Sign in to follow this  
outlaw2001it

You do not have permission (FS9...possibly FSX also)

Greetings,

Just found this out last night...thought it was a fluke. Tried to install new scenery into FS9, and received the following error: You do not have permission to install new files on this computer. Please have an administrator log on to complete the scenery installation. I have full Administrative rights, UAC turned off, and made another account that is Admin, and performed a full takeown in cmd.exe. Has anybody experienced this problem??? This is a bad thing, and I'm ready to go back to Windows 7 in a heartbeat...don't need the hastle from Microsoft. Dealt with them for too many years, and just to think everything was working so well. Good thing to find out now prior to the end of the 30 day free trial of Windows 10.

Take Care

J.R.

Greetings again,

Just got done chatting with Microsoft...told them the problem, and their response was "Don't see Flight Simulator 2004 supported in Windows 10". The person then gave me the link to the Microsoft Flight Simulator support forum, but it looks like it's all for FSX. Going to give this a few days, and attempt to fix this problem...if not Windows 7 it is.

Not a Happy Camper

J.R.

Greetings again,

Just got done chatting with Microsoft...told them the problem, and their response was "Don't see Flight Simulator 2004 supported in Windows 10". The person then gave me the link to the Microsoft Flight Simulator support forum, but it looks like it's all for FSX. Going to give this a few days, and attempt to fix this problem...if not Windows 7 it is.

Not a Happy Camper

J.R.

You do realise that Microsoft "support" is outsourced, and their employees barely speak English? You won't get anywhere if you call Microsoft for help, sorry.

Have you tried reinstalling FS9?

Reinstalled the other day. I have complete system backups from when I first installed Windows 10 (Macrium Reflect)...going to try a few other things before doing that. I really don't care if I go back to Windows 7, but I want to figure out exactly what is going on with this problem...because I've never seen it before.

Take Care

J.R.

Have it on a second hard drive...with all permissions!!! Going to work on it later on tonight, and try a few more things. Right now it's time for a Scotch, and relax. 

Thanks for the Support

J.R.

Greetings again,

I can install afcads/scenery into my addon scenery folder. However, any scenery that is installed in another place I can not manually put it into the scenery configuration. I can add textures from FSGenesis, and install programs (Ultimate traffic) without any problems (that's very good). Don't think I will be installing much scenery in the future...but just in case if I have to...i might be out of luck. Going back to my Scotch, and think some more about this. if anybody has any ideas...much appreciated.

Take Care

J.R.

Look at a default installation of FS9, FSX, or P3D, all these by default install in the Program Files folders.

When we set up the first account for Windows, we are a member of Admins, since we get access to options like Add Users, however we do not get Permissions to write to files in the Program Files folder. When the application installer runs, these usually elevate to full privileges just before the components and folders are written.

That's all fine, except that problems come when we install and run programs that want to modify files in those read-only Program Files folders.

The simple way to overcome that problem is to consider that logged on user accounts are members of the Users group: "Users(MyComputer\Users)".

We can add Permissions "Write" and "Modify" to the Users group for the folder and its subfolders, when we want Users to be able to Modify without special access accounts or full privileges.

Making another folder outside of Program Files inherits the Permissions of the User, not the Users group. So there appear no problems for the current user, but problems may arise for other accounts.

Rule of thumb: we simply add the Write and Modify permissions for the Users group before running any software intending to Modify those files.

Generally problems come from moving installations, taking ownership of folders, running as admin, making special accounts etc. Be confident that everything works great out of the box with Windows security. When apps put their modifiable stuff in a folder with Users group permissions, or have their installer set permissions on the intended folder, there is no customer intervention. If they don't, then we just add the permissions with our regular privileges, manually, once.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Just like other simmers...going back to Windows 7 in the morning. Not just because of this problem, but i get  better frame rates off of Windows 7 than I do on Windows 10...that's a major plus for me right there. If it ain't broke...don't fix it!!!

Take Care

J.R.

Greetings,

Went back to Windows 7 using Macrium Reflect. All is working!!! However, I may try to upgrade again to Windows 10 to see if I get the same error, or something different. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Take Care/Happy Flying

J.R.

Glad the image backup restored OK J.R. You'll probably still have to sort out the security inconsistencies for successful upgrade to 10. I've found no reduction in performance at all with Win10, it seems unfair to blame it for your problems.

MY problem just happened after I upgraded to Windows 10. I could not get new scenery to install...I didn't have Admin Privileges. I have zero security inconsistencies in Windows 7...I have full Admin control., and zero problems in FS9. 

J.R.

The plethora of weird security inconsistencies you suffered from the upgrade to Win10 suggests your current setup is incompatible with a successful upgrade. My post about proper permissions settings was in effort to help you sort things out.

Greetings,

Went back to Windows 7 using Macrium Reflect. All is working!!! However, I may try to upgrade again to Windows 10 to see if I get the same error, or something different. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Take Care/Happy Flying

J.R.

I use Macrium reflect, and if I ever to change to Windows 10 ( which I probably won't), and anything strange happens, I will roll my entire HD back to before the installation of W10. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Upgraded back to Windows 10...FS9 working except for the obvious errors most likely caused by NVIDIA drivers. No setting have changed...just upgraded. I full control of the computer as I did in Windows 7.

J.R.