Sign in to follow this  
Boeingman29562

First solo

Hey guys, hope you all are having a great summer! I have been continuing my flight training and I am happy to say that I am approaching my first solo on September 18th, which is my 16th birthday! Just wondering if you guys have any helpful tips on what to expect or anything else. Thanks for the feedback!

-Josh McCorquodale

Don't force a landing you're not comfortable with. And have fun! I still remember my first solo.

Been awhile since I posted here (use to be an avid member) not long ago - about a year- I did my first solo and I'm trying to get back on the sim to do extra training for my instrument rating (our sims are way better then the sims the flight schools use!)

My advice: being a little nervous is normal don't let that bother you, don't rush yourself and don't let anyone else rush you.

And lastly

Have fun and enjoy!

Lee

Take comfort knowing that your instructor is confident that you're ready. That should give you confidence as well. Relax as best you can, and look forward to how proud you'll feel when you've completed your flight.

Walter Berger

Just have to relax and remember your training. Also, make sure you tell the controllers you're a student pilot, if you're soloing at a towered airport! They'll go easy on ya, and make sure you're comfortable.

-Chris Crawford

-ATP/MEL

- B737 / B777 / B-727 / EMB-145 / LR-JET

It’s something that you’ll most likely remember the rest of your life. My solo was almost 20 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday.

First off don’t get frustrated if you don’t solo exactly when you think you will, lots of things can interfere like winds, or even the amount of other traffic in the pattern.

What you’ll notice is that the plane performs much better, so you’ll get to pattern altitude quicker than what you’re used to. The visibility to the right is also much improved, since no one is in the way :smile:. The biggest thing you’ll probably notice though is that you’re now the sole decision maker. There will be no feedback on how things are going. You’re going to be the one to critique your flying, and you’ll need to decide if your approach looks good, or if you need to go around. This however is also a very liberating feeling of responsibility and freedom that can only be understood once you’ve experienced it. Plus once the solo is out of the way you can look forward to the solo cross country flights which amps up everything even more.

Brian W

KPAE

My first solo was in 1992. Here's what my instructor told me and what I told my students:

1. Your instructor has confidence in you, so should you.

2. You are never alone. There's a whole world ready to help you on the other side of that radio.

3. Even though there's noone sitting next to you, say things out loud and talk yourself through it. You'll notice if you miss something or if something doesn't sound right.

4. Wear a cheap tie.

Have a good flight!

Thanks for all the input guys! I forgot to mention that I will be soloing at KRDU, which has a class C airspace, so I will make sure to say I am a student pilot (Thanks Chris!). I have heard about the climb performance with the airplane being light, which I am for sure looking forward to! I am also looking forward to the solo cross countries that follow, especially the thought of flying to see my grandparents for lunch, as they live at an airport not too far over 50nm away. I am just wondering guys, is this kind of frowned upon to go on a cross country and have a stopover of about an hour?

Thanks 

-Josh M.

Personally, I wouldn't mix in having relatives at the other airport. You're adding external pressures and distractions in an environment where you are still very new. There will be plenty of time for that when you are done, and 50nm is a very short hop. :)

In my experience, the traning after solo goes by very quickly as you get ready for the written and practical exams.

Personally, I wouldn't mix in having relatives at the other airport. You're adding external pressures and distractions in an environment where you are still very new. There will be plenty of time for that when you are done, and 50nm is a very short hop. :)

In my experience, the traning after solo goes by very quickly as you get ready for the written and practical exams.

I somewhat agree with this. Grandparents would want to see you take off, take a picture, and you may be distracted or pressured to rush your preflight. Take pride in your preflight! I sometimes spent up to an hour just doing preflight checks, double checking weather, updating my VFR flight plan, and performance calculations.

Anyway, you will have a lot of fun doing cross countries!