updated my laptop with no problem but haven't updated my sim PC yet.

My question is, I have W7 ultimate 64bit on my PC. If I upgrade what version of W10 do I get? W10 pro 64bit or something else?

Thanks

My question is, I have W7 ultimate 64bit on my PC. If I upgrade what version of W10 do I get? W10 pro 64bit or something else?

Thanks

My question is, I have W7 ultimate 64bit on my PC. If I upgrade what version of W10 do I get?

It will be like for like, you will get Win 10 Pro.  I have Win premuim, so i will get Win home

For me anyway,  i will deffo do a full clean install

Thanks

Thanks

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

Updated: Went very very well everything works, make sure all updates to 8.1 are loaded and all drivers updated, and if you use OrbX the TODO file is removed

Updated: Went very very well everything works, make sure all updates to 8.1 are loaded and all drivers updated, and if you use OrbX the TODO file is removed

Can you elaborate ? What's the TODO file?

Thanks

Jordi Vidal