Sign in to follow this  
neucoas

First payware airliner

I have always been a GA guy, but i want to get into the world of the big ones.

What are your suggestions to a first payware airliner? My goal is to learn how to fly it, and start to get comfortable.

I'd like something a bit cheaper and less complicated than the PMDG 737, but i have no complains if its the most suitable for me.

Must be FSX-SE compatible!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers :)

N.-

It may depend on what kind of GA you like.  If you like full system depth/realism like A2A, go for the PMDG.  If you like eye candy and dont care about systems like Carenado, Capt. Sim might be what you are looking for.  If you are looking for something in between that is a great mix of systems/good ooks like RealAir or Aerosoft, the Aerosoft A320 might be right for you.

Cheers

TJ

I'd like something a bit cheaper and less complicated than the PMDG 737

A great starting point may be the Aerosoft Airbus series. Regarding "cheaper," just grab one of the sets (the 318/319 or the 320/321) series since you don't really need both if your intention is simply to learn. Aerosoft hit a great balance of performance, usability, and ease. Not every system is modeled since they're going after the role of the captain during day-to-day operations.

While I find the Boeing FMCs to be slightly more intuitive, I think the Aerosoft is a great way to stick your toe in the water, especially given some of the helpful features like built-in checklists and a copilot...

Aerosoft Airbus for sure, for the price, the quality, the built in shared cockpit feature, the copilot and checklist feature and so on.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

The Aerosoft A318/319 title:

The A318 offers additional cool "steep approches" no other Airbus is capable of. The A319 is very similar to the A320 or A321, so not much variation to gain from the A320/321 title.

Any Aerosoft Airbus title offers three ways of flying:

1. Having an active copilot who helps operating your bus (kind of a crew coordination idea).
  2. Having a passive copilot who will only read the checklists and will leave all the work up to you (great for learning the aircraft!)
  3. Copilot and checklists both switched off and flying completely on your own (rather an option if you use FS2Crew or MultiCrewExperience type of addons instead)

and less complicated than the PMDG 737

Don't be intimidated by the PMDG 737, it's actually not as complicated as you might think it is. They include some really good tutorials for beginners that will have you up and going in no time, plus there's a myriad of youtube videos as well.

It something like the PMDG products are what you want to be flying in the future, no need to waste money on lite products to prepare yourself, jump in to what you want and learn as you go.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Don't be intimidated by the PMDG 737, it's actually not as complicated as you might think it is. They include some really good tutorials for beginners that will have you up and going in no time, plus there's a myriad of youtube videos as well.

It something like the PMDG products are what you want to be flying in the future, no need to waste money on lite products to prepare yourself, jump in to what you want and learn as you go.

I cant agree enough. Personally, I am a systems depth guy. And frankly, once you fly one of PMDG's awesome planes, you will be hard pressed to find an equal. I know I hardly fly much of anything else since PMDG set the bar so high for other products.

To echo whats above, dont be intimidated by the NGX, or P3D. The "hardest" part is learning how to program and interact with the FMC. But there are literally hundreds of videos to show you how. The ones I found most helpful, and truly inspiring, are the ones by Froogle. Particularly his Fully Loaded series.

The NGX is really not that complicated once you learn what does what. So thats my 2 cents worth. I hope it helps you in your decision.

Edit: If you get stuck, I would be happy to share what I have learned sometime. You will generally find the folks here to be very helpful. PM if I can be of any assistance.

Edited by N405GJ

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

My vote would also be for the PMDG 737 NGX, and I actually learned to use the FMC back when I first got the PMDG MD-11X. I find the 737-NGX FMC to be very easy to program, and then if you decide to go further and pick up the PMDG 777 or any other Boeing jest going forward, there would be not much of a learning curve at all. One other package you may want to consider is the Quality Wings BAE-146 / Avro package which is great and also available for pretty cheap these days.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

If you want a big jet but don't want to deal with the FMC for now, try the Coolsky DC-9. System depth is right up there with PMDG. FDE is great as are the graphics. It's complex but relies on VOR and ADF navigation rather than the FMC. It has interactive tutorials that are superb. As far as I'm concerned its the whole package.If you like classics, theres not a better one out there.

PMDG 737.

No question about it.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

PMDG 777, the systems are more hands off with less to do than the 737, and allow you to just fly the airplane. But don't be intimidated by the 737 either. Watch a few videos or buy the great Angle of Attack video series and you will quickly become an expert at Boeing aircraft and able to jump into a 777 747 and 737 and fly

Or, as a curve ball, the Majestic Q400?

It's less complicated, systems wise, than any of the PMDG Boeings (i.e. the real aircraft is simpler), it's not quite as automated (no autoland or autothrottle) and requires a more "hands on" flying style, and is more suited to shorter legs.  It also has the best available training material of any of them (the Airline2Sim videos), at least until the PMDG 777 gets the same treatment.

Wow guys, thanks to everyone. I did not expect so many replies!

The Aerosoft A318/319 title:

Hi olli. My big concern is if the A318/319 are fully complatible with FSX SE. I did not find anything that specifies that. Only a thread of people reporting problems with the right FMC and other stuff.

I cant agree enough. Personally, I am a systems depth guy. And frankly, once you fly one of PMDG's awesome planes, you will be hard pressed to find an equal. I know I hardly fly much of anything else since PMDG set the bar so high for other products.

To echo whats above, dont be intimidated by the NGX, or P3D. The "hardest" part is learning how to program and interact with the FMC. But there are literally hundreds of videos to show you how. The ones I found most helpful, and truly inspiring, are the ones by Froogle. Particularly his Fully Loaded series.

The NGX is really not that complicated once you learn what does what. So thats my 2 cents worth. I hope it helps you in your decision.

Edit: If you get stuck, I would be happy to share what I have learned sometime. You will generally find the folks here to be very helpful. PM if I can be of any assistance.

Yeah! Its the same with A2A wonderful aircrafts! The only thing that stops me from buying the PMDG is: Stetics. I'd love to use the 600 series, as its the most common version on my country. But i have to pay another 24 bucks to use it  :Tounge: Just kidding

I love froogle. I almost never miss one of his videos. Thats what is holding me to buy the A318/A319, i have to find a YT that teachs me how to use it and can understand enough, as im not a native english speaker.

And thank you for your offer!

Talking seriusly, which has better performance/less stutters? PMDG 737 or AS A318/A319? Could someone confirm that the Airbus are fully compatible with Steam edition?

Cheers :)

N.-

Yes, go right for PMDG! It starts out as "started and running" unless you change it to "cold and dark" state, or long or short state. So, take it from there and whenever you want to go deeper, you certainly can. As far as airliners go, you will never regret PMDG!!

Mike.

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

(...)

Hi olli. My big concern is if the A318/319 are fully complatible with FSX SE. I did not find anything that specifies that. Only a thread of people reporting problems with the right FMC and other stuff.

(...)

This:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/96659-airbus-a318319320321-fsx-steam-questions/&do=findComment&comment=688705