Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

P3D Intel 6700k or 5820k

Hey there,

I am looking to build a new rig around my 980ti and I was wondering where processors are for p3d.

The jury around the web is that the higher clock speed of the 6700k is best for gaming, however, we still use a very cpu intensive sim.

If I were to build a pc would having more cpu cores (intel 5820k) be more future proof and better for P3d over the skylake 6700k?

Kind regards,

Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

The review of the 6700K at Techspot among many others so far doesn't do anything to boost my confidence in this latest round of CPU's.

+1

I think that so far skylake is one of the more disappointing Intel releases in recent years. I had all intentions of building a new monster rig around the 6700k but am now reevaluating haswell e 5960X instead.

I'm in the same boat as you Alex ... 

I really hope Rob will join this thread and can shed some light what CPU can or will !hypothetically! be a better CPU for P3D V3  :dirol:

Hi Dondy!

Looking at the full balance I'm leaning towards skylake on the z170.. Looking for more feedback though

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Sometimes I hate being right. Just as any flightsimmer, I'm on the look-out for tomorrow's fastest processor today.

However, in another thread here, I was all but lambasted for casting doubts on claims that IPC alone would proffer ~50% better performance over Haswell. Give me a break. Do we have Intel shills running around here?

Funny how quiet things get when I--or anyone else for that matter--ask for results over hypotheses. Benchmarks, synthetic or otherwise, always do the best talking when talk is, er, cheap.

I just got a 6600k at 4.7 ghz from a 2700k 4.8 ghz and the results are good!

It loads now in 14 seconds as opposed to 19-20 seconds.  Texture loading is quicker.

FPS were 23 NGX YYZ worst spot for me.  They are now 33-35.  So big boost.  The single core performance of the 6600k\6700K is very good when you get all clockspeeds the same.  Big improvement for me.  Very happy.

Cheap too; my parts cost 400 at overclockers uk and I sold my 2700k stuff for 200, so it only cost 200 out of pocket and the smoothness and stutterfree performance was worth it.  I am on a 780ti.  Overclocking was easy.  Ram at 3000 mhz cls 15.

Simon

Simon

Did almost the same upgrade 2700k at 4.8 to 6700k currently at 4.6Ghz. FPS improved aound 40%. Maybe partly due to moving from 780ti to 980ti overclocked. Taxiing around UK2000 EGKK, Orbx England, UT2, ASN, same settings as before.

FSMark11 suggests 6700k at 4.5Ghz has same performance as 2600k at 5.2 Ghz.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs