Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

UK2000 airports constant texture flickering - is this a known problem?

Hi guys,

This issue is driving me mad, I have fixed most issues after switching DX10 but this alludes me.  I have copied my post from the UK2000 forum. 

I recently took the plunge and installed Steve's DX10 fixer. Whilst I was a little apprehensive to say the least I have overcome most issues and got a really stable build of FSX. One issue I can't shake is this, I have UK2000 Manchester and Heathrow airports installed. In DX9 everything was fine, since the switch both airports constantly flicker (that's the best way I can describe it). it seems all the textures have this weird flicker and it's really annoying. I've browsed the UK2000 forums but can't see a mention. I also can't seem to confirm if the airports should actually work in DX10. One thing I haven't done yet is a reinstall of both airports.

Gary Summons says - what your seeing is Z-Buffering issues where one poly is close to another, FSX DX10 preview has a lower tolerance for gaps between polygons

I do a lot of flying in the UK and would buy more UK2000 scenery but this issue is holding me back.  The other important thing to mention is the textures don't start flickering until about 1000FT, so when I'm on the ground in the airport everything is absolutely fine.  I can post a YouTube video if it helps to explain what I'm seeing.  I don't want to go back to DX9!

I would appreciate any advice you can give.

Cheers
Sid

Thomas Derbyshire

Have you tested in DX9?     I get this at some Uk2000 airports but not others. 

Just switch quickly with the Dx10 Controller DX Setting.

Above 1000-1200 ft the scenery starts breaking up as the underlying scenery breaks through.  Its the same in DX9 for me  - the only difference is that when paused it still flickers in DX10 but not in DX9 so when testing make sure not to be paused.

If you look on the UK2000 forums  there is a post titled Flashing Airports on page 4 by Daniel Watson from 2012 about it  most of the posters in that thread were using DX9.

So I don't think its a DX10 issue!

Some of them flicker in DX9 and DX10 for me as well, it's not a DX10 issue

Hi

I bought the uk2000 scenery before the switch to dx9 and dont recall it being a problem. Admittedly i havent switched back to dx9 since the switch to double check that. Assuming the problem is only happening in dx10 is there anything I can do to alleviate the problem?

Cheers

Sid

Thomas Derbyshire

Well  given that I have actually tested it (today) and I see exactly the effect  you describe at about 1000ft AGL (where the grid changes) in both DX9 and DX10  I assume that it isn't a Dx10 issue and that there is nothing you can do about it.

Thanks Steve.

I am obviously completely wrong then!  I searched for the flashing airports thread on the UK2000 forums last night as suggested.  One guy said he downgraded his NVIDIA driver and fiddled with the SuperSampling options.  One thing I did change after the upgrade to DX10 was my profile in NVIDIA inspector after following the DX10 How to guide.  I never used to use the Supersampling option in DX9 and had AA turned off in FSX with Trilinear set so maybe this has something do with it?  I also noticed on the options config for MAN EGCC there is the option to use "FSX coded polygons".  So what I did was disable this option and set my supersampling to 2x and it noticeably reduced the affect.  The terminal buildings still flicker but the taxiways and runaways don't.  I then tested EGLL after disabling "FSX coded polygons" and nothing really flickered at all!  Some progress at least.  I then went and bought Birmingham EGBB using the same settings and that seemed to be unaffected as well.

Soooo I'm just left with some flickering at EGCC around the terminal buildings and jetways which I can live with I guess.  Thanks for your help!

Thomas Derbyshire

Thanks Steve.

I am obviously completely wrong then!  I searched for the flashing airports thread on the UK2000 forums last night as suggested.  One guy said he downgraded his NVIDIA driver and fiddled with the SuperSampling options.  One thing I did change after the upgrade to DX10 was my profile in NVIDIA inspector after following the DX10 How to guide.  I never used to use the Supersampling option in DX9 and had AA turned off in FSX with Trilinear set so maybe this has something do with it?  I also noticed on the options config for MAN EGCC there is the option to use "FSX coded polygons".  So what I did was disable this option and set my supersampling to 2x and it noticeably reduced the affect.  The terminal buildings still flicker but the taxiways and runaways don't.  I then tested EGLL after disabling "FSX coded polygons" and nothing really flickered at all!  Some progress at least.  I then went and bought Birmingham EGBB using the same settings and that seemed to be unaffected as well.

Soooo I'm just left with some flickering at EGCC around the terminal buildings and jetways which I can live with I guess.  Thanks for your help!

Thomas,

I get the same issue with EGCC in P3D.  I don't think much of it anymore as it isn't detrimental to my flying.  As long as the airport is there and the taxiways and runways show up, I'm a happy camper.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

If you go into the uk configurator tool it gives you the option to change the ground scenery to reduce flickering. Either default photo or fsx I think it is called, am at the office so I cannot give you the exact name. Also make sure you have the latest version by logging into your account on the site and checking the version number of the scenery. I also use only dx9 currently (am debating to move over to dx10) and get the flickering too