Sign in to follow this  
phoenixphire

Virtual Cockpit Colors, is There a Mod?

I noticed while watching various youtube videos, that many of the cockpit textures appear much darker grey. I am using the NGX in FSX Steam and P3D (Main) and I noticed a significant variation in color. In my sim I see much more of grey/blue than in some of the videos I have seen. Is there a cockpit texture mod that I am not aware of? Is it my monitor or graphics card. I have 4096 textures enabled so I am at a loss as to why there is a difference. I have a Nvidia GTX 770 with a Benq 27 inch monitor. I really like the look on the videos compared to what I see in my sim. 

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

There is a user created mod that lets you change the colors to your preference. You won't find it here or in the AVSIM library but certain russian forums do have it.

I've never understood the need. Boeing don't give their airline customers a choice of panel colours. If you want to be realistic, and surely anyone buying PMDG sims does, stick with the original.

ki9cAAb.jpg

You cannot get the correct color from videos because the cameras react differently to color and the light compared to if you sat there in the cockpit looking through your eyes. David Lee

I noticed while watching various youtube videos

Here's your problem. See below:

You cannot get the correct color from videos because the cameras react differently to color and the light compared to if you sat there in the cockpit looking through your eyes. David Lee

This. Exactly this.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Mike,

I'll add my voice to what has been said regarding the fact that you cannot get the real color from youtube videos as the lighting conditions, camera sensitivity and you own monitor rendition are all factors affecting what you're seeing. However and if you're using P3D and enabling HDR, there is a way of altering the panel color (darkening it to your liking). Just use the search function of the forum using the keyword HDR and you'll find an interesting thread about this. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Fouad Chakib

This is good info, thanks. I suspected that it was something like what is being rendered on YouTube was different to what I was seeing on my monitor. Some of these videos come from well known online personalities like FrooglePete and Matt Davies, but I don't see them using a sketchy mod. I would not mess with mods on any of the PMDG products.   

Mike Keigley

I thought that I would make some observations regarding this issue. I recently reinstalled P3D and the NGX and I noticed a significant change in the color of both the NGX and the 777 panels. I am not sure why that is, but the textures looked much darker than they did before. I also enabled HDR and found that the textures looked remarkably better. Additionally, I boosted the texture resolution to 4096x4096 which made a huge difference in the over realism.  The textures before looked very cartoonish and the cockpit looked way too blue. I am happy with the result. Thanks to those who helped. 

Mike Keigley