Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

New dovetails Flight simulator due in 2016 on both Xbox One and Windows 10

And the speculative madness with no basis continues. Bunch of armchair developers in here and nothing else. 

+1

Jean-Jacques Struyf

between EBBR and EBCI

Going for immersive GA simulator for VFR is better option long term works across all platform is smart move by dovetail and Microsoft.  First, Xbox and steam machine can run it means in the long term they are focusing on broadening out the product and not making narrow niche market like X-plane and P3D. The dovetail fight target market is younger users and existing VFR flyers want better visuals and immersion. 

Speculation is great, as are arm-chair developers.

So, Microsoft have always said that Windows 10 will be cross platform for all devices, PC's, X-Box et al. No surprise then with Dovetail's announcement that their 'new' game will run on PC's & X-Box's. (maybe Windows phones as well? or the game to be controlled by a Windows phone?)

Then, I speculate, the the game, as well as Dovetail Games Fishing and the new Train Simulator will be available via the Windows App store, or whatever they call it.

Nowhere in that press/info release does Dovetail say that the new sims/games will be released on Steam!

So, more speculation on what that it will mean to us?

Gizmosellsbunnys rightly says that "The dovetail fight target market is younger users and existing VFR flyers want better visuals and immersion"

My speculation, as a hobbyist & enthusiast, is that this is great business scense for Dovetail, as there is a huge untapped gamer/younger user base out there, & going this route will introduce this type of gaming/simming to a whole new audience.

So, what does all this mean to us? ...

Apart from speculation, nothing new really.

There will be this new release in 2016(?) targeted to the above mentioned audience,

FSX:SE from Steam & obviously the ongoing P3D!

Mmmm, & the Holy Grail for us olde timers or hard core simmers is ...?

For goodness sake, PLEASE do not bring up X-Plane or GTA V into this speculative debate.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

How can one make an educated guess when they have no basis for that hypothesis?

Ah but we do have a basis for forming a limited hypothesis, we can go from the previous work by Dovetail and the comments they have made / leaked.

Ian R Tyldesley

The only comments that they have made was the sim will be out in 2016 and it will have the MF engine. Nothing else.... And now the press release.

Everything else is your imagination :)

Personally, I don't see a better choice than Prepar3d if you want a state of the art Flight Simulator - contrary to a flight game - for the next three years.

I'd hardly call it state of the art. P3D still looks like old-gen FSX to me..but with a lick of paint.   Same old spot views, and.lack of crash damage modelling on aircraft and environmental objects.

And the speculative madness with no basis continues. Bunch of armchair developers in here and nothing else. 

That's rather a harsh and derogatory blanket statement to fire at your fellow AVSIM members. 

Are you okay?

How can one make an educated guess when they have no basis for that hypothesis? Because both Sims share the name flight even though it is a new developer? Or maybe to your point it will be a console port, even though we have never seen a non arcade flight simulator on a console? There is no basis to any of the assumptions that are being made so just like anyone who would start a statement with "blah blah blah", I don't hold anyone who would draw a conclusion out of thin air as educated on the matter.

You should go back to page 2 and read my reply there to see what a imperical hypothesis looks like based on facts.

Again, who cares?

And your "empirical hypothesis" is mostly pie in the sky hope springing eternal. The same stuff we heard before Flight's original release. 

I'm going on record speculating that the console and PC version will be shared. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. And I base that on many factors, including ease of development, the ability to share content and DLC, and the fact that it's the way most other developers treat cross-platform projects. 

I'd hardly call it state of the art. P3D still looks like old-gen FSX to me..but with a lick of paint. Same old spot views, and.lack of crash damage modelling on aircraft and environmental objects.

While I agree on your assessment of P3D (At least currently, and for the record, that's not a bad thing!!). You will never see crash damage modeling in a serious sim, and still use real world aircraft manufacturers and airline names. One it's not necessary, and two Boeing or Airbus don't want representations of their products, blowing up after crashing into a building, If you want to see that, you'll have to be content with GTA5. That's just the way it is and always has been in this genre.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

No, because they are actually developers. Not just folks who play a developer in forums.

LOL at this one!!

You will never see crash damage modelling in a serious sim, and still use real world aircraft manufacturers and airline names.....

I don't really consider FSX or its derivatives a 'serious' sim though since there are too many unrealistic elements, plus scenarios designed for entertainment and fun..  But anyway, as you probably know,, MSFS used to do damage modelling years ago where wings would fly off, etc. But post 9/11 this obviously became a sensitive issue  and risked bad publicity for Microsoft etc. But of course such basic damage modelling can still be achieved with addons or specially customised planes.

But I still think that bird strikes, and visible gear damage, would be useful to have in P3D etc., as well as trees, fences and lampposts breaking offf if sliced by a wing instead of simply passing through them untouched.

MSFS wing clip test (modded)

https://youtu.be/K8KRUerQmKY?t=1m18s

GTA-5 crash tests (vanilla)

https://youtu.be/0AcVvDAzsH4?t=18s

Personally I think the next flight sim will be this one. Its called Aerofly 2. This is just the mobile version on my Galaxy S5 but if they can get this kinda detail on a phone then I can't imagine how amazing the PC development is going to be and yes they are working on a PC version.  The mobile version comes with,night lighting,working gauges in the VC, nav aids, all of southern California in photo textures and much more. The PC version is supposed to cover the entire planet and be much better looking! Enjoy a few screens that I took on my phone while flying this morning

Screenshot_2015_08_06_11_00_31.png

Screenshot_2015_08_06_11_00_08.png

Screenshot_2015_08_06_11_22_52.png

Screenshot_2015_08_06_11_23_49.png

Screenshot_2015_08_06_11_24_57.png

Screenshot_2015_08_06_11_26_30.png

Screenshot_2015_08_06_11_27_48.png

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Im actually looking at them now, but I can find any information about them making a PC model. Do you have any links?

Many thanks

Do you have any links?

Here is the best link... http://www.ipacs.de/forum/showthread.php/6110-aerofly-FS-Development-Status%C2'>

Lots of promise but I havent seen anything move forward for the last 3 years. I asked the Dev about the status earlier this year and this is the response I got.

"We internally also call the version of Aerofly 2 for Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows our desktop version.

Our current plans are that we will release Aerofly 2 around the end of 2015. Most of the difficult features are already finished, so the stuff that always makes it hard to set a final release date are basically done.

As it is with the mobile version of Aerofly 2, our flight simulator is no longer limited to a small region, but you can, in theory, fly around the whole earth. However upon the initial release we will only have a small region with airports, but this will increase as we try to implement automatic airport generation and also allow user added content. Adding your own airports, regions or aircraft is now a lot easier and we have plans to add tutorial, once we have Aerofly 2 in the market.

If you want to get a 'rough' idea on have a look at the mobile version of Aerofly 2 for iOS. However the desktop version will look much better and you will also have trees, clouds and other graphical goodies.

You will also see a vastly improved navigation feature with fully working instruments. Depending on how our progress is, you will see some of this stuff in the mobile version before the desktop release."

attachment.php?attachmentid=2328&d=13557

attachment.php?attachmentid=2329&d=13557

attachment.php?attachmentid=2330&d=13557

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson