Sign in to follow this  
Harley7354

Joystick & Out of Memory issues w/Win 8.1

Here is my current deal:

I was fed up with all the OOM's and Joystick problems, and figured Windows 10 couldn't be any worse.

My problems have all been solved! (except one small detail)

No more joystick problems.

No more Out of Memory Errors.

Windows 10 seems to have solved all of those issues. It was easy to upgrade and went as smooth as butter.

Also, FSX Steam is a big help with the tools that are offered on the logon site. The game files verify feature is sweet.

I just flew my PMDG 777-200LR 10 hours from OMDB to RJAA with the FSX default scenery .cfg and landed with everything on (Weather on Pilot side / Terrain on F/O side) looking out of the airplane from every angle. Used only 3.1 gig of the allotted 4.0 VAS. Previously, I would have run out of VAS at about six hours.

So, for me Windows 10 and Steam is the way to go!!!

Good deal, I had the same joystick resultvwith win10 and p3d, but sadly my mom's persist.

Oom's , not moms!

Here is my current deal:

I was fed up with all the OOM's and Joystick problems, and figured Windows 10 couldn't be any worse.

My problems have all been solved! (except one small detail)

No more joystick problems.

No more Out of Memory Errors.

Windows 10 seems to have solved all of those issues. It was easy to upgrade and went as smooth as butter.

Also, FSX Steam is a big help with the tools that are offered on the logon site. The game files verify feature is sweet.

I just flew my PMDG 777-200LR 10 hours from OMDB to RJAA with the FSX default scenery .cfg and landed with everything on (Weather on Pilot side / Terrain on F/O side) looking out of the airplane from every angle. Used only 3.1 gig of the allotted 4.0 VAS. Previously, I would have run out of VAS at about six hours.

So, for me Windows 10 and Steam is the way to go!!!

flying with default scenery is switching off the most important cause for oom's, as far as I know.

Try to fly around with lot's of heavy scenery and OOm's still happen. Although I have to admit that with Windows 10 they are not so frequent anymore.

Very entertaining to watch folks claim they think Windows 10 has solved or improved the VAS OOM issue.  Funny, but also a little sad. It displays a lack of basic understanding of the problem.

Of course an OS has a role in memory management, but an OS will never decide when an application has objects that can be removed from memory.  The application (or API in the case of .NET-based apps) must determine when an object can be disposed and free resources. In the case of MSFS, they apparently did not have a priority on disposal; understandable since at the time 32b and 4GB were the cat's meow.  By the time 64b became mainstream they didn't have the resources to fix the problem they created.

Any effect on VAS you notice using Windows 10 is probably pure placebo effect.

Dan Downs KCRP

Very entertaining to watch folks claim they think Windows 10 has solved or improved the VAS OOM issue.  Funny, but also a little sad. It displays a lack of basic understanding of the problem.

Of course an OS has a role in memory management, but an OS will never decide when an application has objects that can be removed from memory.  The application (or API in the case of .NET-based apps) must determine when an object can be disposed and free resources. In the case of MSFS, they apparently did not have a priority on disposal; understandable since at the time 32b and 4GB were the cat's meow.  By the time 64b became mainstream they didn't have the resources to fix the problem they created.

Any effect on VAS you notice using Windows 10 is probably pure placebo effect.

Well, thanks for the condescending reply! All I can say is that after upgrading, I have completed 18 flights of approximatety 90 hours with no OOM's and no Joystick problems. Four of those flights were over 14 hours, including one flight departing from KLAX (which has always been an issue for OOM's). The long flights were with my PDG 777-200LR and the shorter ones with the PMDG 737 NGX. So, sadly, I guess I'm happy that I'm on a steady diet of placebos. I'm sure you have a deep understanding of the new Windows 10, so I wouldn't think of questioning your thoughts. All I know is what works.

A little off topic, great Harley Joe.

Well, OOMS can also occur when the virtual memory is not configured correctly in the OS :)

I was getting OOM's in X-Plane 10 64-bit when I realised that I had set the SSD to OS optimized which meant that it had set the virtual memory to 200 mb!

Setting it manually back to the HDD with 4096-8192 solved that little puppy.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I'm glad Mr Parker has found solace in Windows 10 - and his flight simulation OOMs.

I agree with him that things feel more robust on the whole win Win 10.

However I've been experiencing more OOMs than ever before. I neither blame Windows 10, nor LM, nor PMDG for this.

Instead, I put it down to us having different add-ons, and those "subtle little changes" in our configs and set ups.

I did manage a 12 hour flight from Hong Hong to Amsterdam yesterday. JUST. With 3.9Gb of VAS used on landing :)

The key point is "everyone is right" in their own findings, even if the interpretation isn't scientific ;)