Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Dell Ultrasharp U3415W 34" Curved Monitor

Does anyone own one of these beauties? I run a 30" Dell 2560x1600 res at the moment with a GTX 770 4gb and interested to hear some opinions.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Before you spend any more money on bigger/better monitors I recommend that you try and experience FSX/p3d on an Oculus Rift as I am sure that it will change your perception of the future of flight swimming. I have tried large screens, multi- screens and TrakIR and there is simply no comparison, but you just have to experience it for yourself.

Does anyone own one of these beauties? I run a 30" Dell 2560x1600 res at the moment with a GTX 770 4gb and interested to hear some opinions.

I ditched my surround setup for one of these. Amazing display. The sound is weak so you probably still need real speakers or a speaker bar for it. Worth every penny.

Edit:some will argue a 4k TV would be a better choice for the price but not really. It will take a lot more powerful system to run on 4k then on this monitor

I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of these monitors.  I had been consdiering 3 24" displays (currently using one 24" Dell Ultrasharp) but it just seems like a pain to get it all working correctly and I'm not sure the VC displays correctly from some of the pics/videos I have seen.  Would a monitor this size cause any distortion in the VC (I mostly fly the PMDG NGX)??

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Does anyone own one of these beauties? I run a 30" Dell 2560x1600 res at the moment with a GTX 770 4gb and interested to hear some opinions.

I bought mine last month.  It replaced a 30" Dell monitor 2560x1600 resolution.  I have a GTX780 card.  It looks great.  Quite a bit of discussion in the topic below - http://www.avsim.com/topic/471327-3-monitor-setup-research/.  After I bought mine last month BenQ decided to release a 35 inch curved monitor with a 144Hz refresh rate which is required if you ever want to try FSX/P3D or any other gaming application in 3D Vision mode.  It is slightly more at around $1000 - http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/benq-releases-xr3501-curved-monitor.html.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I bought mine last month.  It replaced a 30" Dell monitor 2560x1600 resolution.  I have a GTX780 card.  It looks great.  Quite a bit of discussion in the topic below - http://www.avsim.com/topic/471327-3-monitor-setup-research/.  After I bought mine last month BenQ decided to release a 35 inch curved monitor with a 144Hz refresh rate which is required if you ever want to try FSX/P3D or any other gaming application in 3D Vision mode.  It is slightly more at around $1000 - http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/benq-releases-xr3501-curved-monitor.html.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim - I am comparing this monitor to the Samsung curved 34" and I'm concerned about the IPS bleed that seems to be an issue on the Dell. Have you noticed this? I fly a good bit at night so I'm wondering if that is going to be an issue. The Samsung does not have this problem....apparently.

Thanks!

Eric

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

IPS bleed that seems to be an issue on the Dell. Have you noticed this?

If I would have seen any problems with the Dell 34" monitor I would have mentioned them.  There are some fantastic reviews of the Dell 34" monitor (calibration being one of the best ever) so I would be shocked if there was any IPS bleed.  I don't go looking for it and so far this is the best monitor I have ever owned.  The Dell 30" monitor I owned use to be the best.  I did do some research of the Samsung monitors as I like Samsung products.  As I recall I saw a bad review by one individual with the Dell monitor on the Amazon website that was selling the Samsung monitor.  He said he had both monitors in his house and the Samsung one stood out over the Dell Monitor.  I did not see any reviews where there were issues with the Dell Monitor and the IPS bleed in any professional review of this product.  I would hope you have a Source to the review where it shows there is an IPS bleed and you are not just making the accusation on the fly here.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

If I would have seen any problems with the Dell 34" monitor I would have mentioned them.  There are some fantastic reviews of the Dell 34" monitor (calibration being one of the best ever) so I would be shocked if there was any IPS bleed.  I don't go looking for it and so far this is the best monitor I have ever owned.  The Dell 30" monitor I owned use to be the best.  I did do some research of the Samsung monitors as I like Samsung products.  As I recall I saw a bad review by one individual with the Dell monitor on the Amazon website that was selling the Samsung monitor.  He said he had both monitors in his house and the Samsung one stood out over the Dell Monitor.  I did not see any reviews where there were issues with the Dell Monitor and the IPS bleed in any professional review of this product.  I would hope you have a Source to the review where it shows there is an IPS bleed and you are not just making the accusation on the fly here.

Best regards,

Jim- Thanks for the response. I certainly take the Amazon reviews with a grain of salt and assume most people haven't calibrated the monitor correctly. I have always owned Dell monitors (currently a 24" Ultrasharp) and have been happy with them so I will likely go with the Dell 34. I like the price better too!

Eric

The more I hear and see videos of these 34"+ curved monitors I really think these are the perfect solution for a VC along with a smaller monitor (24") for a 2D instrument panel. However, I'm thinking with TrackIR 5 on a monitor that size the 3D panel would be large enough to allow me to use a second monitor for a large outside view of the aircraft and maybe the GPS. I'm just wondering if a GTX 980 and a I7 4770K @ 4.5Ghz would be be even close to powering those two. I currently use this setup along with 16GB 2133Mhz Ram and with some of the scenery I have installed and all the scenery details to the Max (DX10) I'm often struggling to reach 30fps.

Does anyone witn a similar setup also have FPS problems? I know I need to update my NI config, but i can't see that improving things much? Has anyone found that a optimised Nvidia Inspector config has improved FPS significantly?

I bought mine last month.  It replaced a 30" Dell monitor 2560x1600 resolution.  I have a GTX780 card.  It looks great.

I know I've discussed this with you before Jim, but i was wondering what FPSs you're getting with all your add-ons? I know you intend to update to a Skylake CPU and a 980 TI I think, but have you had to sacrifice much in the way of settings currently to get it running at a respectable rate? Also, if you don't mind, have you any screenshots of it running? No probs if you don't, thanks.

I ditched my surround setup for one of these. Amazing display.

Hey Slayer, I was wondering if you're running all your add-ons, PlanG, etc. on the same PC or do you you use a networked PC. Goddamm, I want one of those 34" curved beauties! But with the way the Euro is at the moment, its' gonna be at least 2016 until I can find any real value in the market, and hopefully by then the various VR and AR headsets will have monitor manufacturers pricing their products more competively.

Well, I broke down and ordered the Dell 34" curved last night on Amazon. Should be here tomorrow....my wife thinks I'm crazy! I'm curious as to how my system will handle the higher resolution. I'm coming from a Dell 24"at 1920 x 1200. I bought that one 2 years ago and regret not going with at least a 27 or 30 back then. I recall Jim saying in one of the threads that he did not notice any FPS difference coming from his 30". I have a GTX 970 so I hope it will do the trick. I'm not planning to run any additional monitors.

Eric

I know I've discussed this with you before Jim, but i was wondering what FPSs you're getting with all your add-ons? I know you intend to update to a Skylake CPU and a 980 TI I think, but have you had to sacrifice much in the way of settings currently to get it running at a respectable rate? Also, if you don't mind, have you any screenshots of it running? No probs if you don't, thanks.

In FSX, around Taxi2Gate's KSEA, MSE v2 Washington State photoscenery, ASN, PMDG 737, I am getting between 20-30 fps in full screen mode.  In Windowed Mode, 30-45 fps.  I'm telling you about KSEA as this is one of the most fps unfriendly place in the world.  My video card settings are exactly as shown in the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide and the fsx settings too except I have LOD_Radius set at 6.5 and Texture_Max_Load at 4096.  No tweaks other than those two settings.  I have some pictures taken around the Seattle area but the max size I upload to my Oz (my image hosting site) is 4MB's.  I got it down to 6 MB's changing from .jpg to .png so need to cut down 2 more mb's somehow.  I want to post the screen size - 3440 x 1440 and I don't want to reduce the pixels.  If I can get it cut down, I'll post an image.

I am not totally sure now if I will upgrade my Haswell setup to Skylake.  I'm going to wait at least until I see more favorable news.  Right now, most experts are only recommending upgrading if you have a Sandy Bridge or below setup right now.  Yet it has a lot of new technology on the MB's.  I will wait at least until next year.

I'm coming from a Dell 24"at 1920 x 1200. I bought that one 2 years ago and regret not going with at least a 27 or 30 back then.

I have the Dell 24" monitor too and use it as a secondary monitor but not with FSX or P3D.  Multi-monitors require more resources.  I'll use it to enable ASN, ProATC-X and I have a link to my FSX.cfg, scenery.cfg, fsuipc.log, p3d.cfg, Nvidia Inspector, PMDG Ops Center, GEX Interface, UTX Setup, AISmooth, DX10 Scenery Fixer, and REX4 - Texture Direct apps.  I am very happy to hear you are moving up to a 34 inch monitor.  I would not be concerned with fps.  Even occasional fps at 10 are okay.  Anything above 15 is better and above 20 is great.  Even at 40 fps, you will see occasional stuttering or some blurries as it takes time to render textures no matter what the resolution.  The key is IMHO the resolution and screen size.  The immersion with a 30 or 34 inch monitor is hard to describe.  Just awesome.  You can also change the resolution on the 34 inch monitor to 1920 x 1200 but I would not recommend it.  The quality will not be as good.  I just think everyone would enjoy learning how to fly, using ILS's, VOR's, etc., setting up a FMC if they would not worry so much about FPS.  They will definitely go low at times but mostly you will see smooth transitions and fps. 

I'll try to post an image of a recent flight once I have the size of the file cut down.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Here are three images from a flight around Seattle, Washington.  The images give you an idea of what can be seen on one screen in 3440x1440 resolution.  Plus some frame rates in Windowed Mode.  The images were originally at 18 MB in size and I got them cut down just below 4 MB but the resolution and scope of the view is still there.

2015-8-13_12-15-55-287.png
2015-8-13_12-28-40-180a.png
2015-8-13_12-28-53-915a.png

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

I had the LG 34" Ultrawide curved 2 weeks ago...it was sweet...but it's been replaced.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_30548J7500/Samsung-UN48JU7500.html

I'm a big fan of the 3860x2160 :)  3D works in P3D (so literal) also with my dual GTX970 setup. It's damn immersive if I say so myself. The 3D is really something. It's kind of crazy NVidia is just like "Pssshhh, whatever, we'll just make anything 3D."

---Brian Bash---
398 HR MEL PPL and climbing!

The images give you an idea of what can be seen on one screen in 3440x1440 resolution.

Wow, just wow Jim, that monitor must have transferred your swimming experience not nothing else! The resolution just makes the cockpit look completely real, with such intricate detai, and the outside view is just spectacular as well.

That's me convinced! My next major purchase is definitively going to be one of these 34" curved monitors. I know I will be absolutely blown away by one. And thanks to your feedback regarding how your rig is handling it, it doesn't look like I'll have to worry about any system upgrades for it either. Thanks so much for those photos Jim, they've really given me a post- Christmas present to look forward to! In the meantime I can actually just focus on learning to fly properly!

The more I hear and see videos of these 34"+ curved monitors I really think these are the perfect solution for a VC along with a smaller monitor (24") for a 2D instrument panel. However, I'm thinking with TrackIR 5 on a monitor that size the 3D panel would be large enough to allow me to use a second monitor for a large outside view of the aircraft and maybe the GPS. I'm just wondering if a GTX 980 and a I7 4770K @ 4.5Ghz would be be even close to powering those two. I currently use this setup along with 16GB 2133Mhz Ram and with some of the scenery I have installed and all the scenery details to the Max (DX10) I'm often struggling to reach 30fps.

Does anyone witn a similar setup also have FPS problems? I know I need to update my NI config, but i can't see that improving things much? Has anyone found that a optimised Nvidia Inspector config has improved FPS significantly?

Hey Slayer, I was wondering if you're running all your add-ons, PlanG, etc. on the same PC or do you you use a networked PC. Goddamm, I want one of those 34" curved beauties! But with the way the Euro is at the moment, its' gonna be at least 2016 until I can find any real value in the market, and hopefully by then the various VR and AR headsets will have monitor manufacturers pricing their products more competively.

I have an ancient 15" flat panel I use as a second display for teamspeak and utilities , I also have an old laptop that I sometimes use for EFB.  Although VR is great would you use it as a 24/7 display for your desktop and everything? I will also get one of the VR devices as well but I don't want it for web browsing etc. My family would think I've totally lost it if I had one of those on the whole time.....

Edit : as far as FPS -  on my system there is a tipping point where the FPS drops with 3 monitors and that size seems to happily coincide just with the rez of the 34" monitor so generally the FPS is quite stable with this setup compared to nvidia surround.