Sign in to follow this  
themaster402

FSX Performance is Outrageous despite mid-class GPU and CPU

Well, I did a system restore and all is fair and well. Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I'll use them for my next PC build, whenever that might be :P

Out of curiosity. Are you using FSX-SE or FSX boxed?

Your thread was opened under FSX-SE, but is unclear from your description which version you are running.

There was a fierce debate about this, however in my personal case switching to FSX-SE brought up a significant performance improvement using the same addons and the same configurations as before. Also, make sure you perform a regular cooler maintenance (the amount of dust and dirt than can build up on a laptop's fan in less than one year is unreal).

I started out with FSX boxed and then when the Steam Edition rolled out, I bought it for a song (more like $5.00) and after that, I did have noticeable improvement.  Coupled with DX10, she ran pretty good, but I'm not sure if I would call it significant.  I also ran FSX:SE through my current laptop before switching over to P3D and I have to say that with it overclocked, I don't think I ever got the fan to spin up to a ridiculous speeds, but it did maintain decent frames.  Stability with PMDG was another matter though as it would occasionally crash out and that was just due to settings (speaking about FSX:SE not P3D).

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Guest JustanotherPilot

I replaced FSX with FSX:SE on my laptop, a big improvement on performance, My laptop has a i7-4200U cpu. I can manage the 737ngx, ASN, Rex and fs2crew with pleasing results.

I replaced FSX with FSX:SE on my laptop, a big improvement on performance, My laptop has a i7-4200U cpu. I can manage the 737ngx, ASN, Rex and fs2crew with pleasing results.

Same here. I read several reports from other laptop users who happen to agree about this. Maybe the performance increase is more noticeable for us than for desktop users.

Same here. I read several reports from other laptop users who happen to agree about this. Maybe the performance increase is more noticeable for us than for desktop users.

And how about those sliders?  Maxed out or conservative?  That can make all the difference too.

-Jim

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

@OP

Do you have one of the laptops that have an integrated graphics card *and* a discrete graphics card? You know the ones that switch between low power consumption/heat integrated graphics for basic tasks and then switch in the high power/heat discrete card for games?

If so you might want to check FSX is actually running on the discrete card and not the integrated. I've had this before on my laptop when the Nvidia software failed to recognise FSX as requiring the discrete card and would start it using the integrated card.... at 5fps. You can use the Nvidia settings in the Control Panel to force FSX (or any other application) to use the discrete graphics card.

@OP

Do you have one of the laptops that have an integrated graphics card *and* a discrete graphics card? You know the ones that switch between low power consumption/heat integrated graphics for basic tasks and then switch in the high power/heat discrete card for games?

If so you might want to check FSX is actually running on the discrete card and not the integrated. I've had this before on my laptop when the Nvidia software failed to recognise FSX as requiring the discrete card and would start it using the integrated card.... at 5fps. You can use the Nvidia settings in the Control Panel to force FSX (or any other application) to use the discrete graphics card.

I have never seen a laptop with 3 graphics chips and I doubt they exist.  Typically, laptops come in two flavors, with the one being a core processor with integrated graphics and then the second being the aforementioned core processor and a separate "discreet" graphics chip and that can branch into a soldered chip on mobo or an MXM card, which can be switched out.  The discreet chips can also come in two flavors, one that has optimus and one that doesn't.  Optimus tech on a graphics chip is senseless and useless for a gaming rig.  Had it and hated it because of the simple reason that FSX would always want to use the integrated "core" graphics.  It was a real bugger trying to get FSX to recognize the graphics chip and even then it was a chore getting the graphics card to run without optimus and the above statement made by Nick about setting it in the control panel didn't always work right.  

Best bet and a surefire way to get your rig running with the right graphics is to have an MXM card and NOT running the intel graphics.  It's a wicked game setting up the rig for strictly graphics card graphics, but once it's set, you're golden.  An added plus for an MXM card is that you can swap it out for a different card if you want and not have to upgrade the whole rig.

-Jim

Optimum performance with default settings and 2-3 tweaks to the fsx.cfg file. Depending on the situation (for example, GA aircraft and small Orbx airports), I use this configuration with a more than decent performance:

http://imgur.com/lzccCNr

Not recommended, of course, if you use PMDG, Aerosoft A318/A321, liners in general and other heavy addons.

Hei

I use a Clevo  Laptop with i7-4790k (desktop cpu), GTX 980m 8Gb ram and 16 Gb syst. ram

Runs FSX  installed on Samsung EVO 500 Gb SSD and Windows 10 Pro.evaluation Build 14971 on Samsung EVO 240 Gb M2 drive. 

I use ORBX scenery (Global + Norway and Aon-Airports of Norway (freeware)

i have tried most of the tweeks that have been suggested via forums the last 5 years. Most of them are crap. (for me). You can take 1000 equal PC's with same OS and you get 1000 different performance

The ONLY tweek that has functioned, is one I found last week. you can find it here:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/317839-simple-stutters-fix-for-fsx/?hl=%20fix%20%20simple%20%20fsx%20%20stutters

Funny, but it is a very smail fix (it even work under Prepar3D ver.3++)

Open Autogen/default.xml and cange in the first line

<?xml Version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?> to <?xml Version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

and that's all (Thanks to Bojote)

It gave me a boost from 10- 25 % FPS avg. and in som flights 70-90 FPS. With PMDG 737 and cloudy day, this is with all the setting set almost to MAX. ( no AI and water set to low)

Even if it is a laptop the cooling fans never runs more than low rpm . Ps I have build my own cooling board using 2x Corsair AF140 fans.

Temp under normal use 31-34 deg. (42-46 deg.  without cool.board) and 71-74 under high load ( 89-98 without board)

Janos

I'm a former FSX user, now using P3Dv3.4 (moved away from FSX about two years ago). I have a gaming laptop and usually get 30 FPS and, most importantly, in very stable conditions. One important aspect usually not mentioned about FPS is that its value should be stable, even at 20-25, in order you don't have stuttering. I would suggest moving to P3D, that's a lot more stable and fluid than FSX (apart from all other advantages), but you'd need a better rig.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Ok. Some like the mother and others like the daughter. I have tried P3D ver.3.4 for about a month, and I found that P3D have some strange drawbacks.

Somtimes very blurry textures (slow update) and the same with autogen. I like P3D , but I might return to FSX

I have FSX and P3D installed and for the moment I'm testing out different tweeks.

Most of the FSX cfg setting can be used on P3D and visa versa.

Under nearly the same setting and conditions (Aircraft, weather, scenery, Nvidia setting and so on), I found that they both have almost the same impact on my CPU/GPU.

P3D gives abit more stutters and FSX loads textures and autogen faster.

JIO

• Upvote 1