Sign in to follow this  
MrJeremy

My FSX doesn't work with W10

So apparently I am one of the only people having massive problems with Windows 10 and FSX.

I will give the long version of what all has been happening.  I have a completely stable version of FSX Box running on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.  I get my upgrade to Windows 10, so to make sure everything is clean and clear.  I wipe my entire computer and reinstall Windows 7 from scratch.  I install and update everything with Windows and my hardware drivers.  I upgrade to Windows 10, update all my drivers (including video drivers) and start installing all my programs, including FSX.  When I go to run FSX, the screen is flashing black when it is loading, and then I have to go into the task manager to close it.  I restart my computer and try it again the exact same thing.  

So then I completely wipe my computer again and this time install Windows 7, and then go directly to Windows 10 before updating anything.  Then do my full updates on all drivers and everything, install Windows 10, and exact same thing as before.  So I'm starting to get pretty frustrated with what is going on.  I wipe my computer again, and get Windows 7 back up and running everything installed / updated...then put FSX on my computer, get it all configured properly and it's running like a champ.  Upgrade to Windows 10, update all my drivers...now this time FSX won't even load.  It hangs at the main splash screen.  Tried it 3-4 times, and hangs everytime.

I have no clue what is going on or how to fix it.  Any suggestions?  I just completely wiped my computer again and getting everything updated for a solid Windows 7 like if I just built the computer.  User Account Controls were disabled on all of those previous attempts also before anybody suggests that. =)

System Specs = 

Intel i6-4670k @ 3.40Ghz

8GB of Ram

Nvidia GTX 560Ti Video Card

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

If your Sim has loaded into Win10, have you tried going into the .exe file in the root folder and trying to run it with a compatibility setting to Vista/Win7? Obviously not a permanent solution if it works, but it may point you in the general direction you need to go in.

Chris

Also have you tried running in DX 10 preview this works for some...but alas I do think FSX is not working well with Win 10...I reckon it is a DX issue..this is an old program and everything is moving forward...

Dam frustrating!

All the best

Mark

Why reinstall 7 before updating to 10. You can perform a clean install with an iso written to disk.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

make sure you are not running FSX in compatibility mode.   right click on FSX/properties/compatibility/change setting for all users/ just check RUN THIS PROGRAMS AS ADIM. Hope helps.

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

Why reinstall 7 before updating to 10. You can perform a clean install with an iso written to disk.

Unless you've bought 10 and got an activation key for it, you can't. You always need to upgrade first and then read out your actual product key with ProduKey or so before you can reinstall 10 from scratch.

Source: Experience.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

I read a past post saying Windows 10 held no advantage to 7 regarding FSX, seems the whole thing is directed to social media type programs and possibly games made for 10. FSX is not a fast shoot'em car chase type program and runs perfectly well on 7 providing you have a computer to suit. I definitly wont be upgrading my dedicated rig to 10, quite content with 7.  I have just installed 10 on a spare laptop which had FS9 installed, it doesn't work anymore, so if you also have FS9 installed beware if you convert.

Echofox

No need to Run This Program As Admin.

Running FSX as Admin stopped FSX from continuously asking for activation whenever I loaded it. I found that something that I don't quite understand happened to my permissions when I installed Win 10.  Running nvidia Inspector as Administrator also allowed my to get my custom antialias to work. And Running AHK as Administrator allowed me to run FSX in borderless mode. So admin mode was a bit of a panacea in my case.

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

I read a past post saying Windows 10 held no advantage to 7 regarding FSX, seems the whole thing is directed to social media type programs and possibly games made for 10. FSX is not a fast shoot'em car chase type program and runs perfectly well on 7 providing you have a computer to suit. I definitly wont be upgrading my dedicated rig to 10, quite content with 7.  I have just installed 10 on a spare laptop which had FS9 installed, it doesn't work anymore, so if you also have FS9 installed beware if you convert.

Echofox

FSX runs better and looks better on my 5 year old Win 7 machine after upgrading to Win 10.

So admin mode was a bit of a panacea in my case.

Fair enough and good that it solved many of those issues for you!!

To reiterate what Jude Bradley said- why are you repeatedly installing Win7 and then upgrading to Win 10? A far better option and time saving also is to download a Windows 10 ISO. This is easy to do and can be loaded to a DVD or a USB. Microsoft provides a simple tool to do this. You can the clean install a pristine Win10 OS to your PC. The way you are doing it does not make sense, no disrespect intended. You will not need a product key to activate your Win 10 as it is registered with MS and will auto activate for you. You can download the ISO on any PC, does not need to be your FSX PC. The info by Bjoern is not correct. You DO NOT have to install Win10 over Win 7 after the initial upgrade.

• Upvote 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

"Note that the free Windows 10 upgrade (as well as OEM copies of Windows and pre-installed copies of Windows 10) can’t actually be transferred to a separate PC. They’re tied to a single PC’s hardware."

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

"It is not possible to use your product key for your old version of Windows to activate Windows 10, but during the initial upgrade process this key is converted into a new one. Using a special tool, you can find out the key that has been generated for you so you can make a note of it for future reference."

http://betanews.com/2015/08/07/how-to-find-your-windows-10-product-key/

Unless you've bought 10 and got an activation key for it, you can't. You always need to upgrade first and then read out your actual product key with ProduKey or so before you can reinstall 10 from scratch.

Source: Experience.

I performed clean install : Source - experience.

I performed clean install : Source - experience.

See JIm, above :)

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020