Sign in to follow this  
twister1853

Photo' Scenery not loading - is it CTD?

Hi

I've run a scan of the OS as suggested above, using https://support.micr...en-us/kb/929833.  It has found that there are some corrupt files in the OS 8.1 of the PC and they would need to be replaced manually.  I asked for expert help locally and the advice was to have the OS reinstalled.  This I have had done and it has cured the problem with reading DVD's.

Unfortunately, this reinstall of the OS removed a number of programs, including FSX.  I have reinstalled FSX but when trying to run FSX the first time, I got a message that the correct version of DirectX was needed. So I installed DirectX and tried to run FSX again but this time I got the error:

ERROR CODE 8-c0000006

The event viewer shows Faulting Module Path D:\FSX\Simprop.dll

What might I do to correct this error?

Thanks.

Ray

The event viewer shows Faulting Module Path D:\FSX\Simprop.dll
What might I do to correct this error?

This is what the AVSIM CTD Guide states:

Simprop.dll

• Most likely a problem with the installation of Acceleration.  Try uninstalling Acceleration (go to Add/Remove Programs; look for FSX and click on uninstall.  It will only uninstall Acceleration.  FSX will still be there).  Run FSX once and see if this fixed the program.  If so, reinstall Acceleration with Admin privileges.  Run FSX again to make sure the problem is fixed. 

If problem not fixed -

• Remove your FSX or P3D.cfg and let the configuration rebuild. 
  • If this does not fix the problem, rename your logbook.bin in the My Documents/Flight Simulator X Files folder and try running FSX again.  If that works, then you might want to download from the AVSIM Library a program called FSX Logbook Recovery 1.1 and try to repair the one you renamed.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi again,

I did not try to install Acceleration after this latest attempt at reinstalling FSX.  I have though, now tried to install Acceleration but get the message "Flight Simulation  must be activated before you can install FSX:Acceleration.  Activate FSX and then run Setup again".  Although FSX was lost at the reinstallation of the OS, could Acceleration still be installed? How can I check for this?  If not, then I cannot see how to use the suggestions by the AVSIM CTD Guide.

Thanks.

Ray 

Although FSX was lost at the reinstallation of the OS

If you reinstalled the OS, then everything about Acceleration is lost as there are no registry entries showing it was installed.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

OK thanks, I see.

There is one thing I must check before going further. Before reinstalling the OS, a backup was made of some OLD DATA.  This is held in a folder on the Desktop called "Old Account".  In this folder there is a 'Documents' folder containing  'Flight Simulator X Files'.  Now the new reinstalled OS setup has also got a folder called 'Documents' outside the Desktop but this does not contain any 'Flight Simulator X Files'.  Could this possibly mean that when I reinstalled FSX, the 'Flight Simulator X Files' went to the 'Documents' folder in the 'Old Account' folder and if so, should I have deleted the 'Flight Simulator Files' folder held in the 'Old Documents' folder first before reinstalling FSX?

Sorry if this sounds a bit contorted.

Thanks again.

Ray

OK thanks, I see.

There is one thing I must check before going further. Before reinstalling the OS, a backup was made of some OLD DATA.  This is held in a folder on the Desktop called "Old Account".  In this folder there is a 'Documents' folder containing  'Flight Simulator X Files'.  Now the new reinstalled OS setup has also got a folder called 'Documents' outside the Desktop but this does not contain any 'Flight Simulator X Files'.  Could this possibly mean that when I reinstalled FSX, the 'Flight Simulator X Files' went to the 'Documents' folder in the 'Old Account' folder and if so, should I have deleted the 'Flight Simulator Files' folder held in the 'Old Documents' folder first before reinstalling FSX?

Sorry if this sounds a bit contorted.

Thanks again.

Ray

Whenever you reinstall Windows, Windows will back up most of your personal stuff like your Documents folder to a folder called "Old Account".  You will also see that they backed up C:\Users folder, so, for instance your old installation of FSX will be there with your fsx.cfg, dll.xml folders, etc.  After I reinstall Windows I usually find the MyDocuments folder and move all my personal stuff in the Old Accounts folder to the new installation.  I also look for my Pictures folder and move that to the new installation.  I keep the Old Account documents on another HDD for awhile just in case I might need something else. 

You do not want to return your old registry to the new installation.  You will have tons of problems if you do and it will result in another reinstall.  Your registry files are located in C:\Windows\Registry32\config but do not mess with them.  EDIT:  Should be C:\Windows\System32\config.

You need to reinstall FSX/Acceleration so the proper keys in the registry are made.  You will also have to reactivate fsx and acceleration.  Once you do that, Microsoft enters information to show your copies of FSX/Acceleration have been activated.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Edited by Jim Young
To edit wrong info

Submit News to AVSIM

Thanks for the prompt post. 

Could I have advice on the 3 questions in 2, 3 and 4 below:

1.   I have reinstalled FSX and tried to run FSX without Acceleration but got the "Simprop.dll" error I mentioned above.

2.   I have now tried to reinstalled Acceleration but get the message "Flight Simulation must be activated before you can install FSX:Acceleration.       How do I reactivate FSX ?

3.   I see Flight Simulation X Files in the Old Documents.  Should I have deleted these before I reinstalled FSX?

4.   In the new OS I have looked in C:\Windows and there is no "Registry32\config".  Should there be?

The help is much appreciated.

Ray

1. I have reinstalled FSX and tried to run FSX without Acceleration but got the "Simprop.dll" error I mentioned above.

Are you using the old logbook.bin you had in a prior installation?  Are you trying to run fsx using the old fsx.cfg?  If you reinstalled Windows and then reinstalled FSX, FSX should start up without any problems and you will then be asked to activate.  You should never use your old installation files until fsx is activated and you run it at least once.

The information I got for the simprop.dll error was collected by going around the Internet and searching for solutions to this error.  I then took all of the solutions provided by others and placed them in the AVSIM CTD Guide.  So, the simprop.dll error solutions are not mine.  They are from the community around the Internet.  I have absolutely no idea what the simprop.dll does in FSX.  But, using logic (like Dr. Spock), one of the solutions is replacing the logbook.bin or repairing it.  I then assume you might have moved your Documents folder you had in an old installation of Windows over to the new installation.  This folder contains the logbook.bin in the Flight Simulation X Files folder in the Documents folder.  Since moving the fsx.cfg to another folder and then restarting FSX fixes the simprop.dll error for many, I'm thinking you might have moved the fsx.cfg folder from the old installation over to the new installation and this is causing the error.

2. I have now tried to reinstalled Acceleration but get the message "Flight Simulation must be activated before you can install FSX:Acceleration. How do I reactivate FSX ?

Try the fix at the following link - https://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/FlightSimulatorXActivationPatch.aspx

3. I see Flight Simulation X Files in the Old Documents. Should I have deleted these before I reinstalled FSX?

Your "Old Douments" folder is not seen by FSX.  In order for anything relating to FSX to be seen and read, it has to be in one of the folders Microsoft uses for the installation of FSX.

4. In the new OS I have looked in C:\Windows and there is no "Registry32\config". Should there be?

I apologize.  A typo.  It should read c:\Windows\System32\config.  There will be nothing in this folder that will state "Registry".  Your registry is in several different folders within this directory.

Think you are slowly getting there.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi

I cannot answer the 2 questions in the first 2 sentences since I do not know what Logbook.BIN is (or means) or if trying to run FSX uses an old fsx.cfg.  All I know is what is in the 3rd sentence i.e. I have had Windows reinstalled and then I reinstalled FSX from the DVD but at start up I immediately got the Simprop.dll message and was not asked to activate.

Regarding Logbook.BIN :

1.   if I look in the backup data I see "Desktop>Old Account>Documents>Flight Simulator X Files" and there is Logbook.BIN indeed

2.   with the new OS if I look in "C:>Users>Raymond>Documents" I do not see "Flight Simulator X Files" and hence no Logbook.BIN and I cannot therefore rename Logbook.BIN as suggested in the guide.  Should not reinstalling FSX create a new Flight Simulator X folder with Logbook.BIN therein?

I am still determined but am of for a few days.

Thanks.

Ray

2. with the new OS if I look in "C:>Users>Raymond>Documents" I do not see "Flight Simulator X Files" and hence no Logbook.BIN and I cannot therefore rename Logbook.BIN as suggested in the guide. Should not reinstalling FSX create a new Flight Simulator X folder with Logbook.BIN therein?

There should be NO Flight Simulator X Files folder in the Documents folder until you start up FSX.  You flight plans will be in this folder along with the logbook.bin.  The logbook.bin will not be created until you start up FSX.  If you want, you can move the folder from your old account to the new Documents folder.  The logbook.bin sometimes gets corrupted.  It contains a log of every flight you have taken since installation of fsx.  I thought, in my comments earlier, you had moved the logbook.bin from your old accounts folder and it might have been corrupted.  But, since you say it is not there, then I was wrong to think the logbook was stopping fsx from starting up.

Here's a guide for installing FSX - http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Thanks for the toleration!

I understand - NO Flight Simulator X Files folder in the Documents folder until I start up FSX and consequently no Logbook.BIN file exists until this start up happens.

I am still left with the situation that

1) I have installed FSX in the D drive,

2) I see all the folders and files listed in FSX, but

3) I cannot start up FSX by clicking on the fsx.exe file.  I get a Product Activation Error (ERROR CODE: 8-c0000006) but I have never been given the option to Activate FSX.

As I said above, when I tried to install Acceleration, I got the message "Flight Simulation must be activated before you can install FSX:Acceleration".  So I am back to the question, how do I activate FSX if I have never been given the option?

The download link given https://www.microsof...ationPatch.aspx  

I see installs Service Pack 2 (assuming Service Pack 1 already installed).  Would these Packs be installed before Activation of FSX?

Complete hard disk reformat and reinstallation? A rather drastic solution, but this would have driven me crazy long before now!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I get a Product Activation Error (ERROR CODE: 8-c0000006) but I have never been given the option to Activate FSX.

Try this link - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/960481. A C0000006 error is a networking or network connectivity error. Specifically, a C0000006 error is an in-page I/O error. This error occurs when an application loses its underlying network connectivity. So, are you connected to the Internet when you start up FSX?  Make sure any anti-virus program is turned off as this could prevent the connection to the Internet.  Christopher Low above may have the final solution.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi

My setup is:

OS on C drive,

FSX on D drive

Scenery on E drive

With the suggestion of re-formatting, which of the drives would need re-formatting?

Hi

The Microsoft link given

https://support.micr...en-us/kb/960481

suggests the following when trying to resolve a 'Product Activation Error':

Product Activation Error: An error occurred while attempting to activate the product. The problem may be due to an incomplete installation of the application. Reinstalling the application may resolve the problem. Otherwise, please contact product support for assistance.

So, should I should try the reinstallation of FSX?  If so, is it sufficient to solely uninstall FSX from the list of Programs in Control Panel?

Thanks again for sticking with me!

Ray