Sign in to follow this  
twister1853

Photo' Scenery not loading - is it CTD?

If so, is it sufficient to solely uninstall FSX from the list of Programs in Control Panel?

No.  That would not be sufficient.  Here's a excellent guide for uninstalling/reinstalling - http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

OK - I'll go for an uninstall/reinstall of FSX. 

There a couple of points I need help with first:

1)   to remove FSX, the AVSIM Guide directs one to "Programs & Features" where FSX can be uninstalled.   Any addons in "Programs & Features" including aircraft, scenery and utilities such as weather, must also be removed.   I see none of these addons in "Programs & Features". In the folder FSX>SimObjects>Airplanes, I do though see lots of aircraft.  Does uninstalling FSX remove these aircraft?  

2)  my OS is in the C drive, FSX is in the D drive and all my Photo' Scenery folders are in the E drive.  Is it really necessary to remove these Photo' Scenery folders (there are a lot of them !)?

Thanks again.

Ray

1) to remove FSX, the AVSIM Guide directs one to "Programs & Features" where FSX can be uninstalled. Any addons in "Programs & Features" including aircraft, scenery and utilities such as weather, must also be removed. I see none of these addons in "Programs & Features". In the folder FSX>SimObjects>Airplanes, I do though see lots of aircraft. Does uninstalling FSX remove these aircraft?

It is best to uninstall/reinstall all of your addon's.  However, photoscenery can remain installed as it is not installed with FSX and in separate folders.  You'll have to relink the photoscenery once you have reinstalled FSX.  If you try to reinstall FSX without uninstalling the aircraft and airport addon's, like fsdt, you will have major issues when trying to reinstall those addons after you get FSX up and running again.  I have done several reinstalls of FSX and, if I had to reinstall all my photoscenery, it would be months to reinstall everything.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hello

I appear to have successsfully uninstalled/reinstalled FSX (& Acceleration).  Again, many thanks for staying with me.  I now need to add the photo' scenery.  You say: You'll have to relink the photoscenery once you have reinstalled FSX.

Can I check which photo' scenery folders folders are used in adding the scenery. 

With FSX in the D drive. A typical photo' scenery is located in

E:>VFR-GenX-2.0>Volume1

Volume1 folder contains: area1 folder, area2 folder & area3 folder

Each area folder contains 4 scenery folders for night, mesh & 2 photo'

This gives 12 scenery folders.  Does each scenery folder have to be individually added?

Ray

Ray,

Are you just referring to England & Wales? If so, then each of my volumes has three sets of three entries in the Scenery Menu.....

VFR GenX Vol3 Area 3 1.2m photoscenery

VFR GenX Vol3 Area 3 4.8m mesh

VFR GenX Vol3 Area 3 2.4m photoscenery

VFR GenX Vol3 Area 2 1.2m photoscenery

VFR GenX Vol3 Area 2 4.8m mesh

VFR GenX Vol3 Area 2 2.4m photoscenery

VFR GenX Vol3 Area 1 1.2m photoscenery

VFR GenX Vol3 Area 1 4.8m mesh

VFR GenX Vol3 Area 1 2.4m photoscenery

This is followed by the same for Volume 2 and Volume 1 (in that order). Please note that I do not have the night scenery installed, but if you do, then you would need an additional entry for each area of each volume. You will also need to include additional entries if you have the PlayHorizon version 3 updates (if not, then you don't need to worry about this).

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Christopher,

Yes - England, Wales, Scotland & Ireland.

I have Horizon VFR Gen-X-2.0 Volumes 1 to 10 in my E drive and after uninstalling/reinstalling FSX (& Acceleration), I now need to add them to the scenery in FSX, which is on the D drive.  I see typically 3 areas per volume and in each area there are 4 entries, i.e. 1.2m Photo, 2.4m Photo, 2.4m Night and 4.8m Mesh.  Each entry has a scenery folder.  This gives 12 scenery folders per volume.

Since I lack confidence in all this, my question is, do I have to select each of the 12 scenery folders separately when adding the scenery to FSX Scenery?

Thanks.

Ray

You are correct, Ray. I have nine separate entries per volume for England & Wales (because I do not have the night scenery installed). Just make sure that they are arranged in the order that I have displayed above. The two volumes that cover the Republic of Ireland are slightly different, so I will need to check that later on, and get back to you.

By the way, Scotland is also worth getting!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Christopher: does it matter the order in which these scenery folders are added? My original installation of the sceneries shows the order as 

1.2m Photo

2.4m Night

2.4m Photo

4.8m Mesh

I also have all the Scottish Sceneries but will need to load Ireland from the DVD's.

Thanks.

Ray

Hi Christopher: I seem to have got the England, Scotland & Wales VFR Scenery loaded back into FSX.  There is one feature that I am unclear about:

in the Scotland Volumes, I see the scenery that I have added to the FSX Scenery Library.  There are also other folders such as Airports in Volumes 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 which I persume would have also been loaded if I had used the DVD's.  Do I also add these to the FSX Scenery Library as I have done for the relevent scenery?

Ray

Ray,

Yes, I think that the AIRPORTS folders in the Scotland volumes have their own Scenery Menu entries. They are the lowest priority for each volume on my PC. I have these disabled because I use Scotflight.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Ray,

Are you saying that you have already purchased the Scotflight DVD (and can't locate it), or that the DVD is not available to purchase? If it's the latter, then "Scotflight for photoscenery" can be purchased and downloaded direct from the Scotflight website.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png