Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

When installing third party airports....

I'm fairly accustomed to installing third party airport scenery, making sure it is activated in the scenery library calling it a day. Does anyone have any other routines they follow when installing TP airports, like removing default .bgl's/, AFX files to a backup folder, so that only the new airport texture and scenery files are loaded and displayed?

Thanks for starting this.. In regards to this, has anyone successfully installed Imaginesim Atlanta. (P3dv2.5) I installed the fsx version (legit lol) and the updates for fsx and P3d.. but I can't get the buildings to display. Just shadows. Can't wait till they get the new Atlanta done but in the meantime, this is all I have :)  Don't mean to hijack your post ErichB.

Thanks,

Bob Morehead

Bob M

Hi Bob, have you followed the instructions found in the p3d v2 update file? The update that I mean is in the main page of katl.

I think the best thing to do is to wait until an add-on is compatible with P3D v2.5, that way you will save a lot of frustration and maybe a total crash and reinstallation, But on the other hand, we never learn.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

If Bob Morehead did not mean to hijack the thread, then why do it?  I have experienced this behavior too many times.  Start your own topic.  The original post asked a very specific question and deserves a proper reply.

Dom

has anyone successfully installed Imaginesim Atlanta.

Working well here.... make sure you've only got one AFCAD file for KATL.

like removing default .bgl's/, AFX files to a backup folder, so that only the new airport texture and scenery files are loaded and displayed?

Never had a problem that would motivate me to do that; however, along those lines, I will always look at the AFCAD that comes with the scenery with ADE and 20% of the time I will make a few tweaks primarily to accommodate the 777.   I've only got about 40 airports, but they are from a variety of sources including AVSIM library and the payware and have yet found one that I couldn't get working in P3D.

PS:  Dom play nicely please.

Dan Downs KCRP

The original post asked a very specific question and deserves a proper reply.

Dom for President! Thanks Dom

Never had a problem that would motivate me to do that;

When installing UK2000 airports, i have noticed not only the default building textures still being displayed, but also the default ADE (greyed out) underneath my TP airport layer. THe AI also use the default ADE instead of the new ADE file, so their parking is off as well as the placement of my aircraft at the gate.  I have heard of people saying that they have removed default .bgl's and ADE files, but the problem is it is not always clear/logical as to which the correct ones are to remove.  Just wondering whether some bright spark had the answer.

When installing UK2000 airports

Thanks for the amplification... I don't own any UK2000 airports yet and now I'm forewarned. Thanks.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks for the amplification... I don't own any UK2000 airports yet and now I'm forewarned.

I have had the same issue with Aerosoft's EGLL. UK2000 was just a current example. Frustratingly, I removed what I thought were default files, only to find that my taxiway signage now appears blank at Aerosoft's EGLL.

I must love this hobby soooo much to give up the time for this. I have spent more time tweaking, testing and fiddling with P3D than I ever expected would be necessary.  It was supposed to be the new dawn

I have had the same issue with Aerosoft's EGLL.  UK2000 was just a current example.

Now this is very interesting.. I did not have that problem with Aerosofts EGLL and I am now wondering if you use Scenery Editor to manage your addon scenery? This is a tool that I started using last year and now use as often as before every flight. Be sure the addon's are ranked higher priority than the defaults and I don't think you should this problem. If priority is not the reason you have this problem then I wonder what it is??

Scenery Editor here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/

It's for FSX but works perfect with P3D.. just adjust the location of the scenery.cfg file and it doesn't need to know the difference.

Dan Downs KCRP

Now this is very interesting.. I did not have that problem with Aerosofts EGLL and I am now wondering if you use Scenery Editor to manage your addon scenery? This is a tool that I started using last year and now use as often as before every flight. Be sure the addon's are ranked higher priority than the defaults and I don't think you should this problem. If priority is not the reason you have this problem then I wonder what it is??

Scenery Editor here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/

It's for FSX but works perfect with P3D.. just adjust the location of the scenery.cfg file and it doesn't need to know the difference.

Thanks Dan.  I'll have a look at SE.  

Nope, there is no problem with the prioritisation of my scenery.

In my experience, when buildings are not displaying for FSX addons in P3D, it's because the corresponding BGL-files are not fit for P3D. It takes a little time to check all BGL-files, but with ModelconvertorX you can convert the files for those buildings to P3D format and they should show up.

Cheers!

Maarten

it's because the corresponding BGL-files are not fit for P3D.

Excuse the nooby question:  How are P3D bgl files different from FSX? I've not run into this gem of knowledge and I am getting ready to launch a new airport project as soon as construction is finished at my home base (Corpus Christ TX).  Thanks.

Dan Downs KCRP

I'm not a scenery builder, I know how to perform the trick and dont know much of the technical details behind it, but I'll tell you as much as I know, for starts.

It has to do with the FSX flatten BGL file, that can make problems in P3D. This file is created with bglcomp.exe from the SDK from FSX, which differs from the bglcomp.exe from the SDK from P3D. If you have the P3D SDK installed, when exporting the BGL file in Model Coverter X, you can choose to have it processed as the P3D2 Flatten BGL file and then it should work in P3D2.

There are people on this forum who can tell you a lot more about it than I can and you can post your questions in the Add on Developer's forum on Avsim. Another place where you can go is fsdeveloper.com which is a forum for addon builders. If you cant get the info you're looking for on Avsim, this would be the place to go. The creator of Model Converter X is also on that forum, I'm sure he knows all about it.

Cheers!

Maarten