Sign in to follow this  
Demious

Some performance issues under Win10

I've just did a complete fresh install with WIndows 10 and over the whole, it works fine, everything looks really good and is perfectly smooth with great FPS, but I'm having 2 performance issues.

The first is that I've lost quite a bit of VAS, compared to what I had in Win7. For example, with the Majestic Q-400 my VAS lowered by as much as 400MB and what's even more, a simple aircraft as the Carenado Skymaster looses close to 800MB, even.

The other problem is with ASN. From fair weather to cloudy weather normally costs me like 10-12FPS, but now with Win10, this has increased to as much as 20FPS.

Can anyone tell me what might be the problem, here?

Cheers!

Maarten

Potentially, this is the `cost` of being an early adopter. Without system specs it's hard to tell, but P3D is not yet declared for Win 10, many users are reporting issues of all types, and very few, if any, report massive performance gains. 

Win 10 will receive a substantial patch next month, after whhich I suspect we may start to see some idea of whether and when L-M plan on supporting the new OS. It may be that you have to wait a year or more before DX12 is properly implemented so your rush to a new OS may prove fruitless. If your `early adopter` stance was to seek performance gains, why not just roll back ?

However, have you applied the Majestic Win 10 patch ? We'd better focus on that because the likelihod of Carenado revisiting an old aircraft to optimise for a new OS is about as likely as grass on the Moon.

From what I read from Microsoft, I understand that July would be the time to make the switch and with so many people updating confirmed this for me, more or less... But seeing that so many programs arent ready, I'm not really sure about what's going on.

I'm not looking for anything, Win7 works fine for me and I like it a lot better then Win10. I'd rather stick to Win7, only thing I'm worried about is further development of programs and if Win7 can keep up, indeed when DX12 is implemented, things like that. I dont want to get stuck when new technologies are implemented that wont be updated for Win7, especially when P3D3 will be released.

I've got the 1.016 patch for the Q400 installed, yes.

Cheers!

Maarten

Win 7 is supported for P3D. Win 10 is not - at least currently. One thing you can be certain of, as soon as significant performance benefits are delivered by the Win 10 / DX12 / P3D combo, you'll know !

We will all be tired from hearing about it !

Avsim will overflow with posts, I'm sure. :P

My frame rate in Win10 improved by 7-8FPS and the graphics with DSR are great and my sim is 100% smooth. But indeed, on the other hand I do notice several problems with programs that arent ready for Win10 yet...

Ah well, too bad. I'll stick with Win7 for now, I've got a full year to move over, so no rush. ;)

Cheers!

Maarten

My frame rate in Win10 improved by 7-8FPS and the graphics with DSR are great and my sim is 100% smooth.

Maarten. You mention DSR in Windows 10. I have it selected in the Nvidia control panel and normally see smaller text when its working in P3d. Thats what I used to observe in Windows 7. However, I am not

getting that with 10 so wondering if DSR is actually working.

I am using the latest Nvidia driver on GTX 970

Cheers

Pete

40282618105572517s.jpg

I dont know if I get the full effect, but I do notice a difference, in that the picture is smoother.

I've got the GTX780 with 353.62 driver and set it to 1.50 and 2.00 at 33%.

Cheers!

Maarten

Beau of LM has stated that altho P3D seems to run fine in W8.1 and W10, it is not officially supported. He further went on to state that they are not in the policy of changing OS support in a released version.

I take that to mean that 2.xx will not have official support. They also do not make announcements about future releases so there's no assurance that V3 would support it either.

Bottom line - when they do it, we will find out. :)

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I infer from Beau's comments that if you have issues with Win 10 and P3D, you can expect no support from L-M on the issue, unless it's something that also impacts and benefits the supported OS base.

It does also therefore look like >V3 will be the version that introduces DX12 support - and there's no rush to roll that out while the OS is experiencing its birthing pangs.

Plenty of time yet.

Marteen, have you updated the graphics drivers, making a clean install ?

Were you using NI before ( I'm assuming you're on Geeforce... ). You'll have to use Nvidia Control Panel.

Although I didn't test p3dv2 in win for quite a long time since I bought v2.5 last week, and updated to win 10 last weekend, I did notice, quite on the contrary, a better performance, specially with ASN.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...