Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

New dovetails Flight simulator due in 2016 on both Xbox One and Windows 10

What's the difference between a sim and a game?

What's the difference between a simmer and a gamer?

What's the difference between a PC and a console?

1. The amount of documentation and the need for a storyline and/or "gameplay"

2. The simmer reads the documentation

3. A console just works (at least that was the case in the old days when console gaming was a proprietary hardware gig).

1. Sandbox 'games' such as GTA-5 have no need for 'gameplay outside of the storyline; instead 'players' are free to walk, drive or fly around in that virtual world in the same way as players in FSX or X-Plane do when they choose not to do flight challenges (missions)..

GTA-5 also comes with comprehensive manuals and maps.

2. The 'gamer' will possibly read the documentatior in the same way as the FSX 'simmer/gamer' might possibly do  ;-)

3. A console just works..mostly.

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Would you expect her to say "neven ever within my time of life" and give a written gurantee?

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I'm reading through the suggestions thread on Steam and I see that most of the suggestions seem to be from casual users. I wish DTG made their suggestion thread here on AVSIM instead. In fact, if they wanted to cater towards the non-casual users, they would have done that.

Just to clear things up a little, we do not have plans to bring DFS to XBox.at this time".

In my opinion, that means "we have no plans to release DFS on the XBox One console, but that may change in the future". That is not the same as stating that they definitely will release it on the XBox One console at some point in the future.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

----------------

"Hi guys,

Just to clear things up a little, we do not have plans to bring DFS to XBox.at this time".

-DTG_Aimee

----------------

AND...

You possibly overlooked the most important part of that reply!

Additionally, "Flight technology" is in reference to MS flight simulation technology, and isn't specific to any one title.

In short, it may or may not share any of the DNA from "MS Flight" at all!

I'm reading through the suggestions thread on Steam and I see that most of the suggestions seem to be from casual users. I wish DTG made their suggestion thread here on AVSIM instead. In fact, if they wanted to cater towards the non-casual users, they would have done that.

Actually, Aimee did precisely that right here at AVSIM! :lol:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi guys,

Just to clear things up a little, we do not have plans to bring DFS to XBox at this time.

Additionally, "Flight technology" is in reference to MS flight simulation technology, and isn't specific to any one title.

If you have any further questions, please forward them to our Steam forum where our community team will be happy to help: http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160

Apologies for any confusion,

-Aimee

Well there you go guys. Once again, we know nothing, but let the "certain" speculation continue on! Its the Avsim way! 

i would also encourage all of you to provide your 2 cents in the new topic they created on the Steam forums: http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/1/541907867774095630/

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

If I am allowed to go on with speculation, this might imply Dovetail being allowed to include world wide scenery data from FSX. Aside the question, if this would be a blessing or curse, a lot of people in the Steam thread were afraid it would just be Hawaii or similar like in Flight!

Kind regards, Michael

I thought MS Flight, FSX, ESP were all from the same code base? ... and nothing wrong with that at all, it's a very complex product well beyond limitations of say a GTA V or any other 3D shooter.  I would be really really surprised if MS Flight was a re-write from scratch.

Has DG announced any plans for an SDK for their new PC Flight product?  (apologies if I missed it)

Cheers, Rob.

Definitely not, Rob. And that's a major concern indeed.

Kind regards, Michael

Major concern? :rolleyes: How can there be a major concern re the announcement or non announcement of an SDK when Dovetail have ONLY old us the proposed name of their sim & that it will be using MS's flight, with a SMALL 'F's technology? Remember, this could be any of Microsoft's flight gaming technology, even including that of their Combat sims?

Remember, as well, as to what Dovetail Gaming's target market is.. :t0152:

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

In my opinion, that means "we have no plans to release DFS on the XBox One console, but that may change in the future".

In my opinion, that means:-

We DO have plans to release DFS on XBox once the PC version (and sales revenue) is well established, as per our Train Simulator and Fishing Simulator games.  We are after all a games' company aiming to serve both the console and the PC/Steam market.

You possibly overlooked the most important part of that reply!

Nah! That side of things isn't important to me. My aim is to see any half-decent MS flight-sim/game released on console within the next couple of years or so, so that I can finally kick back with a beer, pick up a controller and fly around on an XBox without having to jump through hoops with PC installs and such, which I've done for too many years  -decades even. 

Call me lazy ..... ;-)

---

FlightsimGuy wrote.....

"Well there you go guys. Once again, we know nothing, but let the "certain" speculation continue on! Its the Avsim way!"

--------------------------

Thanks FSG for the permission to continue with the debate and speculation. ;-) Sounds like you had a good weekend! ;-) 

What's the difference between a sim and a game?

What's the difference between a simmer and a gamer?

What's the difference between a PC and a console?

1. Sandbox 'games' such as GTA-5 have no need for 'gameplay outside of the storyline; instead 'players' are free to walk, drive or fly around in that virtual world in the same way as players in FSX or X-Plane do when they choose not to do flight challenges (missions)..

GTA-5 also comes with comprehensive manuals and maps.

2. The 'gamer' will possibly read the documentatior in the same way as the FSX 'simmer/gamer' might possibly do  ;-)

3. A console just works..mostly.

1. Wonder how that would work out, if GTA was only the sandbox. Like, you can walk, drive and fly around in this tiny world - and nothing else. Nothing cares if you are there or not, nothing really interacts with your avatar. As for documentation: you are aware, that (as a rather extreme example), with the PMDG 737 you get the full fledged Boeing FCOM with roundabout 1000 pages in total? I don't think a games manual will ever remotly compare to the fact that you can/have to use real world docs on objects in a simulator.

2. If you have a lot of time, it takes a couple of weeks to master the 737 NGX, months if you don't. Again, wonder how that would work out for the popularity of GTA if you had to read every car's manual before you can drive it, let alone every planes operation manual before you can fire it up.

That for me distinguishes my own "simmer-self" from the "gamer" - and I am both actually, and still make this distinction. In simming mode, I want to do it the right way, like in real life, even the boring things - as a simmer I am a perfectionist. And I can be too, as the sim offers this possibility. I don't care too much if it costs a lot of money, time and effort, because this is really important to me. Gaming for me is like watching a movie - mostly without thinking too much, only having fun, doing things that may not even be possible in RW or have nothing to do with RW at all. And as this is a modern, money-driven world, both genres try to cater to both user factions - sims suddenly have "missons", and some games have "free modes". As a simmer, I use the virtual world as a tool to fulfil my dream that I cannot pursue in real life. I have been dreaming of flying for real for all of my 50 years, but it just won't happen any time soon (or ever, so at least maybe build my home cockpit). Games fulfil the unrealistic "dreams" (needs?) - and hopefully everyone using them is capable of realizing that.

LORBY-SI