Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

New dovetails Flight simulator due in 2016 on both Xbox One and Windows 10

*sigh* here we go again.

Flight actually had a lot under the hood that was really promising, and a great flight engine. Yes it was released a bit piecemeal but it had amazing potential. Just because it also catered for beginners doesn't invalidate what it could have become. How about waiting and seeing what else DT have to say...?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

This is meant in the least offensive way possible, but it's only more realistic in people's minds. It's a bit of plastic with springs/elastics. It's not more realistic in any physical way except for being in the shape of a yoke. If you have ever, and I mean ever, held the controls of an actual aircraft in flight (large or small) you will know that no yoke from Saitek or CH is close to realistic. Again, not meant to offend anyone. It's just my opinion (as sim and actual pilot).

Anyway, it should be interesting and it's still a long way away. They might make it more like MS Flight with GA aircraft focus. They could implement Kinect stuff to manipulate certain controls. And on the PC I'm pretty sure you'll be able to hook up whatever you want :P.

I see where you're coming from, but I can tell you that a my Saitek stick is more realistic than a Xbox controller. I have 40 hours in a C172R as well and will be licensed next month. Anyway no offense taken and I'm all open for different opinions. If there wasn't any variety then life would be boring! And it's good that you seem satisfied. My personal preference is less-gamey though so I see XP as doing well in the future for the more serious people. 

Once it gets too old? It's already old!

Hahaha, yeah that's true, but many are still using it. So I guess I mean when a lot of people stop using it. I realize P3D is popular but I think FSX still has a larger user-base. Could be wrong though. 

Ara Mahs, Private Pilot

It has been possible to hook up steering wheels and other types of controllers to Xboxes for quite some time now, so not sure why this is a concern. Modern consoles are far closer to a PC than the Nintendo and Sega machines of the past.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/categories/racing-wheels

The big question should be around what the sim covers and what add-ons/DLC will be available.

They keep confusing the issue though, they say it's based on MS Flight technology, which everyone assumes is MS Flight, but the very next words they state "that aviation buffs have held in high regard for over a decade." Which obviously was long before MS Flight, so I have to question again, do they really mean FSX code? Which would be from that time line.

Due for release in 2016, Flight Simulator which is built using the foundations from Microsoft’s famous Flight technology that aviation buffs have held in high regard for over a decade.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Wow...Lots of bubbles just went KA-POWWW!! For those who were holding out hope...Sorry...It's not fun for anyone to hear this sort of news.

:good:

Rich Sennett

Gotta love Avsim. Always looking at the downside instead of the upside in the infinite cycle of holding on to 9 year old technologies.

Here are some upsides for you:

• Peripherals - After racing sims, "which by the way an F1 car has more switches than most GA aircraft" made their way to consoles, peripheral and controller manufacturers quickly aligned their business to offer a plethora of new products. We saw realistic force feedback controllers, amazing build quality, affordable home cockpits, etc quickly take hold. With USB connectors being standard, did you ever think this could be a great think for the underwhelming products we have on PC?
  • Windows 10 cross compatibility - Phil Spencer (Head of Xbox) has made it clear that they want to integrate Windows 10 and Xbox Gaming as much as possible, one could potentially be running their Flight Sim from their PC in another room and have a cockpit setup somewhere else in their house while still having access to their PC features
  • The Flight Sim is not a "first to Xbox" product - The real press release here: http://www.dovetailgames.com/news/2015/aug/4/dovetail-games-looks-to-the-future-collaborating-with-microsoft does not state that the flight sim is going to be a ID@Xbox product that will be self published. A console port is usually where pain points are seen and DTG clearly chose not to go that path. This means it will be optimized for modern PC architecture first as opposed to the other way around and clearly DTG knows that the bulk of their long term customers for this platform will be on the PC. Just like Rockstar saw with GTA V, but they did their release backwards trying to accommodate last gen consoles. 
  • Console computing power and architecture - Lest we forget that consoles are now x86 architecture and probably have more computing power than most of your PC's. That similar architecture to a PC and power will ensure that, once again, an underwhelming port over isnt likely to be an issue. An Xbox is a PC, infact a powerful one, just with less buttons. 
  • Mouse and Keyboard support is planned for the Xbox - Phil Spencer also stated that mouse and keyboard support is planned for Xbox users. This will again close the gap as the Xbox is looking to be an extension of ones Windows 10 PC experience. 
  • Microsoft Flight was a great platform with a poor vision - I think most would agree that MS Flight (which is rumored to be the basis for the new sim) was actually pretty incredible, the problem was that the model that MS chose to pursue was horrible and ultimately led to its demise. Now I don't work for DTG or MS, but I am a competent business man and I know that anyone worth their weight in the board room would be careful to cross modern gamers with the advent of social media and the internet. The chances of them not learning from that mistake are minuscule especially considering that the publisher "payware" model of modern gaming was still in its infancy when MS Flight launched. We already pay for addons but dev's now realize that the platform and core must come first. 
  • DTG has been active in the community and asking for feedback - Most of you have already seen that DTG has gone out of their way to create discussions, write articles, host livestreams, and open their social media to ask for the communities feedback on their next gen sim. They started this months ago and the discussions continue. We also know that they are very active with 3rd party developers whether they sell through Steam or not. If DTG didnt have the simmer in mind, they would go their own way and drop what they wanted on the market without all the hooplah of entertaining feedback. We also know that 3rd parties are involved in these discussions as well as their futures depend on it. Lockheed Martin on the other hand doesnt even respond to 5% of the posts in their forums and they surely havent sold as many as FSX Steam. So what would be the point of spending time and money of all those resources if they didnt sincerely want to have the voice of the customer as part of their development process? Conspiracy? I think not. 
  • Its coming in 2016! - Come on, really? You are going to start drawing conclusions about something we havent even seen a screen shot of yet? Some industry insiders such as John V from ORBX have said that they are happy with DTG's vision after visiting their studios. He knows more than any of us and if there was something that they thought would hurt their sustainability of their business or be bad for the community, we know his outspoken self would have exposed it. 

So in conclusion, folks dont jump the gun here. It is a VERY preliminary and abstracted article from that website that doesnt tell us anymore than we already know. Just wait and see before you start losing your mind over something you know nothing about. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

not enough key ?

CLkkWqkWUAEC1Yz.png

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

I predicted this when dovetail came along. I even remember someone saying I was bitter about another company taking on the ashes of Aces and giving it life again, I said exactly that this would happen and here we are. 

Outerra if it ever develops like I think it will /Xplane and LM P3D are the future of flight simulation. Dovetail has and always will be an Arcade franchise. 

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

Why is everyone getting up in arms . The game itself is no more than a platform from which developers implement their "sims" .  All that matters is what independant devs put out for that platform. You can't really tell me that all of you are still flying default 737, and so now dovetail is going to downgrade your experience with this new version compared to that.

Take a step back and look at vanilla FSX  and tell me you are all still flying defaults and tell me how great it is?

Why is everyone getting up in arms . The game itself is no more than a platform from which developers implement their "sims" .  All that matters is what independant devs put out for that platform. You can't really tell me that all of you are still flying default 737, and so now dovetail is going to downgrade your experience with this new version compared to that.

Take a step back and look at vanilla FSX  and tell me you are all still flying defaults and tell me how great it is?

Very true actually. I just hope it's not too "arcade-y"

Ara Mahs, Private Pilot

Sounds like some of you have never played FSX or P3D with an Xbox controller... It's actually pretty darn satisfying since it's easy and accessible, having that little joystick under your left thumb for elevator/aileron. The right thumbstick for leisurely looking around and the two triggers for rudder... No need to purchase any extra hardware if you don't want it. They might even throw in Kinect later on for headtracking.

And it might bring a bit of new interest to flight games/sims from hardware manufacturers, since it's a new audience (and a pretty decent sized audience at that).

I'd say, don't knock it until you've seen it in action. It might actually be interesting if they take it seriously :P.

Come on, man....Have you ever tried to fly in a home cockpit? Xbox and and ps3 are ok for arcade games but if you really want to enjoy some sort of real simming how can you have fun using an xbox control?

It would be the same bust as ms flight was.

Dovetail's version is simply going to be a Reboot of Flight with the introduction of a couple new areas, planes, and other DLC, as well as some enhancements to the Flight engine. The business model for Dovetail will be the same as MS Flight based on DLC and micro-transactions. 

Microsoft  invested a fair amount of time, resources, and capital in MS Flight, however, the return was not sizable enough for MS to continue. It makes sense for Microsoft to shift the continued development to a company that will find it economically worthwhile based on their size and core competencies. Dovetail is that company and they will get a return on their investment to continue to develop the app. Microsoft will get a percentage of that revenue, which will provide a return for their initial development and intellectual property.

Hopefully it will be a good game that will have the potential to satisfy some needs of the sim community, but I do not think it will be the robust simulator that so many of us want. 

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

No need to fret!

This certainly won't be the only other project Dovetail develops with the licensed flight tech. This is just one one of several Premium DLC money-trees they will plant across several platforms.

:mellow:

Not exactly as easy as that! For that to be the case the sim/game has to be designed with an open architecture with a provided SDK. FSX, P3D and XP all are. MS Flight not as much. It didn't use Simconnect, and no SDK was provided. So if DTG is using the MS Flight engine, unless they add back simconnect or some other API along with a SDK, it may not be as easy for developers to build onto.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

IMHO a Game-Controller should be able to meet the needs of a beginner flying with old-school stick and rudder, single engine, look out the front windshield to see where you are going VFR (visual flight rules), and combat flight sims.

Yes, you are right, a game-controller is not meant for flying an airliner. When they graduate to; navigation to VOR's, navigation by GPS, auto-pilot to heading and altitude, and multi-engine, and propeller pitch adjustments, (and don't forget to prime the engine and adjust the mixture, things that are not even allowed in modern passenger cars). Yeah, when they graduate, then they will need to buy into a more serious system.

Sorry, I had an opinion that just had to get out :)

JD