Sign in to follow this  
morpheous

PMDG recommendation

Hello

If you were to recommended one PMDG product which one would it be? I'm looking to get my first airliner and am unsure which one to get.

Regards,

Jim

Jim Vasto

If you were to recommended one PMDG product which one would it be? I'm looking to get my first airliner and am unsure which one to get.

If you're looking to stretch legs and connect points on the globe, then I'd say the 777 is for you. It's highly automated, pretty simple to operate, and has some neat features that would be good to help you get used to complex airliner simulations. Compared to the NGX, it doesn't require as much attention, though its automation does have some quirks, so if you do get this, read the intro manual for sure.

If you're looking for shorter flights and a higher workload, then the 737NGX is more what you're looking for. It's not as simple to operate as the 777, as there are more manual tasks, but this, for me, is part of its charm. It requires you to be there, in the moment, to be an active participant in the flight on a higher level. It is widely used throughout the world, too, so if you're looking for real world flights to simulate, then you won't find it too hard to find routes.

If you're looking for regional routes (and are using FSX - not the Steam Edition), then you may be interested in the J41. It's showing its age a little bit, but it was the technology demonstrator for the NGX, so it's not too far behind it. Its shorter route structure lends well to many shorter hops in and out of a hub. Additionally, it can get you into some of the more charming, smaller airports around the world. Those can have some very interesting and unique scenery to enjoy, too.

Kyle Rodgers

It's really a matter of your personal preference, interest, and experience.  Any of them can be learned, if you are patient and willing to put in the work.  If you are wanting a somewhat less automated aircraft, and prefer flying into smaller airports, then the 737 is your best bet,  On the other hand, the 777 is has more automated systems and provides a more "digital" experience.  Though the 777 is larger and more complex, in some ways it may be actually easier to learn because of the newer technology.    For what its worth, the 777 is the newer product, and as such is a slightly more refined simulation overall.  Both aircraft have sophisticated FMS, autopilot, and autothrottle systems with VNAV and LNAV.  Its just that on the 737, the these systems are less integrated with each other.  For example, on the 777 the radios will tune automatically when you select an instrument approach on the FMS, while on the 737 the must be tuned manually, even after the approach has been selected in the computer.  Both planes are great fun to fly manually, so don't feel that just because one is more automated, that you cannot hand-fly it;  that is simply untrue.  Learning either aircraft will help you in learning the other later, and both will teach you an enormous amount about modern civil aviation, so don't sweat the decision too much.  Instead think more about which aircraft is more appealing to you personally; in the end, you will have more fun learning an airplane that you have a passion for.  By that token, keep in mind that the 747-400 and 747-8 are within a few months of release, and so if the jumbo is more to your taste, then you may want to hold out for that.  In the mean time, keep reading this forum, keep asking questions.  Good luck with your decision.

Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones

What they said!

My concept is that the most fun in "Sim" flying is the up and down. The 777 is great on longer flights, while the 737NGX is the short hauler extrordinaire. If you are joining a Virtual Airline (which I recommend) then you will find an abundance of shorter flights for the 737. If you can learn the 737 NGX you will have a head-start on flying the 777. Whatever PMDG aircraft you choose will be a positive experience. They are the Cadillac/Mercedes of sim flying. I have both.

Yep, NGX and 777. To hell with it, get both!!!!!!!!1 :)

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

If you have less-than-optimal hardware the 777 is a little more frame-rate friendly than the 737 NGX.  

As others have mentioned the 777 is more automated than its little brother, but it's no less fun to fly in my opinion.  PMDG did an excellent job of capturing the 777's 'bigness' and raw power and the intelligent time acceleration feature makes it possible to do a long-haul flight in a short-run timeframe.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

Richard P. Kelly

Get the 737 and 777.

Absolutely worth it and super fun to fly.

Pawel

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Thanks for the comments guys, I think I'll get the 737 to start as I like shorter flights.

Best Regards,

Jim

Jim Vasto

Thanks for the comments guys, I think I'll get the 737 to start as I like shorter flights.

Best Regards,

Jim

You wont regret it. Of all the add ons I have it is still my favorite.

Richie Walsh