Sign in to follow this  
Louis8

Precision Flight control throttle and TOGA

I'm kinda X threaded on the take off set up . What i do is  advanced to 40% stable -advance to take off mode - hit the toga  screw with the Auto throttle on . If i fully advance the throttles  at this point they go in the red so back them to match the take off power EX 95% and monitor them all the way up and just as she goes from climb to cruise mode i put the throttles fully open and they are good and then on Top Of Descend  and come back as they should . Just wondering what procedure you guys are using cause for me its kinda hit and miss. 

Try to set up your system realisticaly. I have mine configured so that at 80 Kts, the power resets to the manualy adjusted setting on "THRUST HOLD". Advance throttles to 40% OK, then hit TOGA. At this point in the real NG the servos that move the throttles advance them to the predetermined takeoff specified in your N1 limit page. As the NGX setup that most of us have with Saitek, Goflight or any other hardware probably lacks servos, after hitting TOGA, you have to manually adjust the throttles to the takeoff setting, otherwise under that configuration thrust will revert back to whatever the physical position of the throttles is after 80 kts. There is a neat little feature in the NGX that lets you see and match the thrust in the N1 gauge.

The NGX with the 26K thrust option is such a powerful aircraft that you will seldom need all its takeoff thrust except for the highest MTOW takeoffs from airports such as Denver in a very hot day. If you want to add a touch of realism to your flying, buy TOPCAT (Takeoff and Landing Performance Calculation Tool), and crosscheck the suggested power settings and V speeds suggested by the FMC (this is how it is done in real life). You will find that at almost any takeoff weight, if you carry the necessary fuel, you will be able to balance the field at 9000 feet with a TO2 thrust reduction and if lucky add a little more reduction via increased temperature. You will now have takeoff power at around 91% N1 for most takeoffs, you will take care of your engines, reduce noise and fuel consumption. And, you will be able to match your engine thrust without worrying about going to the red.

I've seen this happen occasionally if I slam the throttle fully forward after selecting TOGA. I follow up the commanded N1 with the throttle input. That avoids any possibility of an overshoot.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Good read there. Maybe just one single correction. When you derate the engines you'll use a little more fuel than whith the full thrust setting. This is due to the fact that jet engines are most efficient at max thrust. Hence you do not derate to lower fuel costs. Save engine wear is a legit reason.

You do not necessarily have to buy TOPCAT to make Takeoff Performance Calculations. Search avsim file library for the "b737 dispatch sheet" which is an excel spreadsheet that will also help you determine performance and derates.

Umm OK guys, my young lad is Captain on one of these with a Canadian airline . so i'l have him go through what you just mentioned Alberto . He might be able to give me a dispatch sheet Lasse . I always take off Derate 1 -when he comes  over and grabs the yoke and flies this thing  he makes me look sick and i don't understand what the heck he does 1/2 the time .