Sign in to follow this  
BrittoAviationLover

FSX Vs P3D, how good idea is it?

Hello Guys, 

Well this is the thing, I am currently using MS-FSX+Acceleration, it runs quite well with some tweaks here and there, however, as you may know there is no way to run FSX flawlessly, now I am thinking about buying P3D, so, how good is it vs FSX? I have seen several videos and it looks quite well, but I don't really know since I built a PC especifically for FSX and I am not getting the performace I expected, I have been able to resolve some issues I was having with the valuable help of the people at these forums, I don't want to buy P3D, pay the 200 bucks and then be disappointed with the performace I will get since I have heard it requeires a lot of resources, even more than MS-FSX.

My Specs:

Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7.

RAM: G. Skill RipJaws X 16Gb @ 1886 Mhz.

FSX Drive: 500Gb Samsung 580 Evo SSD.

Graphics Card: 4Gb MSI GTX 970.

Processor: Intel Core I7 4790K @ 4.4 Ghz

Any information you guys can provide me with will be very appreciated.

Thanks and regards.

Tbh man buy the $60 one and try it, if you don't like it you can get a refund.

Yes, I got my refund. But I want to try it again when the new version comes out.  I like the idea that  it is new and in development so I will always give it a try. 

You can also try it by using the 10 dollar a month system. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Ok, I think I will give a try with the $10 version and see if it feels better than the MS-FSX, now does it need any extra tweak or does it work just out of the box?

It is such a pity PMDG does not give any discounts for active PMDG Products users, that would be great, I guess I will have to buy the PMDG Planes I currently have, again if I like P3D.

Regards.

I am finished with FSX......I will never use it again.....when I finally get my buddy to buy P3D I will remove FSX from my system.

Your hardware will run P3D easily.

FaxCap

That depends, all systems are different and some guys have great luck with PD3 and it runs fine for them. For me it ran like a dog and FSXSE beat it  in speed and looks. 

Try it and see how it runs for you on your system as that is the only way you will really know. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I purchased FSX-SE with the last bargain they did, I got it for $12, I think it was about a month ago maybe, I installed it and I did not like it at all, so, I went back to MS-FSX, i don't know what happened, It just did not look good, I was not able to install  the products I use in MS-FSX like Orbx, MindStar GNS and some others.

I think my luck could change with P3D, maybe because there are not many differences between MS-FSX and FSX-SE, what do you guys think?

Regards.

Just try out P3D for $10 and see for yourself :smile: It should run very well on your hardware...

I purchased FSX-SE with the last bargain they did, I got it for $12, I think it was about a month ago maybe, I installed it and I did not like it at all, so, I went back to MS-FSX, i don't know what happened, It just did not look good, I was not able to install  the products I use in MS-FSX like Orbx, MindStar GNS and some others.

That was because you installed FSX:SE in a Side-by-Side configuration. Because of this, none of the FSX installers would work.

Had you completely uninstalled FSX first, then installed FSX:SE, those same installers would have worked.

In any case, these questions have been asked time and time again here in the P3D forum...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That was because you installed FSX:SE in a Side-by-Side configuration. Because of this, none of the FSX installers would work.

Had you completely uninstalled FSX first, then installed FSX:SE, those same installers would have worked.

In any case, these questions have been asked time and time again here in the P3D forum...

Yes sir, I did that, I even ran a tool provided by Flight1 Software named Registry Fixer or something like that, it changes something in the registry so that the installers can run, (I was getting an error from Orbx stating there was no simulator installed), after running that tool, the installer ran normally but it never showed up in the new FSX-SE (Scenery textures), but that is not really important right now, I am not using FSX-SE anymore, I am now setting P3D as my new target, I am going to try it and see if it works, I have been told that my machine should run it just fine, without any issues, but well, the same was told about FSX-SE and that is not what happened at all...

Now my question for you is, do I need to tweak P3D at all? or will it run smoothly right after installation?

Thank you very much for your interest.

Best regards.

Jorge, I run P3Dv2 with no tweaks whatever. As a developer, I need to test my products in a more typical "vanilla" state to ensure they will work well.

As for FSX:SE, you still mistake my point. Installed by itself on a system that has never had FSX (disk) installed, or has been properly uninstalled and sanitized, it becomes in effect plain FSX (disk) as far as most installers are concerned.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Jorge, you have a great system for running FSX, and if it does not run "flawlessly", I do not believe switching to P3D will fix it for you.. you will just have a different set of issues..

Try it by all means!

But personally, I can see no reason why FSX should not run perfectly on your system, unless you overload it with addons.. :huh:

Bert

Actually, with that hardware, I would fathom P3D will run with significantly less tweaking / issues than FSX.

Jorge, you have a great system for running FSX, and if it does not run "flawlessly", I do not believe switching to P3D will fix it for you.. you will just have a different set of issues..

Try it by all means!

But personally, I can see no reason why FSX should not run perfectly on your system, unless you overload it with addons..  :huh:

Hi Bert,

Great to see you here, well, I don't see any reason why I get the performace I am getting, the main problem would be the stuttering in FSX, I was getting some blurry textures before but that was fixed already, it looks very good now, but still the stuttering is present almost everywhere.

I don't even have the sliders set all the way to the right, right now I have almost everything in Ultra High (Which does not set everything to the right) except fot eh Aircraft (Almost all shadows are disabled).

And regarding add-ons, I don't have too many, just the ones I use and those I can count then with my hand fingers.

I will try the 10 buck version of P3D and see how it goes.

I can install that one together with FSX, right?

Thank you very much for your interest.

Best regards.

Yes, you can run them side by side, and I will be interested to hear your experience.

Again, there is no reason why FSX should be stuttering on your system, unless,

and this is the biggie, you overload it with addons.  If you have ten fingers, that could be quite a lot B)

As for settings... does it stutter with autogen at "normal", traffic turned off, and weather set to clear skies?

Bert