Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

Something that really bothers me about AVSIM...

Sorry for the 'clickbait' title. This probably winds me up more than the majority of the people here.

BUT, the default 'smiley face' when making a post is actually a 'rolling eyes' face.

I've often wondered why there isn't just a run of the mill smiley in there when making a post.

Like I said, it probably doesn't bother most of the AVSIM members but it can definitely have a detrimental effect when seen by others.

For example...

I love AVSIM  :rolleyes:

vs.

I love AVSIM :smile:

thoughts?

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

Not sure I follow...  The default smiley is in the list, you just have to click show all under the emoticon.  :)

After 11 years on Avsim, I've never noticed the smiling face until you brought it up.....

Chase, I just mean this ":smile:" should be in the first line. I've seen a lot of posts were people substitute it with rolling eyes. (because they can't find the default?)

Anyway, like I said, it probably bothers me more than anyone else!

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

lol  acatually i have thought that myself when leaving posts,  i like to leave smiley faces but did wonder why the eyes would roll back,  i first thought it was to give the impression of the smiley face looking at the poster above :rolleyes:  

Either way its my favourite face to use.   Yes a smiley litte face with no eyes rolling would be cool as well.  

Yes i found it, its well hidden,  maybe bring this one up to the front   :smile:

:good:

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Check out what's #1  B)

Chase and Jim.....Here is another suggestion....Is there some way that an Icon or something to show clearly what Sim is the subject of posts. We now have post and questions for P3D, FSX, FSX-SE, and xplane and I guess soon there will be the new version of DTG Flight or what ever they call it. This makes it hard sometimes to use features like "Latest Forum Topics" to find your area of interest. For example, I am a P3D guy and when I see a topic like "tower view" or "rotation speed" ect I have no idea it is say for x-plane folks.

Perhalps the answer is as simple as an education program for users done as a sticky on all pages. Teach users to add something like "P3D-Tower view" or "XP-Tower View" FSX-SE-rotation speed. What you think?

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Perhalps the answer is as simple as an education program for users done as a sticky on all pages. Teach users to add something like "P3D-Tower view" or "XP-Tower View" FSX-SE-rotation speed. What you think?

A good suggestion.  Whenever a post is created, we have the tag system.  If properly used, you could search for P3D in the tags and it would show you all the P3D topics.  However, most members do not read pinned topics or forget what they said a week or two later.  We could come up with all kinds of instructions but will our members read and understand those instructions.  For instance, I have a pinned topic in the Screenshot forum suggesting that states, in part, the following:

"I think it would be helpful to our membership if you could tell us something about the image(s) like the aircraft (such as the PMDG 777 or Turbine Duke 60, etc.), the airport (FSDT KORD, FlyTampa, Taxi2Gate, etc.) where the image was taken, or where were you when you captured the image (such as over Virginia using MSE v2.0).  What was the simulator you used (FSX, FSX-SE, X-Plane, P3D, etc.). In others words give us the what, when, where as many individuals would like to see what some scenery or aircraft looks like before purchasing.  You might want to also add tags to your topic with appropriate information too."

Is that being done?  By some but not everyone.  So, you can come up with nice ideas like yours and pin instructions/suggestions, but not everyone will follow them.  I suspect most members think that posting in the P3D or X-Plane forum indicates they are talking about P3D or X-Plane and do not tag it properly.  I have made it mandatory to indicate the sim (FSX or FSX-SE) in the FSX/FSX-SE Forum. 

You, as a member of our community, can make that suggestion/recommendation in the various forums and I suspect it will be discussed at length.  Perhaps, for awhile, you will get many members to follow your suggestion but individuals will forget.  I remember when the Tag system was first implemented, everyone tagged their topic but not many do it anymore. 

My two-cents....

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Check out what's #1  B)

Cool! I knew the smilies had been rearranged when one of my favorites was no longer where I was used to finding it...

There also seem to be a few new ones, or at least ones I'd never noticed before.

:p0503:  

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

If you want the Default smiley face, type this (without the brackets)...

[:]smile[:]

Alan :smile:

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg