Sign in to follow this  
stratfordman10

Continual Crashing to Desktop

Hi Mike,

If it is a TDR issue is there any way that I can rectify the problem?

Michael

Hi Michael,

Having wasted a huge amount of time in my life fruitlessly chasing problematic issues, such as this one is proving to be, I have learned that it's always worth checking the memory modules for any faults before embarking on what could be a lengthy troubleshoot.

If I were you I would download the latest MemTest86:

http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Under Windows Downloads choose the 'Image for creating a bootable USB drive'.

When the file is unzipped you will see several files - read the included instructions and you will soon have your bootable USB flash drive with MemTest86 ready to run. You may have to enter the System BIOS to ensure your system will be booting from the USB drive.

If your System has been overclocked then return it to standard clock before proceeding any further.

Test each RAM module in turn using the slot your motherboard manual advises you to use if only one module is installed.

Plug in the USB flash drive and boot.

Each MemTest test pass consists of 10 sub tests. Allow it to run 3 test passes and if ANY red text lines appear in the lower half of the MemTest screen you should regard this as a FAIL. If the first stick passes then power down, remove it, insert the second stick and reboot the system with the USB flash drive still in situ. This process may take several hours to complete so be patient.

Once you are sure all memory sticks are okay you can then move on to consider other possible causes.

Good luck!

Mike

I have tried nearly everything and yet still after 10-20 minutes p3d closes down and it goes straight to the desktop.

I then open the task manager and states the following;

Monitor IPC - 1454332 not responding

Active Sky running

Ezdok Camera running

UT2 services running

For some reason it appears that the monitor could be the problem.

Would appreciate further comments.

Michael

Michael Broom

Hi Michael,

Found this:

"There are various IPC’s which allows a process to communicate with another processes, either in the same computer or different computer in the same network.

Pipes – Provides a way for processes to communicate with each another by exchanging messages. Named pipes provide a way for processes running on different computer systems to communicate over the network.

Shared Memory – Processes can exchange values in the shared memory. One process will create a portion of memory which other process can access.

Message Queue – It is a structured and ordered list of memory segments where processes store or retrieve data.

Semaphores – Provides a synchronizing mechanism for processes that are accessing the same resource. No data is passed with a semaphore; it simply coordinates access to shared resources.

Now, I would be the first to acknowledge that I may be barking up the wrong tree. However, until you have eliminated a faulty memory module from the equation I don't believe you should be spending too much time exploring other possibilities. If it does turn out to be a memory address fault/s then the solution is simple - change the affected module and test again.

You cannot assume that your memory sticks are fault free. I know, it has happened to me on a couple of occasions over the years. A system can appear to be working normally until the right conditions come along to produce a problem. Brief memory testing such as occurs at POST (Power-On Self-Test): http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Hardware_Software/BootProcess.asp

are insufficiently rigorous to unmask many memory address faults. MemTest86 while not infallible, is far more reliable and if each module passes then you can be pretty confident that it will deliver reliable service while running within specifications.

Regards,

Mike

Mike

Many thanks Mike.

As I am not technically that savvy I will discuss this with the company that I purchased the PC from this year but I really appreciate you kind help and assistance.

Michael

Michael Broom

Okay, I understand.

Best of luck!

Regards,

Mike

I am getting a similar crash that I'm working through.  Mine goes to a black screen and the sound card buzzes.  Checking the event log, I found that I had a dump file.  Did a bit of googling and found an app called WhoCrashed that read through the dumps on my computer and pointed out that the causes were TDR mostly and a USB3 driver sometimes.  Pretty nice app.  Simple to use and there's a free home edition.

http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

EDIT: Rolling back to 347.25 seems to have solved the TDRs for me.  I didn't try any drivers in between...I just remembered that it was a good driver for me so I used it.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Most problems are fixed by updating your drivers.   This is one of the recommendations in the AVSIM CTD Guide.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Most problems are fixed by updating your drivers. This is one of the recommendations in the AVSIM CTD Guide.

Yes, seems to have helped.  But, I also think that the settings in NI can cause the issues as well...perhaps some settings cause code to get used that isn't stable or cause some arrays to overflow.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

I heard VSYNC setting causes a lot of problems.  That's why I took the entries put in my FSX.cfg by the DX10 Fixer and changed all of the entries about vsync in my NI settings.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I heard VSYNC setting causes a lot of problems. That's why I took the entries put in my FSX.cfg by the DX10 Fixer and changed all of the entries about vsync in my NI settings.

That's good to know.  I'll give that a try.  I keep adjusting other settings in NI and so far, gotten only one today and then I made another change and no more since then.  I'd guess that it's system by system.  But I may give the vsync a try.

Gregg Seipp