FSX - WIN10 Upgrade

Greetings Jim

Did as you suggested.

FSX in WIN10

Splash Screen to Free Flight = 9mins

Free Flight to Screen Load = 4mins

TrackIR loaded

ActiveSky loaded

All ran very smooth until I hit the ATC menu and requested full stop.  System frooze.

Shut FSX down through Task Manager

Will check event viewer next.

Event Log - ATC crash

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          16-Aug-15 7:17:35 AM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Richard-PC
Description:
Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e17d3
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0xfd140000
Faulting process id: 0x1e4c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0d79bd41b2d24
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 123e3d3c-0932-409a-9008-33c00ff7bf77
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-08-15T21:17:35.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>15467</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Richard-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>10.0.61472.0</Data>
    <Data>475e17d3</Data>
    <Data>unknown</Data>
    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>00000000</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>fd140000</Data>
    <Data>1e4c</Data>
    <Data>01d0d79bd41b2d24</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>unknown</Data>
    <Data>123e3d3c-0932-409a-9008-33c00ff7bf77</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Splash Screen to Free Flight = 9mins
Free Flight to Screen Load = 4mins

This indicates to me you have a lot of photoscenery (VFR stuff).  I have over 40 States that are photoscenery (MSE v2) and initially had them all enabled.  Took me 20 minutes to load to the splash screen to free flight.  Took another 10 minutes to load the free flight.  All the while my HDD could be heard thrashing in the background.  Soon after loading, system froze up.  Did you know that photoscenery is treated by FSX differently than textures?  In FSX/P3D/FSX-SE, textures around your flight only load.  Photoscenery, if enabled in the scenery library, will all load worldwide.  So you just want photoscenery that you will be using for a particular flight sim session.  I'm just guessing though as you do not indicate you have any VFR/photoscenery installed. 

I do see you have Orbx scenery installed.  That sometimes takes a long time to load but, as far as I know, only the Orbx scenery in the area of your flight will be loaded.  Still, using the Orbx utility, disable any scenery you do not need for a particular flight.  Only disable Orbx/FTX stuff via the utility and never through your Scenery Library or using the SceneryConfigEditor. 

The AVSIM CTD Guide provides guidance on page 4 on how to use a neat utility called the Process Monitor.  Instructions are included to setup the Process Monitor so that only FSX (or P3D, FSX-SE, X-Plane) will be shown (logged) in the Process Monitor.  So, you turn on the Process Monitor and then click on FSX and the Process Monitor will show you everything that is being loaded.  You can keep it running all the way until FSX freezes up or you can click on the Process Monitor at the setup screen where you configure your free flight or flight plan and hit Ctrl+E and the process monitor will end.  You can then save this log as "FSX_Load_Startup_Screen".  Close Process Monitor and restart.  FSX is at the Startup or Free Flight screen.  The now Process Monitor log will begin.  Load your flight and run Process Monitor until the sim freezes or crashes.  When it freezes or crashes, immediately click on Process Monitor and hit Ctrl+E to stop the logging.  Save this log as "FSX_Load_to_CTD".  You can then analyze the logs to see what's loading at startup and also what's loading after you click on Fly Now.  At the end of the log, you can see what was running when FSX froze or crashed.  Was it MyTrafficX AI?  Was it Orbx Scenery?  Good investigative tool.  Please do not post the log here.  The logs can get as large as 8 GB's per hour of flight as thousands of entries are being made per minute.  Not to worry though as it will usually show MyTrafficX loading flights around the world with thousands of entries.  If FSX freezes/crashes around the time you are seeing a lot of MyTrafficX entries, then most likely MyTrafficX caused the crash.  Same goes with any scenery or aircraft loading.  Good investigative tool that might provide you a clue as to the cause of your freezes.

FSX will freeze when it runs out of memory (not your installed RAM modules but virtual address space (VAS)).  You only get 4GB's.  Once that is depleted, FSX freezes up.  So, if you have a lot of photoscenery or high settings, FSX freezes up.  This is all explained in the AVSIM CTD Guide.  On page 3 of the AVSIM CTD Guide, I provide instructions on how to monitor VAS.  When it runs out or gets very low, FSX freezes/crashes.

Your lastest Event Viewer report just shows a "normal" appcrash (Event 1000).  Those happen all of the time.  Impossible to diagnose via any of the Event Viewer reports.  There's something internal to FSX that is causing the appcrash.  Most likely a tweak in the FSX.cfg.  Tweaks bad.  NickN, a well-known FSX authority does not recommend tweaks and I don't recommend tweaks.  The latest systems do not need them.  As I mentioned earlier, your system is marginal and the only tweaks I know that would work for your system is to keep your fsx.cfg settings set a the default.  Do not raise any of the sliders.  Tweaks will not give you the power to raise them higher.  I saw the AffinityMask=3984 (think that was it) setting you had in your config earlier and SteveW rightfully brought it to your attention.  It indicates to me you have no idea what a tweak does and you are just throwing in lines that Bojote or someone else put in their config and you think it will work wonders for your computer.  Bojote made those tweaks and tweaking program for Pentium systems and not for Sandy Bridge or later systems (although the tweaking program still works for even the latest systems and will modify your fsx.cfg.  Doesn't mean it works).

You also have FSX installed in the default location and that's not recommended.  See the following recommend guide - http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

You should also have your user access controls (UAC) disabled (see page 6 of the AVSIM CTD Guide).

If you cannot fix the problem(s) using the guidance above or the AVSIM CTD Guide, then you will need to completely uninstall FSX and reinstall it using the guidance in the PMDG guide above.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

I followed your guide to the letter.

• Rebuilt the FSX.CFG file
  • Disabled the dll.xml and exe.xml
  • Ran FSX in basic default mode (loaded very quick - ran smooth)
  • ATC worked ok
  • Discovered I had a bad dll.xml file (sent to PMDG for repair)
  • PMDG returned repaired file - inserted - all good
  • FSX now loads to PMDG aircraft in 3 mins (wow)
  • I also checked the Direct X
  • Deleted the Facilities and Scenery indexes
  • Cleaned the Registry (which I do normally)
  • Checked Microsoft.net - running current version
  • Emptied the AppData/Local/temp file
  • Recheck video drivers - all good.
  • Checked the UIautomationcore.dll - all good

Happy Days!  All is working well at this stage. Load time is very fast across the board in compassion to WIN7 – FSX.

I have run the following;

• Cessna 172 (default) 

• PMDG 737ngx (HUD data loaded ok)

• PMDG 777 (200 and 300) loaded ok

• PMDG 747 8i loaded ok.

• PMDG737ngx (YBBN to YSSY) with TrackIR and Active Sky (all good) 

Why is my TweaksFS-XML File ToolBox finding a missing SimConnect.xml in the AppData file?

If you lived in Brisbane I’d buy you beers.

Cheers

Richard

Why is my TweaksFS-XML File ToolBox finding a missing SimConnect.xml in the AppData file?

Hi Richard,

Glad some of my suggestions worked!  Let's hope you continue to have success and you can enjoy FSX.  In regards to the SimConnect.xml, I would not worry about it.  The TweakFS XML File ToolBox is supposed to install the SimConnect.xml file as it is used to enable/disable SimConnect clients.  So, TweakFS is telling you that this utility in their program is not installed.  If you are not have problems with SimConnect and programs like ASN (if installed) is working properly, then I wouldn't install this client. 

Hope things continue to go well for you.  If not, you know where AVSIM is located on your Internet dial.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10