Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy RFR

Challenger 300 or DC-3?

So I have $20.00 buring a hole in my pocket, and two aircraft on sale....  The Challenger 300 is the daily deal at the org, but I also got an email last night that the LES DC-3 is on sale.

Before I just tell myself to buy both (which I likely will... no willpower here!), are there any drawbacks to either aircraft?  I note that the LES DC-3 is a few years old, how does it compare to their Saab? Are they both worthwhile purchases?

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I think the challenger is older than the DC3. However, it really depends on the kind of flying you want to do.  I own both and both are excellent. However, the DC-3 is so much more fun to me. Its really a beautiful plane and so well done.  The cockpit is one of the best, if not the best i've seen in X-plane. Yes, its slow (compared to the challenger) but its such an iconic plane and lots of fun in X-plane.

Id go for the DC-3.  The challenger and also a beautiful model and fun.

I don't think you will be disappointed with either.

Rob

I too like the look of the DC-3. I bought the Challenger 300 but frankly never fly it.

The cockpit is one of the best, if not the best i've seen in X-plane.
This surprises me. Is it as good (or better than) the SAAB 340 cockpit? I would have said THAT was the best I have seen in X-Plane.

It is a silly point - but the fact that there is no door on the DC3 puts me off a bit. 

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

+1 DC-3 the best...

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

no door on the DC3

Really?  Poor pilots!!  Actually, that would bother me a bit as well.  But it does look nice!

I'm thinking DC-3 for sure, and perhaps the Challenger another day.  We'll see if the night ends with me $20 less or $40!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

DC-3 is a great aircraft.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

A few years ago, Avsim had an X-plane 10 screenshot contest and I won 1st place with this shot of the LES DC3. I got 6 copies of X-Plane 10 and the CRJ from Aerosoft and a 787 from someone, (I forgot).  I gave 2 copies away and sold 4 on Ebay.  This was way before SKYMAXX came out.

Rob

c-47_zpsjvrlym2a.jpg

A few years ago, Avsim had an X-plane 10 screenshot contest and I won 1st place with this shot of the LES DC3. I got 6 copies of X-Plane 10 and the CRJ from Aerosoft and a 787 from someone, (I forgot).  I gave 2 copies away and sold 4 on Ebay.  This was way before SKYMAXX came out.

Rob

PS. sorry for the double post!

c-47_zpsjvrlym2a.jpg

Well, I weakened and bought it....

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

Only done a few flights around the field to get used to it. But point 1 - it is not even close to the SAAB 340A in quality or looks. It is still pretty good though, especially if you consider how old it is.

I have flown in (as a passenger) the RAAF DC-3s, so I know a little about them. Engine start and stop is not at all real. It also LEAPS into the air - no initial ground roll and initial climb out. It barely rolls it's own length before lifting off - almost a helicopter!  Might be a bug as it is quite unreal...will have to chase that up.

But once in the air, quite nice to fly. I flew in military versions of the DC3, so the insides are nothing like the version I flew in, and the sounds are quite different also.

2 hrs left for that challenger.  Grrr I want to buy it but I never pull the trigger.  Sexy biz jet does about Mach .82 tops.  But this rendition is a /A flyer only (no realistic FMS)

I think I can wait for DDEN's GL6T Global - which he said should have an FMS.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I weakened and bought both....  Ah well, you can never have too many aircraft in the hanger.  At least that's what I tell myself...  I was only going to get the DC-3, but then I saw some awesome RCAF liveries for the Challenger in the org library, so it convinced me to get that as well.

(no realistic FMS)

I understand that it integrates well with XFMC?? Which would give you what you need.

I spent a few minutes though and popped the 530 into it in planemaker.  Worked well, the plane thinks the 530 is the FMS, and displays everything properly on the pfd/mfd.  Perfect for flying as my own personal jet.

Took it for a quick hop last night (very quick hop, this thing is fast!), great flight.  Glad I purchased.

Will play with the DC-3 tonight.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Read my mind... bought it at the last hour today...  and yes it uses XFMC - and I got the latest airac for it....   need to delve into the manual more but was able to fly a semi realistic route from BFL to SAN (offline because I was too scared for PE lol)

Beautiful plane - reflections flicker a lot on my rig though (I doing a post in the SS forum now)

cl3018.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Beautiful plane - reflections flicker a lot on my rig though (I doing a post in the SS forum now)

Hope you get it sorted.  I didn't notice any reflection flickers on mine, but then I really didn't spend a lot of time panning around the outside.

I spent more time walking around the inside... I have a PS2 controller set up to do just 6 way motion plus looking around, and it's awesome for exploring aircraft (or airports).  I have to admit, there's been a few times on longer flights on a few of my aircraft where I'm guilty of leaving the aircraft on autopilot and walking to one of the seats in the main cabin, sitting down, and watching the view over the wing.  Very peaceful!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.