Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

Can't run in Windows 10

Hey,

Thanks for making v2.9.  I am unable to run the application in my windows 10 pro.  I got it installed fine, but I have tried everything (including run as administrator) on the DX10 Configurator tool. 

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

PS - I am using the latest beta build of FSX-SE (62615preview)

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Correction:

I had to symlink the fsx-se.cfg file with fsx.cfg that way the app picked up.  Could you look into this Steve.

Steam has renamed fsx.cfg to fsx-se.cfg

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Its easier to describe what FSX:SE does and what DX10SF does

When you install FSX:SE it uses fsx.cfg in the directory appdata\roaming\Microsoft\fsx (same as FSX DVD does)

However if you install FSX:SE and the DVD edition is already installed (and thus using those files) FSX:SE uses fsx-se.cfg in appdata\roaming\Microsoft\fsx-se

When you install the DX10 libraries into a FSX system DX10SF determines whether the fsx installation is DVD or Steam. It does this by looking for the program FSXSEConfig.exe which should exist in steam edition but not DVD.

If DX10SF concludes that it is a DVD installation then it uses fsx.cfg in directory fsx

If DX10SF concludes that it is steam then its a little harder - it then looks to see if a fsx-se directory exists under appdata

if it does then it uses fsx_se.cfg in directory fsx-se

if it does not exist then it uses fsx.cfg in directory fsx

Now there are a few edge cases (dvd installed, steam installed, both removed, steam installed) but I don't understand why you had an issue or had to create a simlink.

Hi Steve,

I haven't installed DVD edition at all.  Just installed the steam edition (latest beta version).  The app won't run as it was not able to find fsx.cfg

It was a clean windows 10 install with clean steam fsx-se install

Steam should be using fsx.cfg in a clean install.

DTG made it such that for a clean install Steam looks exactly like a DVD install.

Does the beta behave differently in some way? Did you install the current Steam edition and then the beta?

Hey Steve,

Yeah, I did install the current steam edition and then the beta.  I am actually reinstalling clean FSX again (not the beta), and will report the results.  Once the beta is installed, and even if you revert back to the stable release, steam fsx will always create fsx_se.cfg.

I just did a clean reinstall of FSX stable build and yes by default it is using fsx.cfg and DX10 2.9 works.

Just giving you heads up - there could be a possibility when beta goes stable that may use fsx_se.cfg.  It is definitely is wait and see approach for the time being.  It just could be for the Beta release that there is a minor difference

By the way - 2.9 is Excellent release - Thank you