Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy RFR

Challenger 300 or DC-3?

Do you happen to know how to adjust the altimeter?  its probably right in front of my face as I'm skimming the manual here

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have flown in (as a passenger) the RAAF DC-3s, so I know a little about them. Engine start and stop is not at all real. It also LEAPS into the air - no initial ground roll and initial climb out. It barely rolls it's own length before lifting off - almost a helicopter!  Might be a bug as it is quite unreal...will have to chase that up.

Were you flying it in a lightweight configuration? Check your cargo/passenger weight and fuel load.

I've flown the LES DC-3 on many FSEconomy jobs as a rented plane, always close to maximum takeoff weight with cargo/pax and fuel. Otherwise the job doesn't pay enough to cover the rent. With a full load of cargo/pax and 3/4 or more full tanks, I get a reasonably long takeoff roll before rotating. It does feel a bit too nimble flown empty. 

A few things I've discovered that might be helpful to new LES DC-3 pilots:

* The primitive Sperry autopilot is realistic, but tricky to use with just the panel controls. You can get a better and more stable autopilot function for hold heading and hold altitude if you have the default X-Plane AP commands programmed on a joystick button or key, and use those to engage AP. Gently nudge the Heading Hold/Gyro window to adjust heading when it's active, and don't engage AP until you have the plane carefully trimmed out. It can't handle large excursions.

* The flaps are continuous, not incremental, and the effect as you get close to full flaps (when the secondary inboard flaps kick in) is very strong. That bit me once on a FSE flight and caused a crash. With full flaps and a full cargo load, the plane will descend steeply and you can't level off, even with full engine power. I don't know how realistic that is, but for most approaches I never go past 1/2 flaps, and I watch the horizontal gauge to know where they're set. 

* Be careful changing the fuel tank selector. It's always been a bit buggy and hard to move from main to aux tanks without glitching, at least on the model I have. So I try not to fly long distance where I have to use the aux tanks. YMMV on that.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Do you happen to know how to adjust the altimeter? its probably right in front of my face as I'm skimming the manual here

Just in case you hadn't found it yet, it's on the side panel to the immediate left of the PFD.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Yeah I found it thanks

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |