Sign in to follow this  
dever23b

Possible to re-probe audio devices?

Hello again:

Is there any way (/can a way be made) to force FS2Crew to refresh its audio system to recover from when a USB audio device reconnects?

When I've needed to reconnect my USB headset for whatever reason, I haven't been able to get FS2Crew to use it without a FSX reboot.  I don't think this is a FSX limitation, because FSX seems to recognize the headset again after I go to Options->Sound and re-select it.  I haven't had much luck getting FS2Crew to use it, though.

I know the simple fix would be to simply not disconnect the headset, but I was just hoping there was a way to recover if the headset has to be reconnected for whatever reason.  

Thanks for all the hard work.  Really enjoying the product so far!

Have the same problem, sometimes my external USB soundcard disconnects. PMDG and FSX sounds recover from disconnect by some manipulations with sound settings, but FS2Crew not. I tried RESET option, still no luck, only FSX restart.     

In Windows changing default sound device to another and back. Same in FSX sound settings and in PMDG options menu of CDU.

Hi Tyler,

Glad you like the software  :smile:

Did you try the "reset" option on the FS2Crew Audio page (Secondary Panel)?

Hi Bryan:

I'm sorry I didn't reply right away.  I'm struggling with the forum reply notifications.  

Yes, I did try the reset function, but I'm not having much luck with it.  It definitely is doing something, but unfortunately I don't get audio back.  I know something is triggered, because FS2Crew appears to do a partial reload, switches to "button control," then back to "voice control" and finally I get a notification about the voice recognition system initializing.  So, it seems to be trying; however, once all is said and done, it doesn't yield audio from a (previously-)disconnected device.  What is interesting: it will show my (USB) headset as a potential headset device (in the audio setup dialog), but I just can't get it to output audio if the device is ever reconnected.  

Another thing I tried, since my original post: I went to Device Manager and triggered a re-probe of devices (I thought it might send a signal to FS2Crew, maybe).  That also failed to yield any results.

What is interesting: it will show my (USB) headset as a potential headset device (in the audio setup dialog), but I just can't get it to output audio if the device is ever reconnected.  

The audio output and audio input are two totally separate systems.

So that make sense.

Is there anything you can do to prevent your headset from disconnecting?

Check your USB port settings... make sure none of them are set to go into "sleep" mode.

What is interesting: it will show my (USB) headset as a potential headset device (in the audio setup dialog), but I just can't get it to output audio if the device is ever reconnected.  

So that make sense.

Check your USB port settings... make sure none of them are set to go into "sleep" mode.

So that make sense.

So that make sense.

I understand that the two systems are separate; I just wondered if there's a way to get the audio system to "refresh" (both input and output, I suppose).  Separate as they may be, I get the same result on both systems.  I was hoping you could help me with the reset function because I'm struggling with it.

When my USB headset disconnects, it's intentional-- and believe me, I try to avoid it at all costs.  My headset has a privacy "feature" that auto-mutes the mic when it first powers on, to prevent unintended transmissions on a hot mic.  This feature works great when the headset is plugged into a console; however, on the computer sometimes it gets glitched and I can't unmute the mic.  The last resort is to reconnect the headset, but when I do so FS2Crew stops communicating with it and I have to restart FS.  What's odd, though, is FS recognizes the headset after the reconnect.  Is that a good sign?

The only way we can really reset things is via the Reset function on the Audio panel.  However, everyone's computer is different.  Resetting seems to do the trick on some machines, but not others.

Is there anyway you can disable the "privacy" feature on your headset if it's causing the disconnect?

If it works fine on your console, but not your PC, I might suggest using a new headset for your PC.

It sounds like your headset is really complex.  A simple $20 USB headset will work fine.

Alright.  I am looking into the privacy feature, I was just really hoping that you might be able to look into the reset feature or guide me on how to have better results from it.  My only two issues with the otherwise fantastic product thus far seem to be resolvable by actually resetting the FS2Crew audio system (or perhaps even completely unloading & reloading FS2Crew, if that's possible).  

The reset feature, in its present state, does not seem to reset the audio system; it appears to reload the dialog window and switch the operating mode between voice and button control; however, it does not appear to do anything to the audio system. 

It sounds like you're essentially telling me you won't be looking into improving the reset system, so I suppose I'll just settle with restarting FS occasionally.  As I mentioned, the rest of the product works fantastically and I'm very pleased with the purchase.

Thanks for your time.

Well, the audio system is limited by what we can do with the current audio engine.  It's not our own engine.

In the future, we may have to upgrade to a brand new audio engine.  There's one we like, but it comes with its own set of drawbacks.

Resetting should re-initialize the audio output system.  At least it does on mine.

In fact, on my system, I can pull my USB headset out and plug it back it and the audio connection will not drop.

However, with others, it will drop.   Go figure.  Computers are like people.  They're all different.

In the meantime, I'd really investigate the privacy option on your headset.  

It's the first time I've ever heard of a headset with such an option.