Sign in to follow this  
BrittoAviationLover

FSX Vs P3D, how good idea is it?

Nope, if I am in the default C172 at a default airport, the FSX run perfectly, the problem comes when I try to fly in the way I normally do, with an Add-On aircraft, and complex airport with REX and Orbx textures and ASN weather, that's the problem comes, and that is a big issue for me beause if I get that kind of performance flyting the way I normally do, then I get that kind of performace all the time... You see what I mean?

Now, most of you would say it is normal but I think that with the hardware that I have, it should not be the case.

Everything is basically Ok, except for the stuttering and low FPS issue.

If that can be fixed, I would not even think about buying P3D.

Best regards.

That is a classic case of overloading your system... you may think that should not be the case, but guess what...  There is no system I know of that cannot be overloaded by flight simulator addons when piled on top of each other..

Bert

I have P3D, FSX, FSXSE and XPlane installed.  There's no reason why you couldn't add different programs.... sure, no reason why not.

Dan Downs KCRP

If that can be fixed, I would not even think about buying P3D.

You might want to consider XPlane 10.xx.

For the most part these FSX vs. P3D vs. XYZ type of posts don't add value.  If you are having issues running FSX then you'll have issues running P3D (and probably XPlane 10.xx also).

Based on your statement, it sounds more like you're having a problem with FSX and would rather resolve your FSX problem than use P3D.  In which case, I encourage you to post in the FSX forums for a solution.  P3D will perform (FPS wise) better than FSX if you set "similar" graphics settings (they will never be exact because of the differences between the two products).

When you start adding the features that are NOT in FSX such as:

P3D Only options:

1.  Tessellation

2.  HDR

3.  Volumetric Fog

4.  Cloud shadows

5.  3D water

etc. ... then this will add more work for you CPU/GPU and hence reduce your FPS considerably.

Cheers, Rob.

Wow, that is so disappointing, I thought that maybe by buying this powerfull machine I would finally have a good experience with my hobby, but as far as I see here, I think that will not be.

:unsure:

Wow, that is so disappointing, I thought that maybe by buying this powerfull machine I would finally have a good experience with my hobby, but as far as I see here, I think that will not be.

:unsure:

I have a (slightly) similar system and I do have a good experience with my hobby... you should be able to have a good experience too. Maybe not with all options as high as you want but you will get used to that. I use P3D and imho it performs better than FSX, not only with similar setting, but also with higher settings. For instance, I can turn on almost all shadows and reflections and still get good performance. So, as others already suggested, simply give P3D a try. You will need to fiddle around with the in game settings but forget about tweaking the cfg for now. Just see where this gets you. FSX and P3D will always be disappointing in some regard (maybe a slight stutter here, a slow loading texture there, some artifacts: it nevers runs 100% perfect) but you should be able to ENJOY it nonetheless with your system!

Well, 

since I migrated to win 10, and did a semi-fresh install ( no applications or private folders under Windows kept ), I decided to be very restrictive about what I am going to install.

Bought p3dv2, and installed the latest version, and was so well impressed that yesterday I went ahead and got PMDG 777 again for it.

I also use ASN. I get between 23 and the limited 32 fps, with great graphics, AND I'm on an i5 2500 @ 3,3 GHz with a GTX 650 Ti 1 GB card !

I plan to upgrade to a Nvidia 960 2 GB ( 4GB still too expensive for me... ) and I believe I will be able to push the setting even further right in P3D.

I didn't install ORBX FTX Global, and the only scenery I have ( and has a few display and mesh problems never solved by Aerosoft ) is LPMA ( Madeira ).

I used FSX and FSX:SE with and without the excellent fixer, but I prefer the visual effects that P3D gives me.

My previous experience with P3Dv2, right after it was released, was a bad one, so bad that I returned and asked for the refund. The version I now am using has nothing to do in terms of performance with that initial version. I am very glad I took the plunge, and NO, I will not mess around with my clean and beautiful win 10 install and even think about putting FSX or FSX:SE back... Why would I ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

That is a classic case of overloading your system... you may think that should not be the case, but guess what...  There is no system I know of that cannot be overloaded by flight simulator addons when piled on top of each other..

It amazes me that so many people that run flight sims can't seem to grasp this fact, if you give the processors more calculations to perform, which more  add ons require, it is going to slow everything down. Should be common sense.... 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Good day everyone, once again thank you very much for your advice, well P3D is now downloading... But... There is a little problem... The PMDG J4100 does not work in P3D, does it? I really like that plane and if everything goes the way I expect it to be, I will certainly miss that aircraft in P3D...

Best Regards.

It amazes me that so many people that run flight sims can't seem to grasp this fact, if you give the processors more calculations to perform, which more  add ons require, it is going to slow everything down. Should be common sense.... 

Hi Bobsk8,

Yes, it is common sense, I do know that, but... With a powerfull processor like the I7 4790K running at 4.4 Ghz, one would think a high amount of information to process should not be a big issue.

It is just my humble opinion...

Best Regards.

Good day gentlemen, well, I downloaded and installed P3D, let me tell you something...

I have NEVER EVER seen that kind of smoothness in my FSX, P3D runs perfectly, I could even say perfectly is not enough... with pretty high settings, I tested it with different settings, aircrafts and I did not see a single stutter, I was like "Holy Cow!!!", I just loved it, I had to come to work but I can say I did not want to stop the sim, I did it because I had to...

Well, some new questions come to my head... What version should I get? Professional? Academic? the main reason for this question is the P3D and A2A aircrafts prices, What is the difference between these two versions besides the watermark on the right upper corner of the screen?

Best Regards.

What is the difference between these two versions besides the watermark on the right upper corner of the screen?

After decades with MSFS products, when I decided to start flight simming again and took a chance getting P3D, the first thing that jumped out at me was the smoothness. This is something that I always wanted and was never able to attain with MSFS. There is nothing that breaks immersion more than a herky, jerky, stuttering flight simulator. and this is something that with P3D I  never see anymore. Even in large airports like JFK and LGA, where the scenery is complex and the FPS are naturally lower, it is still smooth. I don't know how P3D did it, but they did. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Jorge,

Is your stuttering very "regular" (like a low framerate), or is it more like "moves smoothly for a second or two/large stutter (where everything stops for a split second)/moves smoothly for a second or two" etc? Also, have you always experienced stutters in FSX with your current PC? The reason I ask is because my FSX developed the latter kind after performing reasonably well for quite some time on my PC. In the end, I became so sick of it that I reinstalled FSX entirely. That problem vanished, even after I had installed all of my addons (effectively returning it to its prior state)....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Jorge,

Is your stuttering very "regular" (like a low framerate), or is it more like "moves smoothly for a second or two/large stutter (where everything stops for a split second)/moves smoothly for a second or two" etc? Also, have you always experienced stutters in FSX with your current PC? The reason I ask is because my FSX developed the latter kind after performing reasonably well for quite some time on my PC. In the end, I became so sick of it that I reinstalled FSX entirely. That problem vanished, even after I had installed all of my addons (effectively returning it to its prior state)....

Hi Christopher,

My Stuttering issue has been with me since I first installed FSX in the new PC, it also happened in the old one (A laptop), It has become so stressing that I don't even feel like flying anymore, I have tried re-installing my FSX several times with no success, I followed Froogle's advice about just turning off the Bufferpools and activating the highmemfix but still no success, I have tried many things alrealdy and, to be honest, I don't want to suffer anymore, P3D offers me an immediate cure for all my problems, so, I will take it.

Thank you for your interest sir,

Best regards.

I am finished with FSX......I will never use it again.....when I finally get my buddy to buy P3D I will remove FSX from my system.

Your hardware will run P3D easily.

FaxCap

Man, you were completely right.

Regards.

If you are having issues running FSX then you'll have issues running P3D (and probably XPlane 10.xx also).

I respect your opinion Rob, but that was not the case.

Regards.

No problem, Jorge. I made the switch from FSX to P3D last August, so welcome to the party! I assume that you have P3D installed now, and that it runs a lot better than FSX did? Have you installed all of your addons yet?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png