I am building a new PC within the next couple of months, and am having difficulty nailing down the right CPU to purchase. Does anyone on here run a GTX 970 with an i5 4690k? I'm thinking either that, or upgrade the 4690k for the 4790k, and sacrificing in other areas of the PC. My budget is approximately $1500, and I am pretty dead set on the 970. I will be running other games and stuff too. This is my current outlook on pc part picker. Tell me what y'all think. Is the performance gain with the i7 enough in FSX/P3D to spend the extra cash? Hell, should I wait for Skylake?http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/v7HkZL

I guess I should be more specific about my FSX habits. Right now, I run on a 4 year old Alienware m14x laptop, with an 15 2410m, a gtx 555m, and 6gb of 600MHz RAM. I have all of PMDG's Aircraft, Aerosoft A320 extended, CS 757, LVLD 767, and the Wilco E90, as well as FTX Global, FTX NA Blue, Australia, and New Zealand. I also have FSDT's CYVR, KLAX, and KJFK, along with some other scenery add ons. I run AS Next, and REX as well. On my Alienware, I get 15-20 FPS at cruise with every plane, but on the ground I often get 2-5 FPS, and even in climb/descent, I often run 10-12 FPS. So, I'm struggling. 12-15 FPS is smooth for me, but I really would like to run 15+ FPS pretty well everywhere with this new build, and my add ons. I am planning on upgrading to P3D as well, so that should help with the add ons. I understand the limitations on 32 bit applications and all, but my setup does look pretty damn good when the game is on pause :P

Ill tell you what most people here will, to hold tight for a week or two and grab one of the new Skylake processors.  Its not going to be a quantum leap, but should be a bit of an improvement over Haswell Refresh.  Or wait for a slew of 4790k and 4690k procs to come up on eBay very soon.  I'm selling mine shortly!  Back to your question tho, the 4790k is awesome with p3d and the 970gtx (I recommend EVGA for warranty/quality) is solid and a good choice.  I cant speak of the 4690k but ive never heard and complaints besides a bit slower scenery loading, in a rare forum post.   My rig is 4790k at 4.8 ghz, EVGA 970gtx SSC ACX2.0, 16 GB Gskill trident 2400 ram, Asus ROG maximusvii Hero.  It runs p3d fluid and smooth, stutter free.  Whatever proc you choose, dont skimp on the mobo, you will want to successfully overclock!

Go with the i7-4790K + GTX770 + 16GB RAM for P3D and other games which may also make us of the hyperthreading and more memory. If you were only using FSX then I'd say go with the i5-4690K + 8MB RAM. Re your planned build:

1) For overclocking get a better quality and more powerful PSU than a Corsair CX series (for my i7-4790 build I'm planning on a 750W Seasonic S12G). These PSU calculators might give you a rough guide: Coolermaster PSU calculator and eXtreme PSU calculator.

2) WD Caviar Black are slightly faster 7200 drives than the Caviar Blue series.

Q) Will you be putting the OS on the SSD?

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

@ One WhoKnocks53

My rig is 4790k at 4.8 ghz...

What CPU cooler are you using?

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

What CPU cooler are you using?

CoolerMaster Nepton 240. It's a good cooler but I had problems with the finish on the copper face of water block. Lapped it smooth down to 1000 grit and also lapped the CPU heat spreader. It runs 85f max during aida64 stress testing.

Q) Will you be putting the OS on the SSD?

Good point, ssd's are at a price point now that you can ditch the spinny drive for your os and sim. Get a good hard drive for storage tho. I can't emphasize the awesomeness of an ssd, your loading times will never be the same.