Sign in to follow this  
Winglessnomore

Middle of new build...Win 8.1...FSX...Win 10?

Hi All,

Need some wise advice...I'm in the middle of a brand new build...it's been a very long, drawn out affair as my free time is extremely limited.  I've got Win 8.1 running very nicely now (first and only OS installed), a few other apps, and that's it.  I've just been tweaking the system and still installing everything into the case.  I have a new copy of FSX that I haven't even installed yet; also Saitek X55, and expect to use PMDG products.  Should I move to Win 10 first? Upgrade or fresh install? (can you do a fresh install if you're only upgrading?).  I haven't seen any comments about a new install of FSX on a Win 10 machine and whether or not there are activation issues.  Or, would be safer to get FSX going and upgrade the OS later (though I expect comments NOT to do that).

Much thanks,

Dave

Hi All,

Need some wise advice...I'm in the middle of a brand new build...it's been a very long, drawn out affair as my free time is extremely limited. I've got Win 8.1 running very nicely now (first and only OS installed), a few other apps, and that's it. I've just been tweaking the system and still installing everything into the case. I have a new copy of FSX that I haven't even installed yet; also Saitek X55, and expect to use PMDG products. Should I move to Win 10 first? Upgrade or fresh install? (can you do a fresh install if you're only upgrading?). I haven't seen any comments about a new install of FSX on a Win 10 machine and whether or not there are activation issues. Or, would be safer to get FSX going and upgrade the OS later (though I expect comments NOT to do that).

Much thanks,

Dave

You should (and need to, if you want to clean install) install W8, upgrade it to W10, and then do the clean install.

Use the Media Creation Tool to upgrade, then use it again to make an ISO or bootable USB to clean install. Use your W8.1 key.

You should (and need to, if you want to clean install) install W8, upgrade it to W10, and then do the clean install.

Use the Media Creation Tool to upgrade, then use it again to make an ISO or bootable USB to clean install. Use your W8.1 key.

After making the ISO or USB, do you wipe the drive clean?  I also have second and third drives -actually the first and second are 250G SSD's, and the third a 1G HDD.  Can I leave the 2nd and 3rd alone (no programs on them), or should they wiped clean also?  I know stuff can be hidden on drives.

Thx,

Dave

After making the ISO or USB, do you wipe the drive clean? I also have second and third drives -actually the first and second are 250G SSD's, and the third a 1G HDD. Can I leave the 2nd and 3rd alone (no programs on them), or should they wiped clean also? I know stuff can be hidden on drives.

Thx,

Dave

You can if you want to. Windows setup allows you to create and format partitions.

Or skip the Win 8 stuff, install Win 10 and activate it using your Win 8 key.