Sign in to follow this  
Dimka

GTX 970 to pair with i7 4790K good enough to live stream?

Hello! 

I want to start live streaming FSX (and P3D) with addon aircraft at addon scenery, but with good FPS (35FPS steady). I have an i7 4790K and 16Gb's of RAM, but I have been told my GTX650 is a HUGE bottleneck for my system. So much so that when I try to run P3D, I maybe get 17FPS. I asked around and many people have recommended the GTX 970, and I want to make sure I am 1000% sure it's the right thing to get before spending the $350. So can anyone confirm that if I get the GTX 970 and pair it with my i7 that I will get ~35FPS at addon scenery in an addon airport WHILE live streaming? And if so, should I get the MSI, EVGA, or the Gigabyte model? 

Thanks! 

Hello! 

I want to start live streaming FSX (and P3D) with addon aircraft at addon scenery, but with good FPS (35FPS steady). I have an i7 4790K and 16Gb's of RAM, but I have been told my GTX650 is a HUGE bottleneck for my system. So much so that when I try to run P3D, I maybe get 17FPS. I asked around and many people have recommended the GTX 970, and I want to make sure I am 1000% sure it's the right thing to get before spending the $350. So can anyone confirm that if I get the GTX 970 and pair it with my i7 that I will get ~35FPS at addon scenery in an addon airport WHILE live streaming? And if so, should I get the MSI, EVGA, or the Gigabyte model? 

Thanks!

If you already have a decent HDMI streaming device, then I would just focus on over clocking that CPU. You could get up to 4.5-4.6Ghz without your system breaking a sweat (as long as you have some idea of what you're doing!). However, if you do go for a GC upgrade then the 970 still has the most bang for your buck!

I have NO idea how to over clock XD. I've tried it once before and ended up with a blue screen... I flacked up. And many have confirmed the GTX970 is the choice of FaceBook pages and such, what model should I get? I head the Gigabyte model is better, but I have a a horrible history with Gigabyte. And there is also an Asus, MSI, and Evga (i think thats the name) one as well. Which one with pair up best with my system? 

I run an i74770K (not overclocked, just Turbo) with a 970 and I'm able to stream without any performance hit.  Did the same with a GTX760, and even an i7-960 with an ATI5830. Aircraft tested are the NGX, PMDG 777, Majestic Dash 8 Professional, and others.

You'll be fine.  It's all in the settings (I ran FSX at mid to high range settings on both rigs without any issues whatsoever, and the guy who purchased my i7-960 is still streaming our Shared Cockpit flights just fine).

Hope this helps!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I have the GTX970 windforce with 4790K running @4.7GHz, 16GB DDR3 and a dedicated SSD with noting else on it.

With addons there is no way you will get 35 steady in VC of a PMDG plane.

Dunno what you will be flying but we need 5.5GHz+ else this will never be smooth when you start using addons.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Hey Paul,

You're absolutely correct, not going to get 30+FPS consentantly when using PMDG (unless one lowers settings).... however I run all Payware graphics (FTX Global, Vector, Airports) along with GSX, Aivalasoft EFB, ai aircraft models and AI shipping all running at the same time, as do the others I work with.  We do this for both immersion and testing of products, and when doing so while live streaming in a PMDG NGX or 777 we see FPS range from 15 to about 32, with an averate of somewhere between 15 to 24 on the ground or low level - and that's in shared cockpit, while streaming of course.

That said, the 15fps is very smooth.  We don't chase FPS, because so long as you have 15+ and it's smooth. When I trimmed things down, I was able to get 58+fps while streaming (using NVIDIA Stream Codec).

I hope this is helpful!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

30FPS was just a prayer. Every simmer know it's not physically possible, unless you're NASA. And thanks so much! This feed back helps and I will get the GTX970 Asus model since my motherboard is also Asus.

Thanks again! 

30FPS was just a prayer. Every simmer know it's not physically possible, unless you're NASA. And thanks so much! This feed back helps and I will get the GTX970 Asus model since my motherboard is also Asus.

Thanks again!

Hey. Since you have an Asus MB I would definitely give OC'ING another try, otherwise you're really wasting the potential of that card. Asus make it really easy to over clock conservatively of you prefer to start carefully and sfter a little research and tweaking, you could be looking at an extra 5-10 fps easily from it's stock speed!I'm always happy to advise if you decide to try it out!

Thanks! The research I did that led up to the blue screen said I increase the clock speed (45 GHz lets say) to 46 or 46GHz which would turn to 4.6/4.7GHz and increase the CPU voltage. That's where I failed. The blue screen was because of the over clocking and the voltage, I haven't found proper info on how to increase the GHz and CPU voltage to a point they like each other and work better. 

Hey Paul,

You're absolutely correct, not going to get 30+FPS consentantly when using PMDG (unless one lowers settings).... however I run all Payware graphics (FTX Global, Vector, Airports) along with GSX, Aivalasoft EFB, ai aircraft models and AI shipping all running at the same time, as do the others I work with.  We do this for both immersion and testing of products, and when doing so while live streaming in a PMDG NGX or 777 we see FPS range from 15 to about 32, with an averate of somewhere between 15 to 24 on the ground or low level - and that's in shared cockpit, while streaming of course.

That said, the 15fps is very smooth.  We don't chase FPS, because so long as you have 15+ and it's smooth. When I trimmed things down, I was able to get 58+fps while streaming (using NVIDIA Stream Codec).

I hope this is helpful!

Everything under 20fps makes me want to quit the game haha.

I stopped using scenery addons because of this.

Thanks! The research I did that led up to the blue screen said I increase the clock speed (45 GHz lets say) to 46 or 46GHz which would turn to 4.6/4.7GHz and increase the CPU voltage. That's where I failed. The blue screen was because of the over clocking and the voltage, I haven't found proper info on how to increase the GHz and CPU voltage to a point they like each other and work better. 

You OC by small margins. And then you run test software. if it is stable you add a bit more and so on.

Download Intel Tuning Utility. Read about it, create profiles and enjoy.

I run my CPU at 4.7GHz for every takeoff. Once airborne (10K+) I underclock to 3.7GHz and fly it this way.

At this clock in air it's smooth as butter oscillating between 29-35 in VC for the PMDG 777.

Before descent I hit 4.7GHz and I'm smooth on every approach and landing. Tradeoff is that the temps tend to hit 70+ degrees celcius this way

Can be annoying to some people but that way I'm minimizing stress on the CPU and for most part when running @3.7 my temps are under 50 degrees which is leisure time for CPU.

I run 2 monitors and work in background for most of the time. Never bluescreened nor crashed even though sometimes I'm left with under 1GB of RAM :D

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

While I'm still looking for a proper guide and tutorial, can you recommend somewhere I can start? Like a forum about over clocking an i7 and such? 

TomsHardware. God knows I've been there many times XD. Thanks, I'll read up and try again. 

[quote name='ValleyDeer' timestamp='1439524955' post='3282901'

Well I only have a 4770K and the cheapest Asus Z-97 board and I'm comfortably getting 4.5Ghz by just increasing the clock, making sure my memory is at it's certified 2133Mhz and leaving most all the other settings to auto. Can you screen grab (I think you can do this with UEFI BIOS), if not just take a couple of photos of your BIOS, especially on the AI tweaking screen. Also I hope you're doing the over clocking in the BIOS! Also I hope you have enough cooling in your system (how many system fans do you have and have they been configured properly for different temps), also what model is your case?. PM me if you want me to talk you through it when you're at your Pc. And if you could give me the brand and model name of your ram and it's certified speed if you this. We'll get to the bottom of this man! On, and a download a small freeware program called CPU-Z, that will give you most of the info you need about your system.

Hope I haven't overloaded you with requests, just get back to me when you get a chance, I enjoy a project like this!