Sign in to follow this  

I'm currently using the Saitek Throttle Quadrant, and I'm less than satisfied.

I'm therefore looking for something for flying mostly GA twins in X-Plane and P3D. I have looked at the CH Throttle Quadrant, but I don't really like the look. Saiteks do look good, and have fairly good mounting, but the pots are just to cheap.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm also looking for input on the CH Throttle Quadrant. Recently got the Flight1 King Air B200, and for the first time, I wished I had dual controls for everything. I have the Saitek X-55, but that only gives me 2 power levers, and I end up using one axis for both props (I do use 2 of the small knobs for the conditioners).

Anyone have any input/advice on the CH quad? Running FSX SE and paid-for FSUIPC, if that helps.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I ended up buying the CH Throttle Quadrant. It's okay, but I most likely won't buy it again.

It does feel like the quality is better than Saitek though.

I ended up buying the CH Throttle Quadrant. It's okay, but I most likely won't buy it again.

It does feel like the quality is better than Saitek though.

Why don't you like it? The only other quadrant I could find was way more expensive and needed its own software to work. This is priced at $129 on Amazon, so it's something I can afford. So I'm wondering more about programming it through FSUIPC, and if the mechanical quality is good.

-= Gary Barth =-

I can't prove it, but I received a new Satiek second throttle quadrant a few weeks ago and the action (maybe the pot) is far better than my previous ones.

By the way, if you're suffering from a noisy pot, there is a fix for that rather than buying a new one.  Also, I know people who have been repacing the Saitek pots with higher quality one (Saitek MAY have followed suit).  Takes about 10 minutes to do.  Info is widely available via a Google Search (Youtube videos).

As far as CH goes, I've owned them and don't like them as much as I do the OLD Satiek TQs.

Finally, check the Bargins Hunters forum... there is a guy there selling custom TQ for about $250... you really have to see it.  I've spoken with him, and believe him to be a solid guy.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I've used a CH Throttle Quad w/FSUIPC for several years.  I fly PMDG products on FSX and it does a very good job.  I also fly a C-47 using FSUIPC.  I find it very realistic especially with individual prop, throttle and mixture controls for the gooney bird.  I have not experienced any problems with the Throttle Quad, except I think I have one noisy pot so I'll look into fixing it.

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

I've used a CH HOTAS setup since game port days - in my humble opinion - they are the best plastic controllers going... I did wear out my quad after many years of use - as the detent for the reverser wore out and wouldn't hold position... I'd recommend them... They have a pretty advanced program language that can do some sophisticated stuff...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

t I received a new Satiek second throttle quadrant a few weeks ago

Sorry, off topic, but where did you get a new Saitek throttle quadrant a few weeks ago?  They have been showing as out of stock for months on all the online retailers I have checked!

Sorry, off topic, but where did you get a new Saitek throttle quadrant a few weeks ago?  They have been showing as out of stock for months on all the online retailers I have checked!

+1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I can't prove it, but I received a new Satiek second throttle quadrant a few weeks ago and the action (maybe the pot) is far better than my previous ones.

By the way, if you're suffering from a noisy pot, there is a fix for that rather than buying a new one.  Also, I know people who have been repacing the Saitek pots with higher quality one (Saitek MAY have followed suit).  Takes about 10 minutes to do.  Info is widely available via a Google Search (Youtube videos).

As far as CH goes, I've owned them and don't like them as much as I do the OLD Satiek TQs.

Finally, check the Bargins Hunters forum... there is a guy there selling custom TQ for about $250... you really have to see it.  I've spoken with him, and believe him to be a solid guy.

Hi! Dave! Been awhile, eh?  Anyway, I have decided to go with a pair of Saitek quadrants (after watching one of Froogle's videos). The throw on those CH levers seemed to be awfully short...I couldn't imagine how fine-adjusting controls would work. But the Saitek levers look much better. Now I have to pop for the tray they sit in, for another $40 or so. And the new ones are out of stock everywhere - supposedly available in late January of February. I'm patient. Just hope the price doesn't increase.

-= Gary Barth =-

Why don't you like it? 

It's more a disappointment. It feels like it is quality, but the motion range of the levers and the spacing between them are just to short. 

It makes it hard to adjust prop or throttle without looking at the unit.