Sign in to follow this  
Bozdog

Recommended throttle for fsx

My saitek 3 lever is on it's last legs.

Can anyone recommend a replacement either 3 or 6 levers? Seen CH products any feedback on them or any others appreciated

Cheers

Steve

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

Forgot to say mainly fly Majestic Dash ,PMDG 737 and A2A Cherokee

Cheers

Quest 2

Windows 11

I have had the CH Throttle Quadrant for about 7 years, fly with it at least 5 times a week, and have had no problems. I do not use the CH software, but use FSUIPC (registered) to set the axis assignments, including reverse thrust for jets. If it broke, I would order another one immediately.

Dale

Dale

I, too, have the CH Products Throttle Quadrant.  Can't remember how long ago I bought it, but it has been completely reliable.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I use CH Products with fsuipc and it works great, very flexible. I used to have the saitek throttle which is cheaper if you only want three axes, but about the same if you want six axes (ie buy two of them).

I had a lot of issues with the saitek throttle spiking etc which seems to be an issue others have had too. So far (one year in) the ch throttles have given me no issues.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Thanks all for your re advise I don't use fsuipc, do you know if it's easy to set them up without this for reverse without having to change anything if you jump between one or 2 engine planes? My problem is on my saitek one lever (thrust) has become very twitchy have disabled that one and now using middle for thrust and right lever for flaps and assigned spoiler to a button. Wondered if perhaps easier to just buy another saitek and have 5 levers . Can fsx use two in this way?

I did try and take the throttle apart but removing /accessing the actual electronics to clean them was a nightmare and I could see myself doing more damage than I would solve

Cheers

Quest 2

Windows 11

don't bother trying to clean the pots. It will last a short while and then you'll have the same problem. The pots are simply not meant to last long.

tony

Dont throw out that throttle ! coincidentally I just had the exact same problem and also didnt want to take apart the thing because of delicate wiring and then I stumbled across a post by a simmer here that mentioned using electronic contact cleaner. You need to buy a can that comes with a long plastic "straw", you than aim the spray down into the throttle where it pivots and give them several good squirts and that fixed it straight away

ZORAN

Thx Beerwolfe sounds like that's worth a try, something like Wd40 electronic cleaner ?

I've had it 3 years now and find it great to use , thought about just getting a new one but stocks seem very scarce at present unless you are prepared to pay silly money.!!

2 of the throttles are still ok, although one is a little "twitchy" so cleaner sounds like it's worth a try before splashing out on another

Dont throw out that throttle ! coincidentally I just had the exact same problem and also didnt want to take apart the thing because of delicate wiring and then I stumbled across a post by a simmer here that mentioned using electronic contact cleaner. You need to buy a can that comes with a long plastic "straw", you than aim the spray down into the throttle where it pivots and give them several good squirts and that fixed it straight away

Just noticed maybe this should be in the hardware forum.? Apologies please move if necessary ,but I only use fsx and thought fsx users could help

Regards

Steve

Quest 2

Windows 11

the cleaner works, but only for a short time. I know, because I took the unit apart as well as the pots to see exactly what was happening. In short, the pot have a thin carbon material that rubs against a metal spring. Over time, the carbon material mechanically wears, leaving lines in the material, which are the cause of the noise.

I used the cleaner on and off for about 3 months, until I gave up.

So you'll spend 10 dollars on contact cleaner, make a mess ( hopefully not on your rug), and still be where you started.

If you're happy with the throttles, then you have to assume that they have a finite life, after which you purchase a new set. Nothing is meant to last forever.

tony

Ps. DO NOT USE WD40! It's a lubricant, not a contact cleaner.  Contact cleaners are found at Radio Shack or in an Electronics parts supplier online.  These cleaners specifically clean "electrical contacts".

http://www.homedepot.com/p/CRC-QD-11-oz-Contact-Cleaner-02130-6/202262505

Cheers flyforever , Wd40 do do a contact cleaner too as well as their standard cleaner here in UK in our Maplin stores :-)

Quest 2

Windows 11

Yours was the post that I found Glynn , you saved me from destroying my Throttle which would have happened if I attempted to open it

ZORAN

Yours was the post that I found Glynn , you saved me from destroying my Throttle which would have happened if I attempted to open it

Picked up a Can at lunchtime, hopefully get to test tonight. Does anyone know if Saitek makes them still, as most places seem to be "out of stock" or "discontinued" :-(

Wouldn't mind picking up a second one anyway

Quest 2

Windows 11

Success !! Thanks all ,the electrical contact wd40 has sorted it, all 3 levers nice and smooth now so no rush to get a replacement . All advise given here very much appreciated , :-) Steve

Quest 2

Windows 11