Sign in to follow this  
wulfbindewald

DX10 Rwy and taxiway lights prob at Orbx PAKT

Hi Steve,

at first thanks for the DX10 fixer update V2.9 which I use for my FSX DVD version.

The lights at PAKT are only visible if the A/C landing ligths are switched on. The trick with the PAKT_lightfield.bgl surprisingly does not work. I´m not sure if this is related to the updated fixer. I checked a couple of other ORBX airports but there it´s all ok; also no warnings for effects files to be converted....

Has the vertical PAKT_lightfield position to do with it as the Orbx PAKT airport scenery is partially elevated including sloping taxiways? Any other knob to toggle (moving legacy slider does not help)?

Wulf

Sorry I am very busy at the moment with issues related to the new release and I don't have that airfield.

You may be correct on the height, there is a visible light field effect in the install, if you try using that you could see if you can see it or not.

You may be correct on the height, there is a visible light field effect in the install, if you try using that you could see if you can see it or not.

I guess you are referring to to the PAKT_lightfield.bgl option, which does not help here.

The PAKT airport altitudes are by

- FSX default constant +88 ft above sea level

- Orbx PAKT airport scenery varying between Apron +60 ft to runway +140 ft above sea level

What I was tying to say is that in the bgl directory under the installation is the zip of compiled bgl for all the stock airports which you are using.  

There is also source to build your own light field - you fill in the lat, long and height and drop it onto the BGLComp  in the fsx sdk.   There are two source files one uses the normal lightfield effect and one uses a visible one so you can test that you can see it before using the other form to build the final invisible version.

Thanks for Your advise, Steve.

Unfortunately Altitude modifications to e.g. "140.0F"  (=140feet)  in the XML file and compiled bgl file did not work, means no visible light improvement. Enclosed 3 pics with the original PAKT_lightfield.bgl for better explanation:

1. External view 1,  landing lights off --> no airport lights visible:

PAKTDX10_1.jpg

2. External view 2 a bit rotated, landing lights off --> partially airport lights visible:

PAKTDX10_2da73f.jpg

3. External view 3, landing lights on --> all airport lights including apron/rwy/taxiwy light visible

PAKTDX10_3.jpg

Any further suggestions?

Wulf

did you try compiling with  the visible lightfield  XXXXLightFieldTest.xml?   If I could see the lightfield we might understand better -  the lat long placement may not be ideal given the original viewpoint

Here we go with the PAKT_LightFieldtest option....

- 4 pics which show the baseline lightfield and the modified in altitude +140ft MSL.

- all LightField_test.bgl located  in the scenery lib with priority 1

- all pics with landing lights off.

EDIT: the 2. pic should be titled "PAKT View to the East", sorry.

Wulf

PAKT_DX10_baseline42257b.jpg

PAKT_DX10_baseline5.jpg

PAKT_DX10_mod_140ft_6.jpg

PAKT_DX10_mod_140ft_7.jpg

ok now can you take exactly the same pictures using the proper LightField using the same lat, lon and height.  I am not sure that it will help but its all that I can suggest.

The change from LightField_test to LightField_proper does not visually change anything (The red test colour will disappear of course). As a result there is no need to apply any additional LightField to this airport as it would not really help. Only the A/C landing lights lit display all airport lights properly.

Thanks again for Your advise.

UPDATE:

The prob has been solved.

I disabled and enabled again the Convert Effects in the DX10 Controller Lights/Effects box. No further adjustments e.g. LightField option necessary. The reason for partly not displayed lights came from still unconverted files (reproducible). I wonder why the fixer tool has not alerted this although I have often used the DX10 controller.

Nevertheless I´m happy and learned a bit more about the DX10 fixer complexity and the mighty FSX SDK tool.

Wulf

Wulf

When you run the controller it compares the modification time of the effects directory with a "previous" value it stores in c:\ProgramData\DX10SceneryFixer\dx10.ini

If you install into 2 systems it tracks two directory modification dates in that file.

This detects new effects being added.

If an existing effect is changed rather than a new effect added it will not detect it.

So lets imagine there was an effect called ORBX_runway_light.fx - this was processed in the past and converted. 

The PAKT installation reverted it to an unconverted form and didn't install any new effects.

The conclusion is that if you don't get the prompt after installing a new scenery then its worth doing anyway.