Sign in to follow this  
joolsd

Fixed base Simulators Questions

I did a flight sim experience at virtual aerospace, at the begining of the year, it is meant to be a professional trainer. I just wondered what is the kit they are using? Is it flight desk soultions or something simular or is it better than that.  Can this kind of thing be done with the PMDG, with FSX or P3D?

Hyperthetically speaking , and this is is more of a fantasy than anything. Can a none qualifided person, IE a none pilot or instuctor build a cockpit using PMDG software in there own home or premise, and offer none training flights to the public, in a recreational context? Would this be against the End User agreement for the PMDG software?

I have seen a few videos of cockpits owners with a reasonable set up, it looks totally professional to me.

It is unlikely that I would run into that kind of money soon.  Has anyone done something like this?

Can this kind of thing be done with the PMDG, with FSX or P3D?

Currently? Not to the degree you would want to, though we're working with FDS on creating interfaces for the 744, 777 and 737.

Can a none qualifided person, IE a none pilot or instuctor build a cockpit using PMDG software in there own home or premise, and offer none training flights to the public, in a recreational context? Would this be against the End User agreement for the PMDG software?

It would depend on the EULA you have for our software. The current ones offered do not support engaging in training activities. Now, if you were to have a friend over who was interested in flying and sat him or her down and walked through the process of flying the plane, there shouldn't be an issue.

Has anyone done something like this?

We're building a sim center here near Washington DC and using FDS with our software. At some point thereafter, people will also be able to properly interface FDS (and most other hardware) with our software with little to no effort.

Kyle Rodgers

I meant flight deck soultions, not flight desk soultions. btw. I wrote that in a hurry.

It would depend on the EULA you have for our software. The current ones offered do not support engaging in training activities. Now, if you were to have a friend over who was interested in flying and sat him or her down and walked through the process of flying the plane, there shouldn't be an issue.

Well this has happened, a friend going for a real airline job, was going to have a sim assesment, in a 747. The actual job was in a a320, but it was more of a character test so the airline used a 744, to prove understanding of power setting, to demonstrating hand flying and sample rate of scanning instuments and so on. I was quite impressed by his IFR techniques and different terms he used.

So I showed him FSX and the PMDG 744.  The first thing he said was....'uhhh I don''t like the 3d cockpit'...So we set up a 2d cockpit config. I helped him out with the flows and check list.

It was a pretty good session.It was great for me as I was learning a lot, and putting the learns of PMDG to use. 

I kind of miss the 2d cockpit a bit, as great as the 3d NGX and 777 cockpit is.  And I think the session propted a hunger for better hardware. The Oculus or simular is on it's way, but it's a long long way off.

There are 3 ways Flight sim could go.  A desktop way, simular to what we have now.  A VR way if the technology gets a bit stronger.  Or the expensve hardware direction. Which would be out f reach for most people, and very probably out of reach to myself. This would be the most desired route of course.