Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Is this a realistic simulation of the Piper Archer III

Indeed. Not only trim, but elevator calibration as well. Sometimes those yokes need re-calibrating

I use a Saitek Cessna Trim wheel and a TM Hotas Warthog controller. I have checked the calibration in FSUIPC and if my controller calibration was incorrect shouldn't I see the same thing in other planes ?

I use a Saitek Cessna Trim wheel and a TM Hotas Warthog controller. I have checked the calibration in FSUIPC and if my controller calibration was incorrect shouldn't I see the same thing in other planes ?

Yes, you should. But you said you have similar experience with other Archers too, hence Portia911 and my ideas. That is where i would start investigating at least. Maybe even physically disconnect the trim wheel for test purposes. Of course, presuming you rotate at the respective IAS and flaps.

I would take a step back, and recognize that no FSX simulation is going to "feel" like the real plane.

Fly the a2a plane if it feels good to you, and be prepared for the actual plane to "feel" different when

you sit in it.   In the real world, even two similar planes will feel different.. 

Bert

Besides flying is like riding a bicycle. Most adjustments you make are unconscious. So it doesn't really matter if it doesn't feel exactly the same, plus any airplane handles differently under different circumstances. Flying alone or having someone heavy next to you will make quite a difference.

I would take a step back, and recognize that no FSX simulation is going to "feel" like the real plane.

Fly the a2a plane if it feels good to you, and be prepared for the actual plane to "feel" different when

you sit in it.   In the real world, even two similar planes will feel different.. 

I fly both the A2A Cherokee and the Carenado Archer II. My feeling is that the Carenado is better than the JF and freeware Archers but best feels the A2A plane. I also tried out the Archer II in FSX-SE with my old CH flightsim yoke and then I got the impression that I didn't need to pull the yoke almost all the way back. But still more than the Cherokee.

But still the CH yoke exhibit stickiness and lack of precision that I have the Hotas controller

Make sure that you have the null zones set to zero, and the sensitivity set to max for the yoke!

Bert

I now have made a flight in a real Archer III from left seat. What I have noticed and learned is

The Just Flight Archer III is incorrect in regard of having to pull the yoke all the way back.

I was told the trim was neutral and to set one notch of flaps and around 50 kt I started to pull back the yoke to some degree but certainly not fully back. Also retracting and later extending flaps did not affect pitch to such a degree as in JF Archer III.

Another thing at cruise the power lever were set back to only about 33% of full. At that setting we were going at around 100 kt and the rpm was at around 2300 rpm. This is not possible in any of the three FSX Pipers.

But the JF Archer III cockpit does look like the real thing. Even the Carenado Archer II cockpit is significantly different from Archer III as is the Cherokee.

The most significant difference between the real thing and the virtual (all three) is the rudder pedals. My impression is that in the real thing they hardly move and feels stiffer compared to my CH Rudder pedals.

The yoke feels more stiff up in the air.

So I think I miss a good realistic virtual Piper Archer III

Find the [flaps] section of the aircraft.cfg (there may be more than one) and decrease the value in the pitch_scalar= line.

I have changed this on many planes as ,for me, most FS planes pitch up too much when you deploy flaps.

regards,

Joe

I could indeed remove the pitch up behavior by changing this value from 1.0 to 0.05. But the incorrect behavior of having to move the yoke fully back to take of remains.

I want to echo some of what Bert brought up about the Archer III compared to the likes of a Piper from A2A.  For starters, i downloaded the Archer III way back when as it was a free download from Just Flight.  It was not exactly the most accurate aircraft at the time, unless it has undergone a major overhaul I am not aware of, but in contrast, A2A creates "study aircraft" (as pointed out by other sim enthusiasts) and their level of accuracy is more spot on to the real thing compared to a lot of what Just Flight puts out, despite the aircraft coming from other devs.  I have a whole slew of JF aircraft sitting in my archives gathering dust (same goes for Carenado, and for the same reason) as they cool looking to take snapshots of but for level of accuracy and attention to flight dynamics, this is where they don't excel much.

If you want as close to real as possible, A2A is the way to go.  You won't have to nitpick or fight as much about how they operate in comparison to the likes of Just Flight's versions.  This is nto to say that JD puts out crappy aircraft all the time though.  It may be a case of hit or miss...just my two cents.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

If you want as close to real as possible, A2A is the way to go. You won't have to nitpick or fight as much about how they operate in comparison to the likes of Just Flight's versions.

I was thinking about the difference between a real Archer III and a real Cherokee. It's the Cherokee A2A simulates and the Archer III is the one I tried out in real life

I was thinking about the difference between a real Archer III and a real Cherokee. It's the Cherokee A2A simulates and the Archer III is the one I tried out in real life

The A2A will be close enough. I flew Warriors, Archer III,s and Hershey bar Arrows.

The A2A will be close enough. I flew Warriors, Archer III,s and Hershey bar Arrows.

Do you mean that the A2A Cherokee flies and behaves closely to a real Archer III ? Well with regard of the take off I agree that A2A Cherokee was more like a real Archer III than the Just Flight Archer III (don't need to pull the yoke fully aft).

But still the Cherokee cockpit looks quite different from the Archer III.

I recently took a training flight in a PA28 Warrior at Cambridge aerodrome, and the instrument panel looked very much like the A2A Cherokee panel.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Panel won't be the same in the A2A, as it's older. Airspeed is mph instead of knots. Trim handle on ceiling instead of trim wheel between seats. Important items such as performance, slight pitch down with flaps (as opposed to pitch up with a high wing Cessna) is there. Mixture knob travel for leaning at higher altitude airports is also realistic compared to some sim models.

I've yet to fly two aircraft with identical panels, even at flying clubs/schools! They're all built at different times for different customers who specified differing options, and then owned by several other people who made upgrades or replacements to the instrumentation and radios.

Some PA-28 will have a HSI but most just a gyro compass and OBS, some others have twin OBS. Although that doesn't really matter for VFR/PPL stuff, but the appearance and scales on various instruments such as the VSI and Turn Indicator will differ between aircraft of the same type too.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg