Sign in to follow this  
nudata

ReInstall Many ORBX Sceneries-time consuming?

I always find a fresh reinstall to be refreshing, even if due to an "event."

Furthermore I take tho opportunity to install only the addons I use most. It's been a while since I had ALL of my Orbx installed at the same time. It's just overkill for my taste.

I like some of your "ZEN" like approaches to re-installation, but I barley get enough time to fly as it is with, three children work and life constantly bearing down on me. I will take any simplification or speedy improvement that developers develop. As was stated earlier in the thread, if users had to install very single installer for megascenery (and I have a lot) then it would take weeks to install for someone like  me. As it is when I reinstall my photoscenery I have to add it by hand into the sims library. I suspect that there is a simpler way such as keeping a copy of the scenery cfg but I have never tried it. 

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I'm in the process of getting my 2.5 environment going and I'm just adding them as I want to fly to/around them.  Today, Darrington...tomorrow Diamond Pointe.  Kinda not so painful as doing them all at once and I just fly around them and enjoy for a while.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I like some of your "ZEN" like approaches to re-installation, but I barley get enough time to fly as it is with, three children work and life constantly bearing down on me. I will take any simplification or speedy improvement that developers develop. As was stated earlier in the thread, if users had to install very single installer for megascenery (and I have a lot) then it would take weeks to install for someone like  me. As it is when I reinstall my photoscenery I have to add it by hand into the sims library. I suspect that there is a simpler way such as keeping a copy of the scenery cfg but I have never tried it. 

No Mike that won't work as many sceneries need to add or change textures in folders other than their addon folder location, some need entries adding to the dll.xml and others need a recognised installation so their key registrations work - so its' probably just time to get more Zen !   :Peace:  

This is exactly why I have now installed FSX SE with all of my favourite add-ons, and there's a lot of them. As my new system runs FSX SE locked at 30fps and is smooth as butter, all I am personally missing out on is cloud shadows.

What is great and what I forgot, after exclusively using P3D for the last few years, is how nice it is to have all of my old sceneries and aircraft back, including a fully working UT2 AI fleet. All of my old Orbx airports work, all of my photoscenery looks great again and, as FSX SE appears to be a stable platform, it is now my go to sim for all flights.

I will keep a base install of P3D to follow development but do not have the time to do a full reinstall and optimisation every few months, especially when a full reinstall can take more than three weeks, due to limited time available.

@Phoenixphire - Install Photoscenery into a separate folder, ideally on a separate drive to your main sim, if it's P3D and needs regular updating, and keep a copy of your 'final working' scenery.cfg file. You only need to add the entries again (cut and paste) and resync the layers to get the scenery working in a new version. Use scenery config editor (freeware) for this. I just did this with over 200gb of Photoscenery, including Megascenery and Playsims UK and it saved me hours. Everything works fine. I wouldn't copy Orbx files and as that takes so long to reinstall (4 hours last time), I chose to install FSX SE so that I only have to reinstall once more.
I would rather fly than tweak and reinstall.

I like some of your "ZEN" like approaches to re-installation, but I barley get enough time to fly as it is with, three children work and life constantly bearing down on me. I will take any simplification or speedy improvement that developers develop. As was stated earlier in the thread, if users had to install very single installer for megascenery (and I have a lot) then it would take weeks to install for someone like me. As it is when I reinstall my photoscenery I have to add it by hand into the sims library. I suspect that there is a simpler way such as keeping a copy of the scenery cfg but I have never tried it.

Ryzen 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, Windows 10, Varjo Aero, DOF H3