Sign in to follow this  
1st fltsimguy

Premocache v2 help

OK folks I don't know much about this sort of thing.  I have read the spiel on the website advertising.  This is not advertising the product but asking about it's worth.

http://www.pcaviator.com/store/product.php?productid=20521&cat=0&page=1

I have no idea if it really works as stated or intended.  Surely, each system is different and results will vary, perhaps considerably.

Anyone with knowledge out there that can enlighten us (ME) would be appreciated.  Especially before I buy a new gaming PC this fall.

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Free trial here at this site!   http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/index.html

I'm not gonna try it!  Are you gonna try it??  Let's get Mikey...He hates everything! :lol:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I stopped believing in such apps long time ago.

Anybody wanna buy it and test it? :D

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

I stopped believing in such apps long time ago.

Anybody wanna buy it and test it? :D

Don't need to buy to try. Look at charliearon's post, there is a link for a free 30 day trial.

Me thinks I will Hold out for the new intel 3D xPoint Tech next year.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Yes I went to the actual developer's site and picked up the demo, haven't tried it yet but can't see what it would hurt.

Near CAM3

For what it's worth.....

I just flew a quick test flight KMRY-KSNS-KSJC-KSFO in the default Cessna with the GTN 750 using a 6.080GB memory cache. All the sliders to the right, ORBX NCA, Vector, KMRY, KSQL for add-ons and LOD radius set to 6.50000.

During that flight total data read was 36.33GB with 32.85GB being read from the cache - just a little over 90%. So..........

If you have a bottle-neck because of the disc drive this program should be a significant help. I wouldn't think the difference would be all that noticeable with FSX on an SSD but I think on a slower HDD (especially 5400 rpm) the difference could be huge.

There is a 60-day trial offer so it costs nothing to see what the effect on your system might be. I'd recommend trying it.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Thanks Doug.  I am going to give the trial a run through its paces today.

My FSX HD is a 7200 rpm and I have USB 3.0.  I am hoping that when I wonder into urban areas that this might help.

Anyway the fact that they have a trial test is perfect, if it works to give me a small boost I will be springing for this one especially if it means I don't have to buy a new PC this fall.

Here's hoping.

I agree that the sales pitch is a bit much but so are a lot of things these days.

Near CAM3

Looks like a glorified RAM disk. Most of us have boat loads of addons so unless you have over 100gb of ram it's kind of useless.

Just Type in Primotech and do a Google search. One of the hits is from the technical sites... "anandtech.com" for one - product was commented on and mostly dissed in Nov 2014 as a Post fetch ram disk.. my personal feeling is this is just another attempt at marketing.. but of course some members may find value.....

I gave the demo a try.  I think I did it correctly.  From what I saw in terms of frames, I didn't notice any change whatsoever, in fact I was almost thinking that my frames had dropped a few.  Looks like a bust for me.

Near CAM3

Unfortunately, no type of caching process will help framerates. What it will do is help prevent all the little mircostutters caused by repeated texture loadings from a slow HDD. Like all things, I expect it will work for some and not work for others.

(This isn't a RAMdisc BTW. It's a completely different process)

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I removed this software this morning.  It sucked back my 16 gigs RAM and to a point I could no longer multitask effectively and have FSX running in the background.

Everything was taking a long time to load and perform its actions.

I suppose it might be useful for somethings but for me its a bust.

Near CAM3