Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

How do you cope with the updates ?

Contrarily to FSX, P3D get's regular updates, some of them deep enough to require re-install.

I have only two aircraft add-ons in my P3Dv2 - PMDG 777 and CARENADO B1900d - and only one scenery - Aerosoft Madeira.

But! I do own ORBX FTX Global, and since I always use AUTOGEN and TRESS at it's full left seting ( nill ), I am tempted to install ORBX Global because it really enhances the default textures, but....

If sooner or later a new P3D update is required, how do you suggest I should cope with such a big install ?  Uninstall ORBX FTX Global ? Can I uninstall P3D to upgrade to a new version, and still keep ORBX folders and files ? Any tricks ?

Thx for any suggestions!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

If sooner or later a new P3D update is required, how do you suggest I should cope with such a big install ?

LOL... you should have enough to worry about.  Worry about the next major update (my guess is 3-5 years) when it gets here.  I assume I'll swap out by F: drive which is a Velociraptor for another SSD and move Steam to a reformated F: but 3 years is a half life in computer technology.  Maybe I'll get one of those new quantum drives where the file both exists and doesn't exist at the same time.

Dan Downs KCRP

Seriously... FTX Global isn't THAT big...! A complete install takes something like 10 minutes maybe...? Whenever there is a big P3D update I even reinstall my entire OS...! There is nothing you have to 'cope' with: simply reinstall 'everything': any method to save or keep things, will probably take more time (preparing) so don't make a problem of it. ;)

Now if you would want to install for instance 15 planes and something like 35 FTX airports, Global, Vector, OpenLC, ASN, and so on, then you might start to think about coping with things... but even then I would simply reinstall everything at the moment you want to use something specific.

Haha thats a mini mini breakfast..we all have four course meals when we reinstall..we start the ritual in the early morning and dont eat, sleep etc etc unless that whole thing is up and running..the ritual runs past well into midnight and have a post rifual sleep at work..haha

With the addons you mention, it would take me about 2 hours to install from a fresh Windows up, including the like 250 updates for Windows. When I reinstall my system from Windows up, it will take me about 20 hours. And so far, the only 2 times a full reinstall was mandatory, was when switching from 1.4 to 2.0 and from 2.4 to 2.5. Non the less I choose to do a full reinstall for every new version.

I wouldnt worry too much about reinstalling.

Cheers!

Maarten

Ok guys, I'm convinced...

After all, I'm the guy who keeps uninstalling and re-installing every stuff, all along his simmer life :-)

The last installs of ORBX took quite a while. The installer progress bar advances and then get's stuck sometimes for 15 ' ... and then eventually continues.

Also, it had problems with P3Dv2 - requiring terrain.cfg to be in the main p3d folder. I know the patches solve that, but for the original install, with the installer taken from Flightsimstore, I will certainly face that problem again, so, this time, I'll place a copy of terrain.cfg in p3d's folder before starting :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

I installed Global v1.30 last week on a clean Windows 10 system with a freshly installed P3D v2.5 and didn't have any problems with missing cfg's. So you might want to download the latest Global installer instead of using the old original one and patching it. I NEVER install something using older installers when a new one is available! I even downloaded the latest version of P3D even though the only difference was the now included last hot fix. Yes, I rather download a 4 GB large up to date installer than use an old installer and fix it with a hot fix that's only a few KB. ;)

Ok Jeroen,  although I think the older 1.20 is still the one available through Flightsimstore... Will have to check!

Main Simulation Rig:

@Pankaj D:  You won !  :-)   There's simply no way to do that to a masterpiece !  More, it even ( thx to the excellent work of Garry Richards ) allows me to use P3d for the out-of-windshield visuals, and indeed no other airliner, in any sim, comes even close to it's level of modelling detail and accuracy.

Main Simulation Rig: