Sign in to follow this  
twister1853

Photo' Scenery not loading - is it CTD?

Hi,

Up to now, I have used FSX with photo'scenery addons for the UK (England, Scotland & Wales) satisfactorily.  Recently, due to an un-related problem, I've had to completely uninstall FSX and all addons associated with it.

I've now reinstalled FSX and using the photo' scenery DVD's, have started to reinstall my VFR Photo' Scenery from PlaySims (HorizonSimulation). All the scenery for England & Wales installed correctly but the Scotland scenery will not install. I get the following errors:

VFR GenerationX-Volume5: Orkney&Shetland Isles setup ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified.

or

Installer information. There is a problem with this windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

Is this problem classed as a CTD?  My OS is Win.8.1.

Thanks.

Ray

No.  You are having issues with your Windows Installer.  Make sure you right click the setup program on the DVD and select run as Administrator.  I use MSE V2 stuff but leave the installs on my hard drives whenever I reinstall Windows or FSX.  After FSX is installed, I'll go to the scenery library (or SceneryConfigEditor) and reconnect the scenery.  If you removed it, then of course you will have to reinstall.  But maybe, for the future, leave the scenery installed.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I've now right clicked to run as Administrator but part way through, the installation stalls, with the top label on the dialog showing "Setup Wizard not responding".  Clicking the label gives the choice "close the program" or "wait for the program to respond".  Wait does not continue the installation.  Why would the setup stop responding?

Scan your system for corrupt or missing files - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

If no corrupt or missing files, run Windows in Safe mode and try installing again - http://www.7tutorials.com/5-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-8-windows-81

You should also make sure no remnants of the program was installed.  If there is a VFR Generation X folder, delete it.  Then run a registry cleaner like CCleaner - http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download. 

Another issue might be a scratched or dirty DVD.  Make sure it is clean and free of scratches.  Thumb prints containing oils may stop the installation program from reading your DVD correctly.  Make sure you use a DVD cleaner.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi

Running Windows Resource Protection as suggested, has found corrupt system files.  Since replacing these files is beyond me, I had others look at the problem and they told me that they would leave the corrupt files and do a 'bit transfer' from the DVD to a hard drive and then run the package from this hard drive.  This has been done and the scenery is now installed.  I've tried installing three further photo' sceneries: one installed OK, the second again has the "wizard installation not responding" message and the third just stopped installing.  For the second one I can arrange another 'bit transfer'.  With the third DVD installation, I could not cancel the attempt and had to shut down the PC.  On restarting I deleted the file from the first attempt with this third DVD and on trying again to install, I got the message that the scenery was already installed.  I could not find what is meant by this installation: it did not appear in Programs. Where might I look for this in Windows8.1?  Thanks.

Ray

On restarting I deleted the file from the first attempt with this third DVD and on trying again to install, I got the message that the scenery was already installed. I could not find what is meant by this installation: it did not appear in Programs. Where might I look for this in Windows8.1? Thanks.

You did not uninstall the scenery properly (using the Add/Remove Program).  You deleted the file from the first attempt.  The Windows Registry shows that the product is installed.  That's what the DVD will look at first when it installs something, the Windows Registry.

Only way to fix is to download and run a registry cleaner like Advanced System Care - http://www.iobit.com/en/advancedsystemcarefree.php

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi

I understand, and thanks for the info' and link to the registry cleaner.  One thing though, does a program that is being loaded from a DVD appear in the list of programs in "Programs and Features" while it is being loaded from a DVD and should it have been there ion my case?  I don't recall seeing it (I think!) in the list before I deleted what had been loaded before the freeze.

Kind regards.

Ray

Whenever a program is installed, the only way to remove it is via the Add/Remove program OR reinserting the DVD and selecting the uninstall feature.  This happens 99% of the time but every so often a program will not show an installation.  For instance, today, I was told to remove the Carenado Phenom 300 from my system before installing the updated version.  I had installed the program twice, once for FSX and once for P3D.  In the Add/Remove programs, I was able to find the uninstall for the instance I installed it into P3D but not for FSX and I had to go in and manually remove the files from FSX/SimObjects, Gauges, and the Carenado folder.  I then ran Advanced System Care to remove the registry entries and then installed the update.  Developers are supposed to tell the program to put an entry in the Add/Remove Programs.  Sometimes they don't tick the box or the program is so old, it doesn't understand Add/Remove Programs.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Thanks for the explanation.  I've downloaded AvancedSystemCare8 and I've looked in

c:\Program Files(X86)\IObit\AdvancedSystemCare8

and I see the file

Suc11_RegistryCleaner.exe

Do I run this to clean the registry?

Thanks.

Ray

Thanks for the explanation.  I've downloaded AvancedSystemCare8 and I've looked in

c:\Program Files(X86)\IObit\AdvancedSystemCare8

and I see the file

Suc11_RegistryCleaner.exe

Do I run this to clean the registry?

Thanks.

Ray

No.  Definitely, 100% positive.  Do not. There should be an icon on your desktop that says "Advanced SystemCare".  Click on that and tick the Registry Cleaner box.  Make sure nothing else is ticked unless you want to clean some other things on your computer.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi.  I immensely grateful for the intertest shown on my problem and many, many thanks for the warning.  I would not (I think !!) have taken this route, since I am quite unskilled in all this.  I downloaded the free version of AdvancedSystemCare8 and clicked on the icon on the desktop and selected a 'registry fix' but it did not help.  So I purchased the Pro version and ran this again.  Unfortunately again,when I try to install the scenery, I still get the message that it is already installed. So where is it?  Very frustating.  The scenery is the excellent Mailsoft's Switzerland X Pro and I would dearly like to have it installed again. I've have browsed for info' on uninstalling this scenery and Avanced Uninstaller Pro shows that it is not really a straight forward process.  Even if this gets sorted, there is still the System corrupt files to deal with.  I'm slowly getting out of my depth I'm afraid.

Ray

Some of the later PlayHorizon photoscenery DVD installers (in other words, the VFR Scotland scenery packages) were somewhat "dodgy". I remember VFR5 Orkneys & Shetland Isles having a minor issue right at the end of the installation process that effectively reversed what it had just done! The installer for VFR Volume 7 Central Scotland is also faulty, with at least two of the DVDs stalling during the installation process. In fact, when I first purchased this product, it took no less than 55 minutes each to install the data from two of the DVDs (and there are a total of five of them). If PlaySims had stuck with the original tried and tested installer (and the latter was part of the problem, since I have been told that they basically dismissed the old Horizon beta testers when they took over production of the photoscenery), it is highly likely that there would have been no issues whatsoever.

I now have the contents of the VFR7 package backed up on my second hard disk, since the installation process is much quicker (and more reliable) from there.

EDIT: If anyone associated with PlaySims is reading these words (and assuming that you can forgive me in the time it takes to flick your eyes from the first paragraph to this one).......we REALLY could do with a decent Northern Ireland photoscenery package. The "other" one is garbage.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thanks to Christopher, this is probably the solution.  Copy the contents of the DVD to your HDD and then run the installation process from there.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

OK thanks - copying to a HDD will be doable for the Playsims Photo' Scenery Scotland Central (I have been able to install North and South from the DVD's although the scenery is a bit hazy.  I wonder is this due to installing from the DVD's?).

I still need to clean " Mailsoft - Switzerland Professional X" completely from my PC before installing from one of my HDD's.  What's the view on using a package such as Advanced Uninstaller Pro for this purpose?

Ray

What's the view on using a package such as Advanced Uninstaller Pro for this purpose?

There's one included with the Advanced SystemCare package too, IObit Uninstaller.  It uninstalls then looks for remnants of anything leftover.  Any of them should work great.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM