Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

New dovetails Flight simulator due in 2016 on both Xbox One and Windows 10

Those are exactly the reactions I expected.  <_< Why not wait and see what Dovetail's new simulator is going to be like before criticising it? They did say that they thought Microsoft Flight was too dumbed-down, isn't that a little reassuring?

But surely we have all the  favourite villains togther in one thread: Microsoft/Window 10/Xbox/Dovetail Games, etc. Of course people will whine!

Could be an interesting future for flight simmers. I am very happy with FSX SE after trying and deleting PD3 2.5 and will be interested in seeing what DT has in store next. 

FSX is still the leading vehicle for flight simmers and with DT's help it should continue to be. PD3 is a commercial professional venture not interested in the hobbyist flight simmer where as DT is interested in the average flight simmer hobbyist and that is where I will put my money and faith in FSX future. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

If they pick where FLIGHT was left, and make something better out of it, it can only be, at least, promising !  I'd say probably GOOD!  I still love MS FLIGHT...

Each one follows it's own track. I migrated from FSX into MS FLIGHT, then [ saving you from a long story...], then FSX:SE which really performed great, but now I am for good in P3Dv2, which has proved to be, so far, the best of the platforms for me, all taken into account.

But should some "new" version, of MS FLIGHT, which had a whole lot of potential, become available, I will for sure give it a try :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I'm for one very happy to finally move away from FSX. After many years of investing money into FSX, new video cards, new processors, new RAM...etc..etc ...etc, overclocking, tweaking... in order to just get additional 3 FPS or for it not to stutter on approach I'm sure that whatever DTG will offer will be better (At least I hope). I'm very tiered of spending a ton of money (PMDG T7, NGX, Fly Tampa  scenery, ASN) and be sitting on the ground with my T7 in KMDW and hope for: A) Please let there be no OOM and B) Please let me takeoff with at least 15-20 FPS and without stutters. I personally see no enjoyment in that.

For people that are screaming "Well thank God for P3D", after spending between 60USD and 200USD for every version and get an OOM after 15 min of flight and not being able to share a cockpit without crashing (Im talking about Aerosoft Airbus) they LM had access to the code for some time now, that's not acceptable either.

So I for one hope that my frustrations with FSX will end soon and will bring the whole flight simulator community a quality product that we all have been waiting for.

For sure, I don't think that it will be worst than it already is.

Many Thanks.

• The blogger says "Microsoft Flight technology" but then immediately says something about simmers have enjoyed "over a decade", so that should be a big clue that the blogger doesn't really know what he is talking about.

• Also, why would a business pay a large sum of money to adopt a failed business model that the world's largest software company could not make work?

• And if this was just Microsoft Flight, why would it take two years to produce when the former is already packaged and ready to go for distribution?

• Why would they produce a Microsoft Flight when they already own the rights to redistribute a better, more complete simulator called FSX? FSX is regularly discounted by them (80%) in frequent sales, and FSX would cannibalize the sales of a Microsoft Flight product.

So from a business standpoint, if this is a Microsoft Flight reboot, it makes no sense to even release it on PC. There are potential sales on the Xbox One, but little to none for PC.

I think this press release is good news. It clearly states what to expect: "a deeply immersive flight game" (literally from the press release). Now those looking for a flight game can look forward to DFS and those wanting a simulator with a perspective can switch to Prepar3d.

And those still happy with FSX can stay with it, too. Isn't it a wonderful world?

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

• Also, why would a business pay a large sum of money to adopt a failed business model that the world's largest software company could not make work?
Flight's business model didn't fail, the decision to discontinue it was made in a broader context.

• And if this was just Microsoft Flight, why would it take two years to produce when the former is already packaged and ready to go for distribution?
  • Why would they produce a Microsoft Flight when they already own the rights to redistribute a better, more complete simulator called FSX? FSX is regularly discounted by them (80%) in frequent sales, and FSX would cannibalize the sales of a Microsoft Flight product.

Well, they are obviously bringing more features and content to Flight. And you can't seriously believe that anyone would want to port the ancient FSX code to the Xbox One...

"With regards to this topic...thank god for LM".

------------------------------

A single sentence with more sense in it than the entire thread put together. In short, if you don't like the thought of a flight simulator that is also being released on console, then buy yourself a copy of P3D. Simple.

So in other words, if you don't like the thought of Dovetail's MSFS on console, then buy yourself a copy  of Lockheed Martin's MSFS.   Or alternatively buy Steam's MSFS.

FSX Classic, FSX on steam, FSX-P3D ... and coming soon.. MSFS by Dovetail on console.  The world's your lobster!

:P

Question:

Will I be able to install Active Sky Next, PMDG Addons or third party addons to my xbox console to enhance Flight Sim experience ?

I don't think so ....

I am afraid P3D will be our last hope for MS based flight sim, otherwise XP really has to pick up. I know there are already a lot of support. But honestly I find all information scattered all over the place that it becomes overwhelming and confuses the hell out of me where to start ..................

Bilal Asif Khan

Well, they are obviously bringing more features and content to Flight. And you can't seriously believe that anyone would want to port the ancient FSX code to the Xbox One...

Would it be that impractical to port FSX, though?

FSX uses DirectX calls that Xbox One supports.

FSX already runs on the newest Windows, which is basically the underlying OS of the Xbox One.

FSX runs on the x86 CPU architecture, which is what the Xbox One CPU uses.

I know these are rather broad points, but my programming knowledge is limited to just scientific applications on HPCs, which are rather simple compared to a full-fledged graphical simulation.

FSX Classic, FSX on steam, FSX-P3D ... and coming soon.. MSFS by Dovetail on console.  The world's your lobster!

:P

I tend to disagree here. LM has been working on P3D since 2010. I can't judge the fraction of original ESP code left in Prepar3d2.5, but LM have reworked the complete graphics engine including elimination of ancient assembly code and transfer to DX11.

This said, P3D certainly inherited a number of design flaws like the hard coded airport and navaid data, the limited landclass system, 32 bit base, and more. However, from what I keep reading here and there we can expect further development within the not so far future.

Personally, I don't see a better choice than Prepar3d if you want a state of the art Flight Simulator - contrary to a flight game - for the next three years.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Yes, if you want to spend the other three years rebooting your P3D because of OOM errors.

Kidding :)

I think people have forgotten how basic the default aircraft in FSX are. Those planes could easily be flown with a controller. We need an engine,with decent graphics,an open SDK,64bit. Then the addon devs can get to work and make it more complex.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I mentioned 32 bit base, didn't I? LM knows the imitation and will cure it, if you ask me before release of the Dovetail game. Please, remind me of my words in the next year. :wink:

Kind regards, Michael

SURPRISE!, games company famous for games, develops a game based around flying, and probably fully integrated with the fishing game.

I have very much enjoyed reading all the comments regarding GTA V, wow it would just be the perfect flight if...  Errm no it wouldn't, GTA V is a 60Gb install, covering an area around the size of San Francisco, now scale that up to the state of california let alone the size of the world, any hard drives big enough for that?

Somebody earlier on said that the Xbone and PS4 were basically good PC's, no, there not.  They are very mediocre machines, shown by their complete inability to run smoothly at 60fps not to mention the resolution topping out at 1080p and some games running only at 720p.

So what about support for bigger and better addons, 64-bit support, kind of pointless on consoles, the PS4 only allows applications to access around 4.5Gb of RAM, the Xbone does slightly better at 5Gb.

Largely i imagine that people using consoles will not be willing to sit for 3 hours to fly a feature complete aircraft (costing around 33% of the console) from Manchester to Split (also costing around 33% of the total price of the console).  So i would expect Flight, but with more DLC and less features, probably PilotWings, with better flightdeck views.

LM is doing good things with P3D, but the nudge-nudge-wink-wink licensing system and the stance some developers have taken (Aerosoft and ORBX aside), means i always feel on the cusp of losing my sim, or nervous that developers will either withdraw support or charge exorbitant prices. 

I really want to like X-Plane, i have installed it again and decided that the PMDG DC6 will be my first payware aircraft for it, but it's so unfriendly, it's like using a CAD program from the early 90s; not to mention the many missing features, present for a long time in MS sims.

DCS is the best of the bunch, but confined to a small area with a laser like focus on being a military sandbox.

Ian R Tyldesley