Sign in to follow this  
targetpractice2

ez dok suddenly stopped working and install cant find folder fsx.se

Hi All

EZ Dok last night decided to stop working.  ( I am using latest version) This may or may not be related to an install of the drivers for the Saitek proflight yoke and throttle quadrant.  

Anyway when trying to reinstall EZdoc, it is looking for the FSX SE folder in roaming/local but I only have an FSX named folder.

I used to run FSX but uninstalled it and moved to FSX SE.. after a lot of work, all my addons work with SE including my original install of EZdoc...

I actually renamed the file to FSX-SE and ezdok found it but my adons stopped working..

When I launched FSX SE after changing the file name, it created another folder named FSX.

I am now confused.. when I read the forums they suggest there should be FSX-SE named folders in both roaming and local..but when I run SE it creates just FSX.. 

so is there something I have left in error that is creating the said folders? 

the only other idea would be to get EZdoc to point to the FSX folders...

just so annoying because everything has been running so smoothly on SE without any crashes and it looks fantastic..

I have an awful feeling I need to uninstall everything and start again clean.. which is hours of work...

thanks for any assistance/replies in advance.

so is there something I have left in error that is creating the said folders?

Yes. If FSX:SE is alone on your system, it will create the folders like the original boxed version did, except the main program folder, which is in steamapps. By removing the boxed installation you created a mixed up environment. Installers think you only have one FSX and only look for the default folders...

Reinstalling everything is a good idea, but be careful with that - you need to watch out for the correct order of uninstalling really everything first. The PC has to be cleaned from everything FSX, or the reinstall will fail.

But you may still get around this:

1. No renaming of folders, this only leads to tears. Get everything back the way it was for FSX:SE

2. Create a symlink in place of the old FSX boxed folders that points to the FSX:SE ones that are already there.

3. Now all installers will end up using FSX:SE without noticing it.

Example how to go about number 2.:

1. Open a command line window (Start->Execute->cmd)

2. Move to the appdata folder: cd c:\users\[yourname]\appdata\roaming\microsoft

3. Now create the symlink: mklink /d FSX FSX-SE

4. Move to the scenery folder: cd c:\ProgramData\Microsoft

5. Again create the symlink: mklink /d FSX FSX-SE

Please note that the "FSX-SE" is an assumption on my part - I don't know how these folders are really called, never had the dual install.

LORBY-SI

thanks for the info and assistance.  I think I will just uninstall everything and start again, bit of a pain but perhaps in the long run it will be beneficial.  Unfortunately its only EZdoK that has the issue all of a sudden.. it was working absolutely fine with SE so no idea why it decided not to work  When I did install SE originally FSX was still on my system so I do think it is something I have left in there so the only option to get everything working on SE is to uninstall and start again..

Depends on what you uninstalled and reinstalled and when / in what order.

From the sound of it, it could be that only your exe.xml was broken. I seem to remember that the Saitek drivers hook in there. Please check out this file first, before you uninstall everything (appdata/roaming/microsoft/fsx (or se))
 Exe.xml is just a textfile and can be opened with notepad. Paste the contents here, most errors are obvious.

LORBY-SI

Hi did a full uninstall and cleaned the registry etc.. have a clean version of SE now on the system.  no addons.. have tried to install EZdok and once again its looking for the FSX-SE/camera.cfg file which does not exist as FSX-SE creates an FSX folder in USERS not an FSX-SE folder (due to only one version being on the system).. on reading some other forums this is the norm where there is no FSX on the system.

So it may have worked before because I had two versions of FSX on the system and if you do, FSX SE create a folder called FSX-SE apparently.. could not find it though..

so I am thinking there must be a way other than changing the name of the folder to FSX-SE to point the EZdok installer for the camera.cfg  at the FSX folder...

cheers

Install EZDOK for FSX (=not SE).

I don't know the new installer of EZDOK, but basically all the installation helpers need to differ between two options:

1. You have both boxed and SE on your system and want to install into only one of them - then you need to tell the installer which one.

2. Or you have only one of those sims. You then always chosse the standard FSX install. SE only has a different program folder (which is covered by the registry entry), the rest of the folders are identical.

The way you describe it, you have an EZDOK installer looking for SE in a dual installation. Is there anything the installer wants to know from you, any options you have to select?

LORBY-SI

I have done a full re install of OS, after cleaning registry there was still something there that EZdok did not like and was continually looking for the FSX route..

complete clean and reinstall of my OS and EZdok worked first time.. normally it would give me two options to click on FSX Boxed or FSX SE.. now on install it just provides FSX Steam option...

its fixed now.. pain in the rear to do but solved the issue..