Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Did it again, and I really can't regret :-)

Moved to P3dv2, win 10, fresh install of system and only my two long time flight simulators FSX ( now P3Dv2 ) and Aerowinx ( now PSX, after many years with PS1 ... ).

But!.... there was something missing, something I couldn't resist... the 777 !!!

I had it for FSX, but I really don't want to mess again with my installs, and make an hybrid install with p3d and any flavor of fsx, so.... got the 777 gain - and it hearts, but it's more than worth  every penny it costs !

Surprise! In my new win10 Pro, this bird has even more astounding graphics, AND!!!!, even better performance. Mind that my system is a 4 yo i5 2500 @ 3,3 GHz, with a GTX 650 Ti 1 GB graphic card, and yet, I got from min 23 to a more o less stable 32 fps ( I set the limit at 32 in P3Dv2 options ), this with ASN pumping it's mighty weather effects !

Looking fwd for that Queen...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Jcomm, you are and will always be the biggest sim swinger in town!  :wink:

Try OPTIMIZE_PARTS=1 in the [sIM] section of the Prepar3d.cfg.

This can help FPS a lot with complex planes like the PMDG 737/777.

Jcomm, you are and will always be the biggest sim swinger in town!  :wink:

Try OPTIMIZE_PARTS=1 in the [sIM] section of the Prepar3d.cfg.

This can help FPS a lot with complex planes like the PMDG 737/777.

Dave!

Yes, thx for your suggestion, which I am using, as well as OPTIMIZE_DENSE_CLOUDS=1, the Affinity and the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.12 ...

Then, specially because it's win 10 and Nvidia Inspector isn't yet ready to tweak my Geeforce in this OS, I am using NI Control Panel with just entries for multi monitor and performance set, the rest being totally set within p3d's own disply Settings menu.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

So what exactly does the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=xx do?  I have that in my cfg, but mine is set to .01.  What is an optimal range for this setting?

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Dave!

Yes, thx for your suggestion, which I am using, as well as OPTIMIZE_DENSE_CLOUDS=1, the Affinity and the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.12 ...

Then, specially because it's win 10 and Nvidia Inspector isn't yet ready to tweak my Geeforce in this OS, I am using NI Control Panel with just entries for multi monitor and performance set, the rest being totally set within p3d's own disply Settings menu.

i use NI in P3D 2.5 under Win10, the difference with SGSS off & SGSS @ 8x is staggering on visuals, i'm using a 980Ti though which is different to you GPU

-rcladin

So what exactly does the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=xx do?  I have that in my cfg, but mine is set to .01.  What is an optimal range for this setting?

-Jim

0.33 seems to be the default, and I always read it shoudn't be set lower than 0.10

See here  and there for some comments regarding it's use in P3D.

i use NI in P3D 2.5 under Win10, the difference with SGSS off & SGSS @ 8x is staggering on visuals, i'm using a 980Ti though which is different to you GPU

-rcladin

I'll have to try it too - thx for you note rc

Main Simulation Rig:

now I have to wonder how it is I can still run P3D with my setting being so low.  I got that recommended setting from someone on Youtube...maybe I should be cautious of what I see or hear online. lol

I'll bump mine up and see if it makes a difference.  So far though, I can still hold 30's for frames, still get some stutters but nothing really bad.  I'm loving P3D more and more now and I doubt I'll go back to FSX.

-Jim

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Good grief!

Will this question never just die? :Confused:

From Phil Taylor quoting Adam Zofran (emphasis mine):

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ptaylor/archive/2007/05/11/tweak-of-the-week.aspx

On multi-core machines in SP1, we moved many fiber jobs off of the primary thread and onto secondary threads. Since FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION only affects scheduling of jobs on the primary thread, it will have less of an impact on the performance of Flight Sim on multi-core machines. In fact, we moved so many jobs off of the primary thread that there probably isn’t enough fiber work left to soak up the full time allowed by the default value of 0.33.

Therefore, on multi-core machines, there’s very little reason to tweak the fraction because it really only impacts performance of single core machines.

Please emphasize the pointlessness of tweaking this value on multi-core machines.

I honestly cannot see how it could be stated more clearly than what Adam wrote.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Good grief!

Will this question never just die? :Confused:

From Phil Taylor quoting Adam Zofran (emphasis mine):

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ptaylor/archive/2007/05/11/tweak-of-the-week.aspx

I honestly cannot see how it could be stated more clearly than what Adam wro

Geez, sorry I asked.  Jcomm was a little more polite with his reply and was very helpful...I thank you Jcomm.

-Jim

Geez, sorry I asked. Jcomm was a little more polite with his reply and was very helpful...I thank you Jcomm.

-Jim

Don't be sorry, it's just that for people who have been here for a long time, get tired of seeing the same questions get asked over and over, when the answer could have easily been found via a search here or on google.

Simply put, people who are self relient and know how to find answers without asking them given the vast amount of info available here and on the web, get annoyed when others don't take the same approach and end up asking the same questions again and again.

I'm not saying I'm on of them, just giving you the reason you'll see replies like that from time to time.

Geez, sorry I asked.  Jcomm was a little more polite with his reply and was very helpful...I thank you Jcomm.

-Jim

I think Bill's answer was to the point, actually a rude reply would have been to tell you to stop being lazy google the answer.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I hate to Google things... So I can perfectly understand Jim.

I'm one of those who, from time to time, repeats the same questions, because I don't Google them, and even worse, forget I had asked before... But on many occasions this has helped, because in the between, many variations over the theme have come to play, and what Google gives you can sometimes be rather misleading regarding the most adequate answer.

In fact, when I decided to set FFTF in P3Dv2, and I will still reduce it to 0.01, because truth is, it did make a difference when I reduced it to 0.12 without touching ANY other settings,  I did it based on a previous post at the prepar3d forums, just to realize reading this very same thread, that 0.01 could be a better option ( and one I never even considered using with FSX ).

Also, I believe that Phil's comments apply to FSX. P3D has a different architecture in as far as graphics processing goes, specially if we enable and play with the various Tesselation factors.

Main Simulation Rig:

If repetitive questions annoy people,  I must be hated :(  :P  

Jose, any value less than 0.10 is not simply ignored, it automatically reverts to the default value of 0.33.

Valid ranges for this parameter are 0.10 to 2.0, and still affects only the primary core's thread.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Thx Bill,

I have mine at 0.12, and I'm on an i5 2500, so with not even the chance to enable HT. I guess it'll have some impact, even if not that much.

I usually manually assign the processor affinities to ASN, VisualPSX and Aerowinx PSX as soon as all the applications are up & running.

Main Simulation Rig: