Sign in to follow this  
Robert Howe

77F nose gear touchdown sound before contact

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

When landing the 77F, after main gear touchdown, the sound of the nose gear hitting the runway seems to play too soon. Everything else is fine with the landing, gross weight about 230 tonnes including fuel, approach at Vref+5. It's just that after I hear the sound of the nose gear making contact, the nose continues to drop significantly then stops abruptly, as though it hadn't reached the pavement when the sound played. 

It's just that after I hear the sound of the nose gear making contact, the nose continues to drop significantly then stops abruptly, as though it hadn't reached the pavement when the sound played. 

The nose gear does hang a bit, and the struts then compress. You sure this isn't what you're seeing? Note as well that the radio altimeter also begins to show negative values as the aircraft settles and the struts compress.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks, Kyle, I think that explains it. Done two more flights today and watched the radio altimeter carefully, nose gear touchdown sound plays at exactly RA0 then she settles to RA-2 which is the further drop I've noticed.

The more I fly and taxi this aircraft the more I like it.

Oops I spoke too soon and assumed too much, it seems. The two flights I referred to in my 2nd post were in the 77L.

Just landed at VTUD in the 77F. I was a little nose-high on main gear touchdown. The RA appeared to be showing 0 with the nose still well off the pavement, and the nose gear touchdown sound played while the nose gear was definitely still off the ground. Seems to be an issue with the 77F only.

Oops I spoke too soon and assumed too much, it seems. The two flights I referred to in my 2nd post were in the 77L.

Just landed at VTUD in the 77F. I was a little nose-high on main gear touchdown. The RA appeared to be showing 0 with the nose still well off the pavement, and the nose gear touchdown sound played while the nose gear was definitely still off the ground. Seems to be an issue with the 77F only.

Could you submit a ticket with a note about that? I'd enter it into the system myself, but I can't get to my PMDG stuff while at the day job.

Kyle Rodgers