Sign in to follow this  
armchair_pilot

Win10 performance and sweetfx

Not really pleased with Win10. I'm having performance problems in both dx9 and 10 after a clean install. FPS have decreased by 3-5 since, my other games that I have installed so far run at least as good as with Win7, if not better.

Another issue is that I can no longer use sweetfx with dx10 because the checkbox in FSX will disappear when I install sfx. Anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong here??

I decided to give it a shot last night and upgrade to Windows 10. Not 24 hours later and I am in the process of rolling back to 8.1. All I can say is that for me this was a complete debacle, and not only for FSX, but in general, including hardware and mouse failure and a lot of frustration. This all considering that I ran all of the fixes (video card update, shader removal, etc., and a ton or reading). I have essentially given up trying to make it better, so haven't really tried much once I decided to throw in the towel. It looks like some folks are having success and others are having mass failure.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

That's strange enough, thing is if I'd roll back to Win7 I did nothing but waste 2 days of installing and configuring FSX. When I did the upgrade, there also was some performance loss but I thought that with a clean install it should become better...

I should add that I am running a triple screen setup using nvidia surround. Apparently there have been a lot of issues with surround and the new drivers on Win10, maybe that's causing the issues?

As for sweetfx not working with dx10, found out that's a common problem on Win 8 too. Reshade on the other hand works great.

I had significant peformance loss as well, and in fact my whole system was operating slower that with 8.1, and I have never really been a fan of windows 8. I do imagine that if I was as knowledgable about these transitions as some of the other folks on Avsim are, that perhaps I could get it work well on windows 10. I initiated all of the fixes I read of here on Avsim, but there are probably other things out there that need to be done. Good thing is the roll back took no time at all and now everything works well again, but I do assume that as time goes by things will get patched up. I figure at that point I will re-upgrade.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Best to wait until your hardware all have W10 drivers available to ensure proper performance.

Give it time for the OS to mature (ripen is the word I would use...) before taking a bite.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

this is what I read on the Plan G forum :

Tim Arnot wrote :

By default, Windows 10 gives priority to background tasks, not applications (this is wrong, IMHO)

To fix it:

Right click Start – System – Advanced system settings – Advanced – Performance Settings… - Advanced – check PROGRAMS

this is what I read on the Plan G forum :

Tim Arnot wrote :

By default, Windows 10 gives priority to background tasks, not applications (this is wrong, IMHO)

To fix it:

Right click Start – System – Advanced system settings – Advanced – Performance Settings… - Advanced – check PROGRAMS

Already checked by default. Would've been surprised if it was that easy :sad:

Mine was checked too.

All my apps are running faster in windows 10 than 8.1 but FSX. I lost about 3 FPS.

Looking for more information and performance tweaks.

In general, windows 10 is very nice.