Sign in to follow this  
doublebubble

Laptop to run P3D

Just wondering what you guy's think of this laptop to run P3D? I need to use a laptop because I live on a yacht and travel a lot so space and mobility is a must. I am currently using an Asus G74S laptop that has performed really well but an upgrade is in store, anyone's thoughts would be appreciated.

MSI

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 processor 5700HQ (Quad Core 2.7 GHz - 3.5 GHz - 6MB L3 Cache)

Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz (32GB Max)
Hard Drive: 256GB Super-RAID (2*128GB M.2 SSDs) + 1TB HDD (7200RPM)
Display: 17.3" Widescreen Full HD G-Sync LED (1920x1080)
Graphics: Nvidia® GeForce GTX980M 8GB GDDR5 (HDMI & 2x miniDisplayPort)
Optical Drive: Super Multi DVD Writer
Wireless: 802.11ac & Bluetooth 4.0
Lan: 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
Also Includes: 720p HD Webcam, Illuminated SteelSeries Keyboard, 9 Cell (83Wh) Lithium-Ion battery, 3-in-1 Card Reader & 6xUSB3.0 Ports
Warranty: 14 Day DOA period with PLE / 2 Year limited international parts and labour warranty, includes complimentary courier pick-up and return service

Cheers Rod.

Just wondering what you guy's think of this laptop to run P3D? I need to use a laptop because I live on a yacht and travel a lot so space and mobility is a must. I am currently using an Asus G74S laptop that has performed really well but an upgrade is in store, anyone's thoughts would be appreciated.

Ah, so you dove in to buy "the beast".  I gave that a good look when I was shopping for a new, more powerful gaming laptop, but I settled for Origin.  Origin touted their new laptops with desktop processors and after a slew of reviews, both consumer and professional, this seemed to be a better choice for me.

I have somewhat similar specs to yours, but I opted for the desktop processor in my laptop, which has made a world of difference for me.  Coupled with the same GTX980 MXM card, it all functions a little differently, but in a good way.  My thermal temps are actually quite low for running either FSX or P3D (I believe better in P3D).  I'd say that the specs for your laptop are minimum to take advantage of more advanced settings in P3D, meaning that you can bump up the sliders and still have good stability.

Depending on what add-ons you intend to install, will directly relate to either a good or frustrating experience on this laptop.  My buddy Louis gave me some excellent pointers for installing and running P3D and I stand by his claims and assistance.  When he states that it should do well, he's right.  If you want better than "well", you may want to look at something a little more out of the ordinary. 

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Well thanks guy's that's an encouraging start, I did look at the Origin Eon 17-S but it seemed a little difficult getting one here in Australia so the MSI seemed like it might go ok as I can get it here, would you have any other options that I may want to consider in a laptop range?

Cheers Rod.

Well thanks guy's that's an encouraging start, I did look at the Origin Eon 17-S but it seemed a little difficult getting one here in Australia so the MSI seemed like it might go ok as I can get it here, would you have any other options that I may want to consider in a laptop range?

Cheers Rod.

Feel free to contact Origin's support team.  They are very helpful and if you think it may be difficult getting the computer shipped to Australia, give them a call.

In my most personal and humble opinion (as well as previous experience), to use a laptop for FSX or P3D, you need desktop power.  Procuring a laptop that has a desktop processor, such as the awesome i7-4790k, can handle the workload just fine.  Couple that with the GTX-980 or even the GTX-970, and you'll be good to go.  16Gb of RAM as a minimum is a good start and an all SSD setup just adds to the power of the laptop. 

What I suggested for hardware will give you a VERY good system to run either sim, although using P3D will benefit you much more...again, just my personal opinion based on experience and with a little help from the community.

-Jim

UPDATE:

Almost forgot, if you CAN get an Origin shipped to you, go for the EON-17X over the S.  Despite claims from folks about the laptop running crazy hot temps after overclocking (which Origin does do as a service for anyone purchasing a K model processor), I have yet to have any thermal issues or processor throttling.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

That should run it great.  I run P3D/FSXSE/Xplane10 on my MSI GS60 with the i7 4710HQ, which is the previous Haswell generation of the CPU you listed (Broadwell version).  I'm assuming what you listed is the GT72, which will stay nice and cool to boot, great cooling system.  I also have the slower 970m GPU compared to the top of the line 980m yours will have.

You could go with a desktop cpu based Clevo model which the Origin is based on, but my CPU rarely passes 30-40% usage in any of the sims, so not sure you'd see much real world benefit. Downside would be much worse battery life with the desktop CPU if that matters.

One thing you'll love is the G-Sync feature on that laptop, which totally eliminates screen tearing.  It's a must have feature on my next laptop purchase.

Good luck with your purchase, enjoy!

Yeh Jim the EON17-X is the one I'm enquiring about as we speak, the MSI is a tad cheaper and will definately do the job but ha if ya gonna spend $3500 on a laptop you may as well spend $4500 and get what you really want as it's my birthday this week so why not treat yourself.

Cheers Rod. 

That should run it great.  I run P3D/FSXSE/Xplane10 on my MSI GS60 with the i7 4710HQ, which is the previous Haswell generation of the CPU you listed (Broadwell version).  I'm assuming what you listed is the GT72, which will stay nice and cool to boot, great cooling system.  I also have the slower 970m GPU compared to the top of the line 980m yours will have.

You could go with a desktop cpu based Clevo model which the Origin is based on, but my CPU rarely passes 30-40% usage in any of the sims, so not sure you'd see much real world benefit. Downside would be much worse battery life with the desktop CPU if that matters.

One thing you'll love is the G-Sync feature on that laptop, which totally eliminates screen tearing.  It's a must have feature on my next laptop purchase.

Good luck with your purchase, enjoy!

This is interesting as I am also looking to buy a new laptop to run my flight simulators.  It would be an MSI GT72 with the 5700HQ and the 970M.  I was wondering what sort of frame rates you get on your system with P3D and FSXSE, what settings you use on those sims, and whether you use complex aircraft (eg PMDG) and scenery?

Also, do you run IL2 Cliffs of Dover or Battle of Stalingrad?

Cheers,

Justin

I cant tell you Justin as I have just started to look at a new lappy and have just found out that Origin warehouse is actually only 15mins away from where our marina is and so is the MSI store so I'll be throughly checking them both out MSI GT72 and the EON17-X as I've just had a convo with the guy at Origin, maybe Louis or Jim could fill you in more on that and yes I do use PMDG NGX & T7 all Orbx scenery with the usual add on's to complete the experience, I'm excited :dance:

Cheers Rod.