Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy RFR

My Affair With X-Plane Is Turning Serious!

Well, it's been just over two months since I picked up X-Plane on Steam on a whim during the Steam Summer Sale.

I thought to myself at the time that it would be a nice platform to co-exist with my FSX install, something new to play with, but I really didn't think that anything was going to seriously replace my current platform.  After all, I have more money then I care to admit invested in scenery, a hangar full of the best payware aircraft ever released, and the oppourtunity to beta test a ton of new toys on a regular basis.

However, this morning something caught my eye... I normally start XP through the Steam right click menu in my tray, but this morning I went to fire it up from the main library page inside Steam.  Which shows the hours played...

UfX9kOcV.jpg

Now, this picture doesn't tell the whole story.  Up until 1-1/2 months ago, I had a regular FSX install residing on a SSD.  However, when I realized how much I was enjoying XP, I also quickly realized that my old, rather small SSD wasn't going to hold both sims.  So I bought a new 500gb SSD for my two sims, and proceeded to re-install FSX.  So what you're not seeing is the hundreds and hundreds (thousands?) of hours previously spent in FSX. 

But it does show my clear preference for the last two months...

I really have to admit, the XP platform is better than I ever assumed it was.  My list of wants are surprisingly small, and although I'm sure I will pop in and fly some of my gems in FSX from time to time, my ever growing library of aircraft in XP is keeping me more than busy. 

I'm also enjoying my flights more.  I'm enjoying the silky smooth performance, the amazing scenery in my area (osm data is extremely good in Edmonton, I can spot my house... and my detached garage!), the look of the mountainous areas that I like to fly into, the immersion of flying at night, the wide variety of top notch aircraft and helicopters.... the list goes on.

Long story short, I'm very glad I added X-Plane to the stable.  It's been well worth it!!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I'm pretty much exactly at the same spot you are. Bought XP during this summers Steam-sale to co-exist alongside P3Dv2, but during the last two months, I've been spending 100% of my simtime nightflying in XP. I've spent way to much money on some fantastic AC addons, Skymaxx, soundMaxx, MaxxFX and more, and the freewarescene is nothing short of amazing. My last purchase was the JARDesign A330(and the sound-addon from BlueStar Simulations) and I cannot praise that high enough, its just perfect in almost every sense. I've tried the demo a few times but was never really convinced enought to make the jump, until the sale. ...and I'm happy I did, I kinda now understand where that "XP is the future" is coming from now:-) When the IXEG 737 hits the market its gonna set a new bar for flightsimming from what I've seen from the previews, it even surpasses everything I've ever seen from PMDG. I still love everything PMDG has done and I'm really happe that they now are onboard the XP-train with their DC6:-)

That being said, XP still has its shortcoming and it wont be making P3D/FSX obsolete until the following is represented in XP(either as an addon or native);

1: A working ATC thats easy to use, both VFR and IFR

2: An AI package that does not rely on heavy user inputs on a per airport bases(like World Traffic)

3: A weather engine

4: A GPS equivalent to Flight1s GTN750/650 for GA flying

When these 4 are in place, XP will be my only sim unless LM(or any other dev for that matter) releases something new and unreal:-)

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

I'm pretty much exactly at the same spot you are. Bought XP during this summers Steam-sale to co-exist alongside P3Dv2, but during the last two months, I've been spending 100% of my simtime nightflying in XP. I've spent way to much money on some fantastic AC addons, Skymaxx, soundMaxx, MaxxFX and more, and the freewarescene is nothing short of amazing. My last purchase was the JARDesign A330(and the sound-addon from BlueStar Simulations) and I cannot praise that high enough, its just perfect in almost every sense. I've tried the demo a few times but was never really convinced enought to make the jump, until the sale. ...and I'm happy I did, I kinda now understand where that "XP is the future" is coming from now:-) When the IXEG 737 hits the market its gonna set a new bar for flightsimming from what I've seen from the previews, it even surpasses everything I've ever seen from PMDG. I still love everything PMDG has done and I'm really happe that they now are onboard the XP-train with their DC6:-)

That being said, XP still has its shortcoming and it wont be making P3D/FSX obsolete until the following is represented in XP(either as an addon or native);

1: A working ATC thats easy to use, both VFR and IFR

2: An AI package that does not rely on heavy user inputs on a per airport bases(like World Traffic)

3: A weather engine

4: A GPS equivalent to Flight1s GTN750/650 for GA flying

When these 4 are in place, XP will be my only sim unless LM(or any other dev for that matter) releases something new and unreal:-)

your list, plus ...... airport default scenery at all airports 

... It's always seems so much easier to focus on what isn't there, then to remember everything that is.

Another night, another great flight.  Just flew from KPDX to KSFO in the CL300.  I'm happy.  My original post was to highlight all the good things, the stuff that's caused a landslide shift in my sim time.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Yes, it's true that more likely than not that you are going to land at an airport without any 3d scenery. However, this is being addressed through crowd sourcing. Though, It may take a few years to reach to a point where they have a good enough coverage for the areas where most people do their flying. It will eventually happen. 

Yes, it's true that more likely than not that you are going to land at an airport without any 3d scenery. However, this is being addressed through crowd sourcing. Though, It may take a few years to reach to a point where they have a good enough coverage for the areas where most people do their flying. It will eventually happen. 

For now, try to go to Iceland, Italy, Chile or (West-)Germany, these countries have almost complete 3D default airports coverage. Here is a good map to help you get an idea (look for the airport labels with a * in them). Oh, and someone is getting busy on Mongolia, too :-)

http://x-plane.cleverest.eu/

Jan

The WED editor is so easy to use, i just populated the airports that i want to fly to to address the no default 3D buildings. If the Gateway airports keep being added not only is the world getting coverage but the default scenery going to be brilliant

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

AME GE90, GP7200 CFM56 

Have you tried the free AI package from X-plane.org where you download airlines of your choice that are low fps and then add them manually? I fly with 12 of these and has no real impact on frames. Only problem is you end up having Easyjet in North America unless you swap them out. Not a full solution but better than nothing.

The user community is amazing and very few airports are not covered, especially commercial airports.  What I do is file a flightplan and then check .org for any airport scenery that may have been uploaded.  Unless you're flying into little airstrips in VFR territory, chances are you'll find a good freeware copy.  For bigger airports, they are already included in X-Plane or you can find some great commercial versions if you have the computer power to run them.

To my eyes the scrappy low-res buildings you get in FSX/P3D at *most* default airports look not dissimilar to a large deposit of steaming doggy-doo :Sick: . In X-Plane the little time it takes to do an ICAO search on the Org for an airport, usually turns up at least a half-decent representation of the real thing, and one sometimes discovers some real gems. I *collect* these as I need them, thus gradually populating my Custom Scenery folder. Truth be told, I don't need anywhere near 25,000 airports for my VA flights and therefore prefer quality over quantity.

... It's always seems so much easier to focus on what isn't there, then to remember everything that is.

+1 +1 +1 (some peope are complaining on a quite high comfort level :smile:).

I never landed on an airport without buildings in the last 4 (or so) years.

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

Honestly, if X-Plane had a good 737NG with a 3D cockpit, I don't know how much flying I'd be doing with P3D.

NAX669.png

Nothing says you have to marry a sim and you can't "cheat" by flying another. Fly whatever floats your fancy at the time.XPX has some nice aircraft that FSX and P3D just doesn't have at a good quality level and vice-versa.

Steve, absolutely. I own all of them and bounce from one to another depending on my mood.

NAX669.png