Sign in to follow this  
callum112233

Should I bother with PMDG 777?

Hi.

Not been active in FS recently until now. I am contemplating buying the 77 base pack. Would my system handle it nicely with these specs?

FSX (Steam Edition)

Intel i5 4670 (3.4ghz)

8gb memory

Nvidia GTX660

Also, are there any steps I can take to improve the performance/experience.

Sorry if this question has been done to death :)

Thanks.

Callum.

You should be ok with that setup but don't expect full sliders and 60fps. Even with my rig the best I get with high Graphids settings at payware airports is the very high 20s to the low 30s

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I have a 4 1/2 year old system and it handles it pretty well. You'll be fine with that system.

Just go easy with detailed addon airports, they are the real killer (along with traffic).

Bert

Keep in mind that if you ever contemplate to switch to P3D, you'll have to buy the 777 again (for even more money)

Peter

I would urge you to start with the 737.  It is a great plane for flight simming because it is used for short hops in the real world. It flies very well, has a truly awesome heads up display (worth the price of admission just for that!) and will prepare you for any other modern Boeing down the road.  I also am still not sold on the 777's fly by wire handling.  It is still difficult to manage pitch and trim on the climb out - much more so than the 777 simulator I flew at the United Training Center in Denver about 10 years ago.  The 737 however handles very nicely - though I find it harder to land well on a consistent basis when I'm not using the heads up display.  With the heads up display, landing is just plane fun!

And you should be overclocking your CPU....

So that would be my recommendation. 

Colin 

Seattle

For an intro into the jet transport category I would try the 737 first. The 777 is highly automated which is a good thing, but bad if you're just learning to fly.

supporter.jpg